Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread 2/24 - 3/1 (Read 289 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow, Congratulations to Chickadee for finishing the Couch-to-5K program! Cool Cool Cool I thought I'd start the weekly thread this time. This week I'm continuing to work on making running a more "normal" part of my routine. I decided about two weeks ago that for my life, "If it's morning and I"m not at work or clinicals, I run" is how I want to approach my running. That is to say, I want to run in the earlier mornings, before class, and to have that be a habit rather than a super-planned item. What I've BEEN doing with my workouts is on Sundays to sit down with my calendar and see when I can do what. I did this because I felt that I was so busy that I otherwise wouldn't exercise at all. The end result was that I had every workout planned in advance, very organized and regimented... but I was starting to lose motivation. I knew on Thursday I would have a 5.4 mile trail run because that was what I had scheduled... and if on Thursday I wanted to do an easy 2 miles around a lake on a paved trail, that was just too bad. I tell ya, that can suck the fun right out of your running! So, I thought I'd borrow a page from the book of some of the more experienced runners on this board. Specifically, I got this from mikeymike. Mikeymike gives good running advice, by the way, if you see him out there. One of the lines he is famous for is "Runners run." It's that simple. Wink Anyway, I remember hearing him (and multiple others) talk about how running is just something they do... it's a habit, it's a part of their lives, it's not a big deal it's just THERE! I was making way too big a deal out of it. So... that's what I'm trying for. I've found a time in my day that's predictably available four days a week (7 AM), and I have scheduled that as time for running. Period. It's not a habit yet, but that's my new goal. I want to decide at the last minute (or mid-run!) where I'm running and how far. I want to have the question be not "how am I going to find time to run today" but rather "what am I going to do today after my run?" Something I'm learning is that my approach to running is constantly changing. What I get out of it changes. What I put into it changes. But it continues to be important to me. (For our newer members, I used a modified and extended version of the Couch-to-5K program to get started on my running a couple of years ago, and continue to believe in it...)

Roads were made for journeys...

Loose Cannon

Hi, Wingz, how is your non-planning plan working? It sounds like a simple way to keep things fun and fresh. It must be so nice to be in the position of being able to say that you have the option of doing a 5.4 mile run! You give the rest of us hope. Wink I did week two day one of C25K yesterday. I was able to jog the full 90 seconds for the first two intervals, almost made it the third interval, and did not do the full intervals for the last three. So there's room for improvement there. I had to use the indoor track, which is 1/24 of a mile so it's a pretty tight oval AND the corners are cambered up (I think that's the right way to put it, it's like a mini-hill at each corner) so I think I might do better in the gymnasium. It just wasn't open when I went yesterday. Oh, well, I remind myself that my first try at week one day one I didn't jog more than one whole interval and by the end of last week I could do all 8, so progress is on the way.
      Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Rache/ladeyveg - You're really improving! I love how you look for alternate ways to do things if "plan A" doesn't work out. That is DEFINITELY the way to go! Cool Personally I hate running on indoor tracks, but do okay on treadmills. *shrugs* Some people can't stand treadmills. I guess we're all different! Big grin And YES, absolutely remind yourself of your improvements and past accomplishments! It is the successes we have in the past that give us the courage to keep on trying! Give yourself a big pat on the back for sticking with it and being a real winner!!! Cool

Loose Cannon

I knew I'd do better in the gym! I did week 2 again today and jogged ALL the intervals. I think I found my stride, I kept reminding myself "baby steps" while I was jogging. I had to laugh, I was calling it the "pee-pee shuffle" because I thought I looked like I really had to get to a bathroom but was trying not to run to get there. I don't know if that makes any sense. Blush I have nothing against treadmills besides my bad habit of hanging on. I'm so afraid I'll fly off the end of the dang thing that I'm too chicken to let go of the sides. I also am concerned about figuring out exactly how many MPH to walk or run. I'm very short, so 3.0 MPH is a brisk walk for me. I don't know much to turn it up when I do my jogging intervals. So I just do it the old fashioned way. I live near a state park with nice trails and I thought when the weather is better and the snow melts and dries up I might try running there for a change. Have you done much on trails? Do you think it's something that would work for a beginner?
          Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
            I finished week 9 last week and forgot to post! That makes me a two-time C25k graduate. Smile I hate to say it, in case it encourages anybody to slack off, but the second time really was easier than the first. My big goal now is continuing to run three times a week until March 27 -- that'll be three months of running three times a week, and people say that's when you're officially addicted. I'm also doing a 5k on the 17th, which is terrifying. For training, I'm doing the One Hour Runner program, which is less ... serious than some other training programs, but I think I need the extra base building for now. I'll do a Hal Higdon when I'm done. Good luck, everybody!
            obiebyke

