Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly thread - June 8-14 (Read 325 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obiebyke - I'm never going to catch up to you. You're on W9 already???? mimi73 - glad to hear your run went well. You are doing great! CanadianMeg - I agree - W5D3 is a major confidence booster. Keep up the good work! unlapsing - your post made me laugh. We all have those days of not wanting to get off the couch. Just don't let it happen too often. Big grin wingz - we haven't had any updates from you in quite awhile. What are you doing these days?
    obiebyke

Aw, jb. Come and get me, girl! Guys, I'm really proud today. I worked really hard at the office and even stayed an hour late. Then I still got out to run when I got home. And it was a record! OHR W9D3: 4.20 miles in 53:58!!!! No stopping (okay, there were a couple of traffic lights. Sue me. Wink ) I almost wanted to do the extra six minutes and hit the hour, but I made myself stop. My IT bands in my hips are a little sore, but otherwise I feel great! Woohoo! I can feel 5 miles just around the corner...

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Aw, jb. Come and get me, girl! Guys, I'm really proud today. I worked really hard at the office and even stayed an hour late. Then I still got out to run when I got home. And it was a record! OHR W9D3: 4.20 miles in 53:58!!!! No stopping (okay, there were a couple of traffic lights. Sue me. Wink ) I almost wanted to do the extra six minutes and hit the hour, but I made myself stop. My IT bands in my hips are a little sore, but otherwise I feel great! Woohoo! I can feel 5 miles just around the corner...
        Excellent! Big grin You will hit that one hour and 5 miles soon! I'm sure of it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow. I hope I'm posting something like that in 9 weeks. Great job!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, jb944. I've been trying to get over some IT band issues with both my knees and hips. Black eye The knees have been better, but the hips continue to plague me. Last night I bought some different shoes. I don't seem to pronate as much as I did when I started running, and that means I can probably blame my problems on my shoes. Angry My new shoes have less arch support than the ones that I'm blaming my IT problems on. Hopefully my feet will like them better. Black eye So, I've been running just one mile, every other day, on a treadmill. Today after work I'm going to increase it to 1.5 miles and see how that goes. I've not had any knee pain since starting these short little runs, but the hips just don't seem to be getting better! My hope is that the new shoes will keep me from irritating the IT bands more and that the stretching I've been doing will keep things from becoming too tight and rubbing more. *crosses fingers* Wish me luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obiebyke - awesome job! wingz - sorry to hear about the IT band. I have found the foam roller to be very helpful (although somewhat painful) for that. Good luck with it - it sounds like you are taking it easy and letting it heal. On another note, I just posted the garlic shrimp recipe on the other group forum. It is super easy and delicious. Enjoy!
              theyapper

On the road again...

Got out for my run this morning before it got too hot (it was still 80 degrees and 60% humidity) and did my OHR Week 1, Day 2 run. I felt like I took it pretty easy and ran 3.25 miles in 33:37. Felt great to run a distance that's longer than a 5k. It was also the first run that I really felt like I had control over the mental part of running and also had a good rhythm with my turnover and breathing. Can't wait till Friday!

Paul

I went out tonight on my very first run with my DH.
                  Sounds like you guys had a good run! I really want to try and get my husband to start running. I'm trying not to hit him over the head with the idea, I just keep telling him how easy the Cto5K makes it. I think his past experience with running was conditioning for cricket - which means they were forced to run before "real" practice. He needs to do something - I think he's more addicted to his laptop than I am to mine! I started W2 of Cto5k yesterday and it felt really good. I'm following the same course that I used for week one and though some variety would be interesting, it's interesting to compare how far I go on each run. Admittedly, I'm thinking of switching over to trail running in the park since I've been taking my dog with me. She habitually has to poop about 1/2 of the way through the run - which means I have to carry her little "present" with me for the rest of my run. Yuck!! Tongue (TMI?!) Honestly, I'm mentally moving forward way faster than my body is. I want to be in awesome shape NOW! I want to go run four miles at a good pace NOW!! I have to keep reminding myself to just relax and let it happen. Eight weeks is not that long and before I know it, I'll be finished and ready to move onto the next challenge.
                  ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                  obiebyke

Wingz--take 'er easy and get better. yapper and meewolfie-- nice! Thanks for the congrats, guys.

Just so you know, I'm still here, but I have my first race on Friday (2 mile road run). I have been just trying to run as much as I can in 20-25 minutes without regard to the program. I will start back again next week at W4D1. I'm pretty nervous for Friday because I think I should have been pushing myself harder, but it's so dang HOT out. The race is at 7:15pm on Friday, so that's better than in the hot afternoon.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

obiebyke

Good luck on the race, gruetzgirl! You'll be fine.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I am back into it properly now. Completed Day 2 of week 5 today (2 x 8 min runs) and felt really good afterwards. Next time it rains, I won't be such a wuss! Keep going everyone

50 halfs by age 50

Looks like this is where all the cool people hangout. Cool Can I play too? I finished W4D2 today with no problems. I'm doing a modified version of C25K, trying to do the 3 weekly runs on the program but continuing my regular LR on Sat as before. I'm on my 4th year of running but have always done run/walk. I'm currently at R5/W2 min so thought I'd jump into W4 of C25K which looked comparable. Today was 2.12 miles on the TM in 31:32 min (I threw in a 5 min cooldown at the end). It's waaaay slower than what I do outside but was very comfortable. Looking forward to getting to know everyone! Mel

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

obiebyke

Sweet, Mel! I ran for a few months before getting stuck at, like, R4W1, and that's when I started C25K. It's a good unsticker. Curious--I couldn't tell for sure from your log--on Saturdays, do you do the R5W2 pattern, for 5 miles? That's the plan? That's cool. I can't wait to add a fourth day (but I will).

theyapper

On the road again...

I can't wait to add a fourth day (but I will).
                                Man. That's EXACTLY how I feel. I'm trying to be very disciplined about how much I add and how fast. When I got done with my run today I knew I could have gone longer. I don't think 4 miles would be unthinkable, but I don't want to rush it. That being said, has anyone ever skipped ahead to the 4th week of OHR? Never mind, I just slapped myself for even thinking it.

Paul