Boston Marathon 2009

Stay or Go? (Read 475 times)

Who needs toenails?

I'm very excited to be headed to my first Boston Marathon but my excitement is somewhat tempered by the reality of my work shedule. Undecided I definately don't want to miss out on any of "The Boston Experience" but also want to minimize the amount of time away from my job. I'm planning to fly up on Sunday morning but am torn about when to fly back. For those that have done Boston before, would I be missing part of the experience if I flew back home directly after the race--say a 7pm flight? Is it even feasible to finish the race, collect my gear, find my family, find an open T station and be at the airport no later than 5:30pm? Or am I better off sucking it up, taking the extra vacation day, hanging out post race and flying home the following morning? TIA!
    seeEricaRun

Awesome

Is it even feasible to finish the race, collect my gear, find my family, find an open T station and be at the airport no later than 5:30pm? Or am I better off sucking it up, taking the extra vacation day, hanging out post race and flying home the following morning? TIA!
      I don't see why not. I'm not sure where you're leaving from, but from downtown Boston it only takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport via Red->Silver Line.
      missy1102

hello, its also my first boston and i will also be flying out monday night (7pm)... it wasn't what i wanted but other than being a runner, i have work obligations as well Wink
        btb1490

Just letting you know that the subways are a madhouse in the hours during and after the race. If the race still started at noontime as it used to, I would say you would be really pushing your luck to get to the airport on time. With the earlier start, you should be ok to do all the things that you need to do. Good luck with your race after the race!
            ...from downtown Boston it only takes about 30 minutes to get to the airport via Red->Silver Line.
            Thats good news for me. I am staying at the Marriott Suites / Airport. Last year I stayed at the Westin Waterfront so I am hoping that it is not much more of a trip on the T
            2010 Goals
            Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
            VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
            at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
              Work or party with fellow runners? Sounds like a no brainer to me. Work is all year round but Boston ahh now that only comes once a year and maybe just once in a lifetime. I like my job a good bit actually but, vacation and spending time with the family that is what it is about! And of course running.