Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 6/15 (Read 237 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week was a great week - good running and I got to run my first night race (5k on the Main Street of China Grove).  Great event, and I met Richard there along with his wife.  Good people.

Out the door early this morning to get in my final LHR test run to measure the progress after 3 months of MAF/LHR training, and I'm thrilled that almost 1:30 has come off my pace since I started.  Quite an improvement over 3 months' time.

Now, it's back to more traditional training: run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

What is MAF/LHR?

My husband and I are signed up for the Summer Breeze 5k this weekend. I've come down with a cold so I'm going to take a few days off and hope it's gone by mid week. 

theyapper

On the road again...

What is MAF/LHR?

My husband and I are signed up for the Summer Breeze 5k this weekend. I've come down with a cold so I'm going to take a few days off and hope it's gone by mid week. 

Hey Ashley.

MAF/LHR is Low Heart Rate training.  It's a method quite a few people at Running Ahead have used at different times in their running.  I decided to try it out when my knee started bothering me at the end of last year.  It requires a lot of patience, but it can yield nice rewards.  There is a forum group here dedicated to it, and you can learn more there.  The link is here if you're interested.

Paul

I wish I could have joined ya'll.  That night run looks like fun.  I'm use to running at night after last winter so I should feel right at home.  I had another easy week at least mileage wise last week.  Since I didn't get in NY, and have no other races planned, I've really enjoyed running with friends at work and groups after work, running however far or fast I felt like.  I go from running easy most days to chasing a 19 min 5k guy on the YMCA track.  ha  That's an experience to say the least.    I'll try to pick it up this week maybe to 20 - 25 miles.  But I've said that for a month, so maybe I won't. 

Paul, that's great about your time.  Are you stopping that kind of training for good, or do you use it in cycles and will go back to it?

old-runner

We had fun hanging out with Paul at the China Grove 5k on Friday then ran on Saturday morning in Hickory. Then I saw Ashley at the park and talked some on Sunday during my long run that was supposed to be 12 miles but I ran out of gas at 10 miles. We're doubling up again this week with Miles of Mooresville on Friday night and Summer Breeze on Saturday morning. Looking forward to seeing Ashley and meeting her husband.

I met Lynwood a while back (at the Corporate Cup?) so now I know all three of you. Do we just have four people in here? Wish we could get more Charlotte area runners involved in this forum. Maybe if we build it they will come... eventually.

Nobody else going to try Miles of Mooresville? It looks like fun, with 3 different races to choose from: 1 mile, 2 miles, and 3 miles. You can do any or all of them but I haven't decided which I'll run yet... maybe just one or maybe all three.

I'm thinking about the Miles of Mooresville also.  Trying to work it out so I can attend.  I'll let you know if I decide to run.

Ok, cancel that Richard.  I'm in.  Making the 7pm start might be tough though. 

old-runner

Lynwood... You can probably register right up until race time in this one. The 1-mile is supposed to be at 7:00, the 2-miler at 7:20, and the 3-miler at 8:00 so you should have time.

Gonna be a hot one though! I wonder how many people are going to show up. According to the hour-by-hour on the weather.com site it's supposed to be 88 degrees at 7:00 and 86 at 8:00. Oy! I've never run at all in a temperature that hot, let alone a race, but I think I'll give it a shot... at least one race.

under a rock

Good luck in the heat tonight! I just can't bring myself to do that. The worst heat I've ever done is the Peachtree 10k on the 4th of July in Atlanta. It's usually 80 by start at 8am and of course humid. I always feel sorry for the people in the last group because they don't even get to start until after 9am and by then the temp has usually shot up quite a bit.

We'll see you in the morning at the Summer Breeze 5k!

old-runner

The heat wasn't so bad after all, but I was in relaxation mode and just ran the 1-mile race since I was running Saturday morning at the Summer Breeze. Lynwood was a wild man though... he ran all three races! I didn't realize it at the time but he was nipping at my heels the whole time in the 1-miler!

Ashley, we'll be looking for you and the fam at the Summer Breeze this morning!

theyapper

On the road again...

Wish I could have been a part of these races, but with family coming in town and me leaving tomorrow for a week, it just wasn't possible.  I did think about you all during my long run this morning and can't wait to hear how the races went.

I'll be gone next week, so feel free to start the next week's thread without me!  

Paul

under a rock

The race this morning was good but somewhat brutal. The heat and humidity made me re-think my up coming race plans. I met my goal and finished at 26:31. I felt pretty good until about 2.5 miles and just started lose some pace. I ran the second mile a hair too fast. I'm still getting back into shape so I'm trying to keep myself in check. I ran the first mile slower than the second and third mile so I'm happy. Next time I will start closer to the front because I lost about 15 seconds trying to get to the start through all the slower people then had to battle them for the first quarter mile to find some room to run.
                        old-runner

Ashley... you did great and it was good to meet your husband Brian. He did an amazing job with pushing the stroller for the first time, with no complaining even! BTW, I got 3 photos of you at the finish so if you get the urge you can use one for your profile photo here or Athlinks or whatever. I know what you mean about having to pass people. Due to my untimely start after the race had begun without me, I passed 167 people before the finish. It was kind of fun though really.

For everybody who remembers HMhopeful (Shashi), who has posted some on here in the past, I met him during the race. As I passed him I said, "Hi Shashi," then kind of explained I knew him from RunningAhead. After the race we talked for a few minutes and we're going to try to get together and run some... he lives less than a half mile from me.

Gotta git... I hear there's a 5k Candlelight Run in Columbia tonight and I'm heading that way in about 15 minutes!

under a rock

I saw the pictures on your blog. They aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I was sure the suffering would show up in the pictures more! I would love to have them to use for an avatar.

I planned to race the one mile race since there aren't a lot of those available.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the other two and decided to run easy the second race to stay loose, then run the third as a tempo type run.  I didn't have much left after the mile race chasing Richard.  My plan was to stay behind about 20 yards as long as I could figuring I might fade at the end.  Overall, the effort was the same per 1/4 the entire mile, only slightly slower for the last 1/4.  I was thrilled to be below 7 for the mile, as I've never run below 7 before.  6:59 was my goal.   I'm looking forward to the next actually, and will make more of an effort to race two of the events, then maybe racing three for the last one. 

Richard, I hope you got some decent pictures of yourself.  I'm terrible at photography. 

For everybody who remembers HMhopeful (Shashi), who has posted some on here in the past, I met him during the race. As I passed him I said, "Hi Shashi," then kind of explained I knew him from RunningAhead. After the race we talked for a few minutes and we're going to try to get together and run some... he lives less than a half mile from me.

Richard,  nice racing. 

From now on I am going to seek you out and try to keep you in sight as I try for that 23:00 by the end of this year.   

Let me know the next time you are out running at Jefferson Woods (I run there Tuesdays/Thursdays around 8:00 PM) or aywhere in the neighborhood at the time.