Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 8/30/2010 (Read 159 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Let's see...last week we had a 5K PR (Adrian), a 100th race (Richard), and I think I read something about snakes.  Lynwood also made a nice return with a strong week.

Mileage summary, complete with gold star for this week's winner:

NameDistance ▼Time
    CarolinaBlue  52.4 Mi 7:02:14
    Happyfeet 46.8 Mi 7:28:45
    CliveFenster 43.1 Mi 6:02:06
    Docster 34.4 Mi 4:59:07
    old-runner 34.3 Mi 5:17:58
    chuckplayer 33.3 Mi 4:52:27
    theyapper66  30.2 Mi 5:15:12
    runslikeagirl 29.5 Mi 5:38:51
    Lpadg 28.5 Mi 4:26:08
    cpaterun 15.7 Mi 2:25:09
    alholley 13.5 Mi 1:59:31

I stepped outside this morning and grinned.  Low 60s, and my pace for my easy 3 miler dropped quite a bit.  Amazing what low temps can do.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

Definitely a lovely  morning for a run. I even added an extra mile to my run.

That's probably the closest I'll come to the gold star, really thought I could go over the 50 mile mark this week, but a sleep less Saturday night most of which was spent in an ER (minor cut to my daughter), put an end to that.  

Nice race by Clive, even if he is disappointed, racing on no taper is not very much fun (log stalking) and all the others at the Greek fest. Probably a cut back week for me and will see if that gets me a PR at the Labor day 5k in Gastonia, only need 24:18.

Nice race by Clive, even if he is disappointed, racing on no taper is not very much fun (log stalking) ...

Yeah, well,my plan was to hit the 10-mile mark in 72 minutes, then spend whatever I had left over the final 5k.  After the 22:45 the previous Sunday as the back end of that TLT workout, I thought I could produce a 22-flat and maybe even break 1:34.  Didn't work out that way. Angry

Oh well.  Nice running by the Charlotte crowd this past weekend!  Good mileage tallies there, too.

I had a nice nostalgia run here at my parents' place.  Ran to the ol' high school, past the house of my senior-prom date, over part the course I had my best-ever 10k finish, ...  Tomorrow, I'm running the old 11-mile route the XC and track team used to do on Sunday mornings.  The hills here are BRUTAL; I do not remember them being that steep or that long when I was 25-30 years younger.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice race, Clive.  Sorry it wasn't what you'd hoped for, but you had a good plan and executed it pretty well.  Looks like that TLT may have taken a bit more out of you than you thought.  Still, your pace was pretty consistent throughout, and you really didn't fade that much at the end.  Your HR stayed pretty steady, too.  Not a lot of big HR spikes in there.

You'll hit that goal time in the fall weather for sure.

Paul

Clive, nice race.  A PR is always good (you don't want to be a Rick Carey).  The weather broke for you in a positive way!  Did you monitor your weight as I looked at your log and you took two days off over the prior three days (your eating away, and one ends up putting on 1-3 lbs on a day off depending on diet --> I never thought about this as I always take a day off prior to a race and realized I was about 2.5 lbs heavier vs. a training day --> over a 1/2 marathon isn't each extra lb about one sec p mile...it adds up).  The other thing is that the time you spent in SC in the extreme humid conditions could have taken a much bigger toll on you.  The one day you talked about how hot it was down there I looked and the heat index was like 105 that day.  Over five days, you may have been near heat exhaustion each day you trained and it takes a lot longer to recover from that (which could have impacted the last part of your race).  You'll no doubt be much stronger in the fall (unless you plan to vacation in Death Valley the week before your marathon...your not right?)

Paul, thanx for the Gold Star (although I never attended Sunday School after kindergarten?).

Rob

Thanks Paul.  It's kind of funny, but for some reason I thought I had hit 30 for the week until I saw the chart.  You would think that considering I'm in banking I could add. Makes ya'll feel safe with your money I'll bet.  But, I do loans, so the only thing I have to do right now is say no.

Man, ya'll run a lot....

theyapper

On the road again...

Up early this morning for 6 easy miles.  My boys have their first XC meet today.  Can't wait!

