Boston Marathon 2009

So who's going or planning on going? (Read 709 times)

btb1490

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I am - assuming that pain in my leg is not a stress fracture.
      I am - assuming that pain in my leg is not a stress fracture.
      +1

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

btb1490

Ack! This is not what I wanted to hear! BOTH of you are dealing with leg pain? I should talk. I just had knee surgery and can't run. Maybe I should change the name of this forum to "Broken Marathon 2009". Get better guys! April is still a long way off. Plenty of time.
          I'm pretty much losing my mind, until you have to take some down time you just can't imagine how horrible it is. I don't think I have anything seriously wrong, there's just something off with my ankle that seems to radiate up to the middle of my shin. When I flex my ankle it feels like something that is supposed to slide is sticking, if that makes any sense at all. Somehow the ankle issue seems to be related to the throbbing pain in my shin, if that's possible. I dunno, I'm not smaht about these things. It hurt after BayState, but I was able to run. Then the day after a 14 miler it was killing me. It's been about a week since my last miserable run, and I'm actually feeling pretty good. I'm planning to try a really slow three miler tomorrow night, but I'll cut it off at 100 yards if it doesn't feel good. When it comes to April 20th, I'll use any and all means up to and including duct tape to get to Hopkinton. Oh please, oh please, oh please Great Flying Spaghetti Monster don't deny me this run. Smile (and sending healing vibes to both of you, we gots training to do!)

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A Saucy Wench

BadDawg - get thee diagnosed and treated! I dont have achilles pain or PF. Nope. No I dont.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

btb1490

Is anyone out there NOT injured? Cry BadDawg, I had irritated the tendons along the front of my shin once. The tendons that control your foot flexion and extension. It wasn't really the tendon itself that was irritated, rather it was the sheathing surrounding the tendon. Instead of being able to slide back and forth smoothly inside the sheathing, it was more like sliding inside of sandpaper. Not sure if what you have is the same. Ice and rest did the trick. Like Ennay said though, get it checked out if you can. Ennay... you too? Sad Ice and stretch. I got one of those Stassburg (sp?) sock things and that helped me a lot. Good luck to all.
              seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'm pretty much losing my mind, until you have to take some down time you just can't imagine how horrible it is.
                +1 Wow, we're a disaster! I'm going NUTS, and I'd there is no question I'd be out there ignoring my doctor's advice (off for four weeks) if it weren't so uncomfortable to just walk. Unfortunately, they can't do an X-Ray for a little while yet, so I won't know. On the plus side, the proximal tibia is a pretty unusual location for a stress fracture, so it isn't likely.
                  I just registered on Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a little concerned about the course though. Both the marathons I've run were super flat and hills to train on are few and far between in northern Indiana.

Dan

A Saucy Wench

Elkhart- Hey thats not too far from dh's family (Ft. Wayne). Yeah it just doesnt get much flatter than indiana. I think my first official week of Boston training will be in Ft. Wayne....we can just skip the hill run. I'm seriously thinking right now of doing boston as "No Goal". I suspect by march I'll have a goal though. But I just feel like this represents such a huge victory in my life and Boston is the party. I really just want to ENJOY it instead of being super focused on the race.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I'm seriously thinking right now of doing boston as "No Goal". I suspect by march I'll have a goal though. But I just feel like this represents such a huge victory in my life and Boston is the party. I really just want to ENJOY it instead of being super focused on the race.
                      I wouldn't say NO goal, I'm planning on a 26.2 mile victory lap / fun run. For the folks that track all the RAers at all the checkpoints there will be serious goal runners too.

E.J.

BadDawg, I saw the link to "Good Times 5k series in Lowell, MA" in you signature. My wife and I drove out to Lowell to run the Great Mill Girl Chase last year. What a great idea for a race. I think all races should have the awards given out at a bar, I even won my age group. We had a good time at Hookslide Kelly's for hours afterwards. I wish there was something like that out here.

Dan

My wife and I drove out to Lowell to run the Great Mill Girl Chase last year. What a great idea for a race. I think all races should have the awards given out at a bar, I even won my age group. We had a good time at Hookslide Kelly's for hours afterwards. I wish there was something like that out here.
                          We've had international visitors at GT5K, but as far as domestic visitors I think commuting from Elkhart IN to beautiful Lowell may be a record. Clowning around Sadly, they didn't run the Mill Girl Chase this year. It was a blast, I seem to recall I ran down all but nine of the gals last time. Great race, and Hookslide's DOES rock. Big grin There is a possibility that I'll be running in Lowell on Thanksgiving, but it looks more likely that I'll be running in Keene, NH that day. I think that means my next visit to the Mill City will be the Super 5K on Super Bowl Sunday, it makes me sad to think it will be that long before I'll be running with my beloved and motley crew of Lowellians. On the Boston front, I received my confirmation email from the BAA yesterday so I'm now officially official. It's WAY cool to see my name on the site. MTA: Misty water colored memories of the way we were. You can almost smell the beer, 2007 Kerouac 5K at Hookslide's. All the out-of-towners will be required to make the trek to Lowell and run Good Times the day after Boston, or at least tip beers with us.

E.J.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I got the confirmation email yesterday too -- they must have just confirmed the result from Baystate. And no, not everyone is injured. I'm feeling fine! Looking for a 5k PR on Thanksgiving, then I start the Boston training in earnest. I ran the Newton hills section of the course this past Sunday for the first time. This weekend I'll probably take the Green Line out to about mile 16 and run the last ten miles.
                            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                            btb1490

runrdan - can you get on a treadmill for hill workouts? It's better than nothing. But really it's as much the downhills as the uphills in Boston that you need to work on. Ed4 - congrats on the speedy Baystate marathon! And congrats on being healthy! Now go knock some wood, fast!