Boston Marathon 2009

11 weeks to go (Read 478 times)

Well I'm back on schedule this week, at least with this post. Weather resulted in cancellation of two runs last week, the icing would have made running a death-defying act. Still not a bad week, did a hilly sixteen miler with a couple miles after to get in my first 20. Started this week off with a fairly hard 5K effort of 30 seconds over my PR yesterday. Feeling it this morning for sure, my calves are less than incredibly happy. HTFU calves and get with the program, we got a marathon to run. Check out the old guy getting some air (and gasping for air...) Photo by Ted Tyler of Coolrunning (as always, LOTS more at http://www.jimrhoades.com/)

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I learned a valuable lesson (for the second time in my running career). A 15 mile long run after taking most of the week off due to snow and ice is not a good thing. Luckily I didn't break, bend, or tweak anything! Now that the mess is melting away, I hope to get back on track tomorrow and actually get some miles in before the weekend.

A Saucy Wench

Nice pic! I had such a good run/walk yesterday 13 miles - 20 minute walk followed by 5 min run/2 min walk intervals and my hamstring didnt hurt AT ALL. It didnt hurt later in the day. It didnt hurt when I got up this morning. So I went bold with 1 mile run/2 min walk and shooooomp there it went again. No warning. At least this time I felt it and stopped running immediately so hopefully not to bad of a setback Part of me wonders if I should bag boston, I think if I didnt have plane tickets already I would have. My brain is screaming - stupid to try!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Part of me wonders if I should bag boston, I think if I didnt have plane tickets already I would have. My brain is screaming - stupid to try!
          You still have plenty of time to make that decision! You never know how these things play out sometimes. Marathon training is a crazy thing. Last week I wrapped up my highest mileage month ever! I picked up the mileage to 51 miles, and, schedule permitting, I'm coming up on a 54-miler this week, which will be my highest ever (over 53.3 last August). I managed to fall in some I-don't-know-what in the Common on Thursday, and it still hasn't come out of my clothes after two washings. So, BadDawg was right not to hit the ice this week. My 18-miler was crazy brutal - I tried out a new route, not realizing how hilly it was! I'm happy it's in the bag, but my first (of three) 20-miler is coming up this Sunday, and hopefully I'll remember to take elevation into consideration.
            You still have plenty of time to make that decision! You never know how these things play out sometimes. Marathon training is a crazy thing.
            Crazy is definitely one word I would use, humbling is another. Brings to mind "mortals plan and the gods laugh", you plan and work and struggle and it all comes down to one morning. Erica does make a good point Anne, it's a long and winding road and it could still turn out really well for you. I certainly hope so. Nice job ramping up the mileage Erica, sorry to hear about your spill. I tend to have a high tolerance for boredom, so my final long runs leading up to BayState were around Lake Quannapowett in Wakefield. There are lots of people out and about, so there is some activity to take your mind off the slog. You're never more than about a mile and a half from a water fountain (there are several on the three mile loop although they are probably shut off for the winter), and it's pretty level.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

~67 miles last week. (6 days of running) 22 miler on Sunday, with miles 14 to 20 at "marathon effort". It was pretty tough after 3 fairly big weeks. Recovery week for me (took Monday off, and rode for 35 minutes on Wednesday) as I have the Myrtle Beach half marathon on the 14th. Legs are feeling pretty good today after a 5 mile tempo run yesterday (~6:30 pace). I feel like my goal time of sub 1:29 for the half is definitely within reach. Maybe even 1:28....
                ~I feel like my goal time of sub 1:29 for the half is definitely within reach. Maybe even 1:28....
                Impressive training Docster, best of luck with your half!

E.J.

Had a pretty good 20 miler today. Gotta admit........I'm getting all my runs in and hitting all my pace targets but feel like I"m just going through the motions. I think this is because I don't have any friends along for the ride. Too many are injured or planning on marathons later in the spring. I feel kind of fat and sluggish. I have to pay better attention to the nutrition. I'm hoping the excitement sinks in soon! I want to feel fit as possible for this experience. Only I control that. Happy training to everyone entering week 10!!!
                  Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
                  btb1490

Had a pretty good 20 miler today. Gotta admit........I'm getting all my runs in and hitting all my pace targets but feel like I"m just going through the motions. I think this is because I don't have any friends along for the ride. Too many are injured or planning on marathons later in the spring. I feel kind of fat and sluggish. I have to pay better attention to the nutrition. I'm hoping the excitement sinks in soon! I want to feel fit as possible for this experience. Only I control that. Happy training to everyone entering week 10!!!
                    Yeah, it's tough going it alone. But I really think once you get to Boston, the excitement in the air that weekend will make those miles worth it.