Paul

Paul and Rob, thanks for the feedback and comments.  My half-mile splits at just after 10mi and 11mi are oddly slower because they include ~20sec walking "breaks" while I made sure I downed some water/Gatorade.  The 10mi break: I saw the water station coming up at ~9.5mi, so I pulled out my gel and tried to take it.  GU Vanilla, and it was thick and cloying -- couldn't do more than half of it.  Then I hit the water station and the kids manning it were all calling, "Gatorade!  Gatorade!"  Well, I didn't want Gatorade, so I passed them and looked at the woman a little farther down.  Turns out she wasn't handing anything out.  So I ran with that gel choking me for a half-mile, and I just HAD to stop and drink two cups when I found water.

Rob, yeah, I think the TLT, the beach heat, the lack of taper, and the warm 10-miler 18 hours earlier probably conspired against a fast time.  Oh well, there's always Twin Cities. Wink

Paul, I hope your boys had a good first meet!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Anyone planning on participating in any race this holiday weekend?

Rob

Injuried list temporary. No running for me until after going back to the doctor tomorrow. If everything turns out OK.

Had horrible pain in my lower right back Sunday night. They felt very bad. Pain that stopped my in my tracks. Then experienced the same thing Monday moring at work. Went to the doctor that day. Possibly kidney stones. On major pain killers right now. Hopefully they will pass without any treatment if that is was is causing the pain. Been out of work since.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Adrian "wishing I was running" Holley

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry to hear about the pain, Adrian.  Hope you recover soon.

My boys did great at their first meet.  They ran 24:41 and 28:23, and have both knocked off over 10 minutes since they started running less than a month ago.  

Here they were post-race, all sweaty and smiling!

XC pic

Paul

Clive, nice PR.  I'll bet you'll get faster as the year progresses, but that was solid.

CB, no races for me.  I'm waiting to see ya'll post some more good times though.

Nice pictures Paul.  That's great.  Looks like you have some competition!  Now I feel guilty for not taking more pictures though.

Adrian, get your self well.  We gotta run next week. 

Adrian, I have had kidney stones (two passed, two left in me).  First time (when I didn't know) 4 yrs ago, initially got nauseous, an hour later had intensive pain in kidneys that "radiated" every 1/2 sec (so bad, I could not "think"), sweated thru my clothes, had someone drive me to the hospital, put on morphine and into Cat Scan -- but by then (about 2 hrs), it passed.  The second time, I was running a set of hard 800m's on the track last year, finished, same symptoms but less pain, drank as much water as I could to "flush", curled into a fetal position, about 8 hours later, I was the proud father to a stone (seeing it in the toilet bowl is an interesting experience).

Treatment is "watchful waiting" -- up to 72 hours and they usually instruct you to drink alot of water to flush.  If that doesn't work, then either the "shock machine" (a device that breaks the stone into small grains -- painless), surgery (thru your back), or procedure via catheter (you can guess where).  Drink a ton of water (and good luck).

Rob

Oh, this week (month) will be a "down week (month)".  I went down to Mathews to preview the course for a race on Monday and incorporate that into a long run.  Only 200 yards in, I rolled my right foot (it was 'crying pain") on uneven pavement.  The pain went away after about 30 seconds.  So, like many of us, I kept going.  My pace was restrained (some parts where on a "rough" trail).  The next 3 miles I was either running straight or turning left (no pain).  I got to a point where I had to turn to the right (and now I felt pain).  Kept going (foot felt like a mild strain). Ran 8:50 pace and finished off last 3/4 mile at 7:30 pace.  After only five minutes after I'm done, it starts to (really) hurt.  I get home, ice it, and realize I can't put any weight on it.  I grab a wobbly Swiffer mop to use as a crutch to get me back to my car & to the hospital - fractured foot (an "avulsion" where the top of a bone in the top of my foot where foot and leg join is broke off).  In a splint/cast & crutches, out anywhere from 3-6 weeks (I was having great workouts, progressing, capped things off on Monday doing 3 x 2 miles at 6:48 pace (10k pace)).  And now 10 big steps backward!!

Rob