Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: June 01 to 07 (Read 369 times)

Thanks for the well-wishes, JB. I hope so too. But I ran a modified W6D2 today because of it. My target race to end C25K is the Race for the Cure on the 14th, which I had originally hoped to be able to run in its entirety...and it was almost a reasonable goal. Now, if the hip is playing nicely, the goal is to run as much as possible--I know I can do at least 20 minutes because I've done that already. If it's being cranky (like today), the goal is to R10, W3 through the race. That seems to do ok hip-wise. But...I see the doctor on Monday, so all that may change.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

MoonStar - biking is excellent cross training for runners. And it is good you are listening to your body. And good for you for taking charge of yourself and moving. I'm sure Wingz and your dad are very proud of you.
      Absolutely. Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

kiwirunning

OMG!!!! I actually did it! I just finished W6 D3!!!! and actually felt like i could keep going for a bit at the end of it!!! You know what was really funny? As i started to hear Robert Ullrey's voice say - "ok day three you can start to cool down" or what ever it is he says.... all i could think of was - woohoo! wait till i tell the crew on the forum! Finally I'm learning how to slow down - if that makes sense? And it's letting me run further.... Sorry - sounding lame, but got the grins.... And my superfit colleague who power walks at my "running" speed keeps looking at me funny - as if to say - ok - get over it....
        kiwirunning

Did W6D2 today, but divided the last 10 min interval into 2 5's with a 3 minute walk break in between. Hip issue still going on, and was sore all day. I tweaked it getting down off of a city bus on Sat night, and am still feeling it today. Made an appt w/ my DO, so we'll see...
          Hey Polepole... you been able to see the doc yet? what's the word?
            Hey Polepole... you been able to see the doc yet? what's the word?
            Thanks for asking! I'm going on Monday, so I hope to know more then. I did run today, much like Monday. That's SO great that you made it through day 3! Keep up the great work--I'll catch up to you soon Wink

More turtle than hare...

Hi all. I've been lurking around a bit (stealing inspiration from all of you!) and decided it's time to join in. I ran for a couple years, got up to being able to do 8k (but it wasn't pretty.) I took a year or so off, but I'm back to it and starting from the ground up. My mini-goal is to run a 10k someday, but my main goal is just to not quit. 29 years old, married, no kids, and no more excuses. It's nice to meet you.
              obiebyke

Welcome, unlapsing! Is that your bunny? NICE work, kiwi. My legs still aren't 100%, so I'm going to do another slow 30 minutes instead of getting back on OHR. In unrelated news, last night I hit a ridge on a curb and bent my rim and got a flat. Cry And I'm just about to lose my 9 to 5 job to go back to school. Dang. Please cross your fingers that the suspension is okay... $$$$$

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice to see you, unlapsing. You did 8K before and you can work back up to it again. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yay, I finally figured out how to go to satellite on mapmyrun.com so I can actually see the bike path I run on and map it. My distances were pretty close to what I thought so it's all good. W5D2 done. Looking forward to my W5D3 on the weekend! 20 minute run? Bring it on! Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I am almost done with week 2! I repeated it just so I would feel more comfortable before I moved on. It took a little motivation from my husband to run today becuase it was 50 degrees and pouring rain. But I did it... and actually it was a lot of fun. I figure if I run in this I have no excuse not to run on any other day. Smile My calves are tight but I feel good. I'm surprised my knees haven't hurt more than they have. I used to have major issues with my knees when I was dancing so I'm glad I haven't had to worry about them. I am excited to start week three next week! I just hope it warms up some. Welcome unlapsing! I'm newer here too and everyone is really great and inspirational!
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good for you, mimi! Big grin Running in the rain really makes me feel like a runner. I think you (universal you) never regret going once you are out there, but you regret it if you don't get out there.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

running buddies

I just finished W8D3 today. I ran in new shoes on a paved trail with markers, and was exceptionally surprised that I ran 2.8 miles in 28 minutes! I didn't think I was running that fast. Although the guy at the running shoe store told me I would be faster on asphalt than on soft trails, which is what I usually run on . Welcome unlapsing - I like following everyone's progress and having somewhere to report on mine. Mimi73 - Good job getting yourself out in the rain! I don't mind yucky weather, because I know I'm unlikely to see anyone else when I'm out, and it makes me feel like a real athlete. The humidity I'm currently dealing with is challenging for me. I repeated week 5, and that was the best running decision I've made so far. I'd recommend taking it slowly to anyone, because slow progress is so much more rewarding than quick progress than ends in quitting! Someone early on told me to take "little steps", which has also been helpful for me in avoiding knee pain and feet pain, which plagued me in the past when I've tried to run before.
                          "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                            OHR W1D3 done and since I got so off schedule am just adding an extra day of W1 this week since I need my long runs later to be on the weekend. Welcome unlapsing!! obi -hows your bike? just a flat I hope!
                            Yelie
                            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Sounds like a good run. What kind of shoes did you get?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

obiebyke

Yelie, It's my car! Should be ready on Monday, $350 later. Sad Had a run yesterday. Still off OHR. I felt like I ground my left hip somehow. Ouch.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)