Yeeha Hathorne! Nice work. Let us know how 1Hr. works for you. That's my next thing, too. 8 more runs until I'm done with C25K, providing everything goes smoothly... Huh, is there a one hour runner user group? I'm going to look. Veg-- you rock, too. I pressed post before adding that. Nice work! Keep at it. Gotta put in another plug for facing your treadmill fear. Start it at 2.0 and listen to your body. When the rate seems to match the walk and run pace that you do on solid ground, that's the pace you want. Easy bambeezy. But trails would rock, too. MTA: I just finished W7D2. Woohoo! I also had a bit of a runner's rite of passage. You see, my dryer is broken, so I was forced to run in suboptimal socks. Well, during the course of my 25 minute run and combined 10 minute warmup/cooldown, I managed to get a blister, burst it, and BLEED THROUGH MY SOCK! Yes, I'm weird, but that makes me kind of proud. I'll just give it a good scrub and try to remember to put some liquid bandage on it before my next run. Otherwise, it was a good run.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

RookieRider

Hi gang. Monday I rode 30 minutes on the trainer/bicycle. That felt great. I slept really good that night. Tuesday I tried w2d1. It was tough. I started feeling the pain in my shins again along with the feeling of my knee and ankle being weak. I made it through 90 second of running the first time and 60 seconds the second and third time then I walked 15 minutes then stretched. I was disappointed in my progress but I am so glad I at least got to the gym and tried. I'll be back at the gym tomorrow trying again. I'm going to kick this c25k in the pants. Wingz - Not planning works for me too. What you're saying makes so much sense. Ladyveg - To me it sounds like better scenery and fresher air when walking at a park. I can't wait until I can do that too. Pee-pee-shuffle. Big grin That's funny. hathorne - Congrats on completing the c25k. I'm sure you are so proud.
                2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Nancy - I'm concerned. What I've understood of what you've said, you tried taking a few days off from running, but when you went back to running the same pain was still there, only this time it was accompanied by "weakness" in ankles and knees? I'm not a doc, but I'm 99% sure that's not normal. We runners have to be proactive about taking care of ourselves! Doing anything else is a short, quick trip to the end of a running career! Do I understand you correctly? If so, I'm thinking it's time to find that doc and get those legs checked out. Continuing to run on injuries does NOT make you a better runner - in only makes you a more injured runner. I'm not saying you can't get through this program... but I am thinking you need to get checked out and get to the bottom of what's causing the problem! If you don't fix the problem, chances are pretty good it won't fix itself... and can put you "on the bench" in no time. Hathorne - congratulations on finishing the program! Cool Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan! Enjoy that race! I know it's scary the first time, but it's also fun... there's a lot of adrenaline and excitement that comes out on race day that we don't have to deal with when we're "just" running. obiebyke - I know you're chomping at the bit, wanting to go faster. Hang in there - runners MUST be patient. If you weren't before starting running, it'll help you develop it, lol! You're doing great... just a few weeks left in the program! ladyveg - I love trails, and there's no reason a beginner can't run on them. Things to watch out for: depending on the type of trail, rocks, roots, uneven surfaces, slippery piles of leaves, etc. I have twisted and sprained my ankle so many times on trails it's almost funny. I've also fallen down a number of times. (I'm a slow learner when it comes to things like that, lol!) So my advice would be don't go anywhere without a cell phone (if you have one) so that if you need to call for help you can. Know that if you twist your ankle while you're out on the trail if it's just a mild sprain you actually CAN run on it - progress from stand to limp to walk to jog to run as it loosens up - but you STILL need to ice it and take care of it when you get home, otherwise your recovery period will be longer. If you can find someone to run with you, take the company. Don't expect your speed to be the same on trails as on pavement. It'll be slower. Perhaps significantly so. Just run by "feel" rather than your watch. Trail running uses slightly different muscles (and more stabilizers) than TM or pavement running, so don't make a sudden jump to trails - just throw one in here and there and kinda work up to longer distances with them. And, from my personal experience, doing a lot of downhill running on trails, while fun, is really the most dangerous time. If you don't fall, you also risk knee strain or IT band pain... so if it's steep, walk DOWN and jog up as you are able. As for TM speeds, experiment with it. If 3.0 is a "brisk walk" then why not see what it feels like to jog at 3.0? If that's too slow, just gradually start inching it up. Give it a minute or two at each speed so you can see what it feels like to you. Experiment a bit. Don't look at what anyone else's treadmill says - that's pointless. Also, consider putting it on a slight incline. "Slight" = 1/2 of a % or 1%, not 10%. There's a lot of debate and a lot of reasons about this, some of which I don't understand or agree with, but I find my running speed is more similar if I have it on a slight incline when comparing speeds on the ground outside.

