Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 5/4 through 5/10 (Read 288 times)

Finished W8D2 today Big grin Didnt feel as good as D1 but still doable.
    Yelie
    Wingz

Professional Noob

hi guys, I'm somewhere in the middle of OHR, I just finished week 4 the other day. can I join? I think this would give me motivation to stick with it.
      Welcome, eyedocguy! I got your name on our chart; you can't stop now! Big grin How's the running going?

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Finished W8D2 today Big grin Didnt feel as good as D1 but still doable.
        Yellie, you're going to be done soon! Shocked Big grin

Wingz

Professional Noob

I just did my 1st 20 minutes with w5d3. Big grin Lungs were fine, legs still a little tired from Saturdays 5K. Allergies under control - hurrah! I learned that the route I took today is NOT a good one unless I want to be going uphill most of the way back. Ooops. Kept running though - just at a even slower pace. Happy to be doing a couple more intervals before the next long run. So, Wingz - you can finally move me up to Week 6 day 1. YEAH!!!
          Good job, Moonstar. Smile And you're right - that's exactly how you handle hills. You just keep going. Go ahead and slow down the pace until it feels like you're going at the same effort level as before. (Note: this means you get to speed up on the downhills in order to keep the same effort level too!) Sometime later - like a year or two from now - you may want to consider adding "hill workouts" where you're running up hills ... quickly ... on purpose in order to strengthen your legs. But for general conditioning, which is where you're at right now, it's better to just try to keep a constant effort level.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Covering more distance in the same amount of time is very cool.
            Big grin Cool

squeiladee

Can I join? Can I join? Shy I just re-graduated (3rd time in the past 3 or 4 years or so) from C25K. Well, really I just skipped the final weeks by starting to run 30 minutes after the W5 20 minute run. Working out fine so far. I'd like to get to an hour of running on Sat, but need to keep my week day runs shorter (new baby, work an hour from home, etc.) Is there any problem with me running 4x per week and still do the OHR? I guess I'm on W2 of OHR. Did W2D1 yesterday, I suppose.
              2008 Goals (not set until April...): 5K Goal: <30 min="" 10k="" goal:=""></30><65 min="" hm="" goal:=""></65><2 hr, 30 min weight goal: 125 (current 148.2) hr,="" 30="" min="" weight="" goal:="" 125="" (current="" 148.2)=""></2 hr, 30 min weight goal: 125 (current 148.2) >
              colinw

Can I join? Can I join? Shy I just re-graduated (3rd time in the past 3 or 4 years or so) from C25K. Well, really I just skipped the final weeks by starting to run 30 minutes after the W5 20 minute run. Working out fine so far. I'd like to get to an hour of running on Sat, but need to keep my week day runs shorter (new baby, work an hour from home, etc.) Is there any problem with me running 4x per week and still do the OHR? I guess I'm on W2 of OHR. Did W2D1 yesterday, I suppose.
                I am running 4x per week as well, and I am doing the OHR program. I think if you feel fine doing it go fo rit, but if you are getting sore and your body is complaining it is time to slow things down. As long as you're not increasing speed or distance too much each week you should be fine with 4x per week running.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome! Got you on the OHR chart.

Puffer, not huffer

W7 D1 done! I actually ran a little over 26 minutes--I had what I call "next block syndrome" (when I tell myself "oh, just run one more block...you can do that easy!") but I'm still just under the 2.5 miles that I'm supposed to be running. Oh well. Speed will come, right? It was a perfect Oregon day for running--overcast and in the 50s. Running in the sun in Monday was a challenge! We just don't see it that often here. Big grin
                    MoonStar

I wouldn't worry about if you are at a 10 minute mile or not yet. It's pretty cool you can run that far now isn't it! I am averaging 14 minutes/mile - and am happy I just finished my 1st 20 minute run. That means I made it almost 1.5 miles. Which is more than 3x what I could when I first started. It does seem like a slow process though doesn't it. I found another 5K for June 14th which gives me 5 weeks to double my endurance if I am going to make it the whole way without walking. What do you think, Wingz? I didn't see any in July - maybe it's to hot then?
                        Here's a funny story--normally I run on the treadmill in the weight room @ my school, kept company by about 35 high school football players. Today I went there and was met by a couple of the kids I know well who greeted me with "whatever you do, DON'T open that door--it stinks SO bad in there". These are kids who like to try to out fart each other just for the pure joy of grossing each other out... so if they didn't want to go in there, it had to be baaaaadddd. It seems that we had an overpowering stench of cow manure that had filled our weight room--how, we don't know, but it was definitely there. So I caught up with a couple of my friends who were going out walking, and we fast walked about 3-3.5 miles *away* from the smell. Then I ran for about 10 minutes on the TM because I hadn't sweated enough. (They had aired out the room quite a bit by then.)
                          W5D1 of OHR done! Oh I know this might be vane, but do you think you could list my name under C25K grads too? too funny pole pole
                          2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
                          MoonStar

w6d1 done. On treadmill as it was raining again. Clowning around Went up to 5 mph on the 2 5 min. runs. THAT managed to get my lungs tired before my legs. Shocked Hopefully can go outside for Sat. run.
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

LaineT - yes, speed will come. However, it's waaaay too early in the game for you to be stressing about speed. Everyone does, but really it's not necessary. All you need to do right now in order to get better is to keep gradually increasing the quantity of running you're doing. Gradually, in order to keep from getting hurt. This 2.5 miles you say you're "supposed" to be running? I think they put those distances out there as averages or general guidelines, but everyone's different. Some people are naturally fast; everyone else has to train for it. Wink Moonstar - I think it's totally doable for you to try a June 14th 5K. You've already done one, so you understand how the excitement of the event makes you want to run faster. If you manage to avoid going out too fast at the beginning, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to cover the distance without walking. Keep up the good work with your training! You're making real progress. Polepole - one word: Peew! Dead eyedocguy - you're on! How's the OHR program treating you?

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Just got back from another 30 minute run - I'll call this OHR W2D3. I've done some other intervals this week, so I didn't count them for the OHR program. Ran with DH, so my pace was a bit faster than normal!