Boston Marathon 2009

Missed 20 Miler (Read 410 times)

I need some advice. Yesterday was supposed to be my first of two 20 mile runs before Boston. I'm using Boston as my last long run before the Pig. My hope is that I won't burn myself out too much if I use Boston as a 26.2 mile long run. Well, it turn out that I've caught the plague that is going around. It's really just a bad head cold, but with a chronic lung disease, I've learned not to push it too hard. So, my question is: Should I try to make up the 20? I have time, in fact my schedule for the pig shows the first 20 as this coming weekend. I'd hate to go into Boston with only one 20. My 18 last week was good, but I feel I need the confidence of the two 20's. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice.
    evanflein

Well, no real advice, but it happened to me, too. I just couldn't finish my first 20 of this cycle; made it to 15 and had to stop. So I used the next weekend, a "cutback" on my original schedule, to run a do-over and it worked like a charm. Made it 21 miles and felt fine afterwards. I'm still planning on the original 3 20-milers, with the second coming up next weekend, but I'm shortening my taper to 2 weeks instead of 3, which I frequently do anyway.
        don't panic! we have 5 weeks left, right? is it too much to do one next weekend and then next? You'd still have a 3 week taper. I'm not even opposed to the idea of a 20 miler 2 weeks out. As a matter of fact, I plan on doing 20 milers the next 2 weeks and at least 18 miles 2 weeks out. Just take them nice and easy.

Jennifer mm#1231

don't panic! we have 5 weeks left, right? is it too much to do one next weekend and then next? You'd still have a 3 week taper. I'm not even opposed to the idea of a 20 miler 2 weeks out. As a matter of fact, I plan on doing 20 milers the next 2 weeks and at least 18 miles 2 weeks out. Just take them nice and easy.
          I don't panic easily, and I'm not there yet. My initial plan was a 20 this week, a small cutback next week and then a 22 on the 28/29th. The thought was this would simulate the two marathons in two weeks. Depending on how I feel, I may well do a 20 this week and my 22 on the 28/29th. Or, hold that until the first weekend in April. As long as nobody thinks I'm crazy for doing a 22 two weeks out.
            20 miles, give or take, 2 weeks before a marathon is how I do every marathon. with long runs every 2 weeks it makes sense to me that the last training long run is 2 weeks out then the marathon falls right into the regular training routine. My last long run will be the first weekend in April.
            2010 Goals
            Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
            VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
            at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
              I don't think you're crazy Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

I don't think you're crazy Big grin
                You obviously don't know me well! Wink
                  define: crazy Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

define: crazy Big grin
                    26.2 + 13 days + 26.2 = crazy!
                    seeEricaRun

Awesome

26.2 + 13 days + 26.2 = crazy!
                      When you're in the loony bin, the standards for crazy are a lot higher than in the outside world. I did that last fall, and I don't think we're even scratching at the walls of crazy, as RA goes. Folks here have set the standards pretty high. In other news, it sounds like you already have a plan for the missed 20-miler. Make sure you report back on cutting your taper short - I've heard magical things about it, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. Okay - off to hash out that 17-miler I've been putting off.