obiebyke

Wingz, you're like my running fairy godmother. I'm SO impatient, but don't worry, I won't add a day until after I'm done with C25K and recovered from my first race. I have two layers of liquid bandage on my foot today, but it's still a little sore. I scared the crap out of the cats last night when I first put antiseptic on it. Man, that hurt! And I can feel that the pain from that blister made me compensate with funny muscles. But no injuries, just a little muscle soreness. Hurray for days off!

skinnycaponesugar

Hi everybody! I'm slowly making my way around the forum, there is so much to read and learn Shocked Congratulations everyone for completing another week or day on your plan. Stick with it, rain or shine, rest if you need to, but do not let go of what you've already achieved Wink I too have finished, and let me tell you, if I can do it, anyone can....I WAS a self-proclaimed non-runner, but now I just run and I love it. So much that I'm thinking of getting a treadmill to start adding a day here and there, without my husband getting annoyed at me. I already disappear on him 3 times a week. My experience with treadmill isn't very encouraging, I've come off a couple of times Blush, so like ladyveg, I'm a bit nervous. But I'm sure I can learn... Hathorne, I have my 5k graduation race on the 16th, will have to check again and see how we did!...It'll be great, no doubt Big grin By the way, Wingz, excuse my ignorance BUT, what do you do in a race? do you go faster than your usual pace or just keep it the same?

Love, Run, Sleep

Wingz

Professional Noob

By the way, Wingz, excuse my ignorance BUT, what do you do in a race? do you go faster than your usual pace or just keep it the same?
                        Hi, Chickadee! The "goal" of a race is to cover the distance as fast as you can. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean starting out at a sprint. If you do that, you'll be tired within 100 yards and the rest of the race is no fun. It's really easy to start out too fast in a race. I mean REALLY easy to do! You ARE going to be running faster than you normally do. The trick is figuring out HOW MUCH faster. Too much faster and you won't be able to hold it and will end up either walking or going so much slower than you could overall. Not enough faster and you won't race your potential. It takes a little practice to find your "race pace." I see you've been averaging a bit under 12 minute miles. Is that a "conversational" pace for you? That is to say, could you (or do you) hold a conversation with someone while you're at that pace? If you run alone, try to recite the pledge of allegience while running at that pace. If you can, that's "conversational" (or slower, lol!). If it is, I'd guess that you probably could finish in around a half hour. Give or take a few minutes. Don't line up at the front of the pack. The people who are trying to win the race will be there... and you'll get trampled. They'll probably be running 5-6 minute miles for the whole race. Instead, for your first race and until you get a better feel for your pace, line up at or near the back. It's more fun to pass people during a race than to be passed, anyway, so the more people you start behind the better. When the gun goes off (or whistle blows, or however they do it), pretty much everyone will take off running faster than they should be. Try not to get cought up in the stampede. Being in the back also helps with that. However, with it being your first race, chances are you won't get the timing just right. Your goal is to be able to run "strong" through the whole thing and finish feeling like you could NOT run another half kilometer. Oh. And if they have water stops, get your cup and move over to the side to drink. Do NOT try to drink and run on your first race - that's a good way to either choke or wear your drink. Been there. Done that. Both ways. Blush Instead, walk with it, and pitch your cup where the other runners are pitching theirs. Good luck! Have fun! And, once you get home from the race, start scouting out another one to do in a few months. Chances are REALLY good your next race will be faster! Cool It's fun to see how your times get faster, and each time you get faster you set a "PR" ("personal record") and get to celebrate! Big grin

obiebyke

Hey, all-- I got my bday Garmin in the mail from my dad today, but I'm not supposed to open it until my actual bday, which is next Thursday. Sad What do you think? Should I open it anyway and say I didn't? Today is W7D3. Truckin' along and overjoyed with how it's going. Congrats to everyone, no matter where you are in the program. Here's to a beautiful sunny weekend!

quagga

Obiebyke -- I think you should open the Garmin and charge it, but not use it until your birthday. Happy birthday in advance, in case I miss it. Thanks for all your great comments, Wingz. They are much appreciated! ETA: I ordered a RoadID last week and it just came in. I ordered the dog-tag style on a chain and I wore it on yesterday's treadmill run - (3 miles yay me). The cats were scared to death of the jangling it made when I took it out of the mailer. I think they thought a dog was in the house. It cracked me up!
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

I like quagga's compromise on the birthday present. Of course, you want to make sure it's really working... Evil grin

Loose Cannon

Woohoo, finished week two today! I decided that if I could do all the jogging intervals two times out of three, that I would move on to the next week. So Monday, week three it is! It seems like a big jump, going from 90 seconds at a time to 3 minutes. Was that a hard transition for you who have passed that point? Congrats to Chickadee and hathorne! Obiebyke, I don't think it would even be a question for me--I'd be wearing that Garmin already. Wink lancesmom, I agree with Wingz, you should get your leg seen by a doctor! Wingz, thank you for all your comments, the race information was especially helpful!