Boston Marathon 2009

Travel advice (Read 556 times)

lawkota

My first time running Boston and my first time visiting as well. I was thinking of arriving Friday - is that enough time to get a first timer's look at the city or should I give myself an extra day? Through a rewards program I can get a room fairly reasonably near the World Trade Center, which I think is about a mile from expo/finish area. Would this be a good place to be? I really don't want to rent a car. Any help at all would be appreciated.
    btb1490

You are correct about not wanting to rent a car in Boston. I'm not too familiar with the World Trade Center area of Boston, other than the fact that the marathon expo was held there a couple of years ago. From what I recall, it's a nice spot. Check to see how close a Metro stop is to your hotel. If one is close by, you are golden, because that's your ticket to getting around the city. Some hotels offer shuttles to the metro stops as well, so check on that. The thing I like about Boston is that you get a big city feel in a city that really isn't that big. So depending on what you want to do in the city, you can cover a fair amount of ground in a short time. One thing you may want to consider, if you are really looking to do some sightseeing, is to look at one of these: http://www.gobostoncard.com/?GCID=S18000x006-3231-BOBGTgoAll&KEYWORD=go%20boston%20card&MATCHTYPE=search You'll get discounts at a lot of the more popular places, and will also get some good ideas of things to do while there. One of my favorite things to do was to take a self guided walking tour of the Freedom Trail. You pick up a map at the Boston Commons, and get a device that tells you about the things you are seeing along the way. You just key in a number from the map, and you listen to a recording that tells you about where you are. Hope this helps. I don't live in Boston, so hopefully someone more local can give you other insight to the city.
      lawkota

Thanks btb - very helpful. A subway stop is only a few blocks away.
          last year i stayed at the Westin Waterfront which is right near the World Trade Center. It is very near 2 different subway stops and allows easy access to the expo. you need to use the transportation to get to the expo though. I don't think you would neccesarily want to walk. the nice thing with the transportation system is that you can get a 1 week pass for like $10-15 then you have unlimited access to the system for as long as you are there and you can get to just about anywhere easily.
          2010 Goals
          Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
          VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
          at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
            Ask a Bostonian how to get to "the metro" and you'll just get a blank stare. The subway is known locally as the T, and with a weekly pass "Charlie" ticket is a real bargain at $15.00. You could easily hit that cost in a day if you are paying cash and coming and going from the system. $15.00 for 7 days Unlimited travel on Subway, Local Bus, Inner Harbor Ferry, and Commuter Rail Zone 1A. 7-Day Pass valid for 7 days from the date and time of purchase. (from http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/passes/) And since you're prepaid, you won't have to suffer poor Charlie's fate. (original version by the Kingston Trio, note that the fare was ten cents and the transfer fee was five cents) Well, let me tell you of the story of a man named Charlie On a tragic and fateful day He put ten cents in his pocket, kissed his wife and family Went to ride on the MTA Well did he ever return, no he never returned And his fate is still unlearned (what a pity) He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston He's the man who never returned Charlie handed in his dime at the Kendall Square station And he changed for Jamaica Plain When he got there, the conductor told him "one more nickel" Charlie couldn't get off of that train. But did he ever return, no he never returned And his fate is still unlearned (poor old Charlie) He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston He's the man who never returned Now all night long Charlie rides through the station Crying "what will become of me?" "How can I afford to see my sister in Chelsea?" "Or my cousin in Roxbury?" But did he ever return, no he never returned And his fate is still unlearned (shame and scandal) He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston He's the man who never returned Charlie's wife goes down to the Scollay Square station Every day at quarter past two And through the open window she hands Charlie a sandwich As the train comes rumblin' through.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

lawkota

That is neat that the pass is actually called a "CharlieCard" by the MTA. Again, thanks for all the help.
                My first time running Boston and my first time visiting as well. I was thinking of arriving Friday - is that enough time to get a first timer's look at the city or should I give myself an extra day? Through a rewards program I can get a room fairly reasonably near the World Trade Center, which I think is about a mile from expo/finish area. Would this be a good place to be? I really don't want to rent a car. Any help at all would be appreciated.
                I'm arriving on Friday as well. I'll also be staying at The Seaport Hotel, which is across the street from WTC. If I remember correctly, there is a Silver Line T stop right at the Seaport. So, you should be able to get around easily.
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The World Trade Center is not bad, but just so you know it's not really centrally located. To get from there to the finish, for example, you probably need to take the Silver line to South Station, then the Red line to Park, then the Green line to Copley. Unless your hotel has a shuttle that goes somewhere more convenient. The area around the World Trade Center is kinda sterile and full of big empty convention buildings, ferry terminals, and cargo docks. If you want restaurants/tourist sites/culture, it's not great. That's probably why you can get a good rate on a hotel there -- the ones in better locations are ridiculously expensive race weekend. That said, it's probably a good compromise between convenience and price. You can still get into the more fun parts of town in about twenty minutes.
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                    Charlie card for a week is worth It. You don't need a car in Boston. Unfortunaley since I'm driving I still have to pay parking. I like extending the stay after the race so you don't have to kill yourself doing all the touristy stuff before the race. I'm staying from Saturday to Tuesday right now at the Boston harbor hotel. I'll just relax at the hotel and down by Quincy market before hand. I. Found walking around the city right after the race helps with recovery. Last year the weather was beautiful and the cherry blossoms were out in full in back bay.
                      I'm staying from Saturday to Tuesday right now at the Boston harbor hotel. I'll just relax at the hotel and down by Quincy market before hand.
                      Dude, them is some nice digs. I've been to a couple functions at BHH, it's top shelf.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I lucked out and got a pretty good deal on the place. A lot less than what it is going for now. My rate I have is cheaper than any other decent hotel I saw in downtown Boston. Its a little far from the finish, etc. etc. but I'll manage Big grin
                        seeEricaRun

Awesome

Charlie's wife goes down to the Scollay Square station Every day at quarter past two And through the open window she hands Charlie a sandwich As the train comes rumblin' through.
                          You forgot both the opening and the last verse: These are the times that try men's souls. In the course of our nation's history, the people of Boston have always rallied bravely whenever the rights of man have been threatened, but today, a new crisis has arisen. The Metropolitan Transit Authority, better known as the MTA has threatened to levy a burdensome tax on the people in the form of a subway fare increase. Citizens, hear me out. This could happen to you: Now, ye citizens of Boston, don't you think it's a scandal How the people have to pay and pay? Fight the fare increase! Vote for George O'Brien and get poor Charlie off the MTA! Also, the original pre-dates the Kingston Trio, though I'm not sure who the original writers/performers were - I'm sure Google knows.