jdbrown 32.4 mi 4:34:05
    cpaterun 31 mi 4:27:01
    SForrester 28.1 mi 3:36:29
    theyapper66  25.5 mi 4:42:07
    Lpadg 22.4 mi 0:00
    CliveF 17.3 mi 2:36:55
    alholley 14.3 mi 2:05:45
    rossruns 4 mi 36:17

So far this week has been great - cooler temps are a nice break, aren't they?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

The weather's great! I hope global warming kicks in before october and it stays like this year 'round!

Paul... congrats on getting the gold star this week with 25.5 miles! 

Lynwood sure seems fast,  Can be here one sec and 22 miles down the road at the same time, but ChakaKahn still has him beat Big grin

Heh.  Yeah, I'm taking the lazy way to get on the board.  That's the problem of not having a GPS any more. 

Paul,

I think you also need to award a Swiss-flag like red cross ribbon weekly (or in special situations) given our group's injuries.

On Sunday I had a doozy. Left for SoCal Sat evening. Temps are in the low 70's (there is a marine layer so its cloudy and humidity is high for high -- in the 60's). Went to do my long run (the wk prior in Charlotte I only made 9 miles stopping three times in the heat and slogged the last mile). Here, I felt great running along a walkway next to the beach. I darted into a parking lot (walkway was crowded up ahead), two miles into the run, as I was darting back onto the walkway, did not see a parking curb (the cement block that pull your cars tires up to when you park) that was for whatever reason directly in the path of where you run back up into the walkway. I hear a loud pop (my right toe kicking the cement slab), the next thing I feel is my nose and face landing into the handicap matt on the walkway first and then my hands hit second, and my shoulder and knees sliding along the cement. I'm sprawled out, roll over, and like any diligent runner, before I feel to see what I injured, I stop my Garmin (strange how that was my first thought I was sprawled out and dazed on the ground). My nose and palms are really hurting, I feel my nose and have blood all over my hands, after about 30 seconds I'm still dazed but get up. The handicap matts in San Diego are different vs. in Charlotte (in Charlotte they are a black/smooth matt). Here, they are yellow or blue and have about 288 raised 1/8" by 1/8" hard rubber pegs per sq foot. There is more blood as I feel my face. I'm wandering around, there is van parked nearby, I see a hand sticking out of the van, the hand has napkins, I hear a voice that says "here, take these" (god only knows what this person was doing in the van alone w/napkins handy!). I'm moping up blood. I believe my nose is broken and my face feels like I was punched in the mouth. I look in the van's dark windows and now can see that my nose is completely gashed, the blood is not coming fr the inside but fr the gashes on the outside (fr landing on and sliding along on the hard pegs). My palms are killing me (feels like both hands could be broken and my right hand looks like I pressed down on a bed of nails). After I go thru the napkins, the hand is out of the van again w/paper towels. I mop up. At this point I realize that my toe hurts but is not broken, I'm 2 miles out, gather myself, and begin to run back -- but I actually feel good and light on my feet! So like any of us I continue another 8 miles to complete my 10 mile long run, and run it progressively pushing the last four miles.

During this run, almost everyone I pass along the way are staring at me as I run by. When I get back, I look in the mirror and the horror sets in -- it looks like someone hit me in my nose w/a bat (w/dried blood splattered all over). I have a baseball sized gash on my shoulder exposing raw skin, and a slightly smaller gash on my left knee. What a fun way to start a vacation (and I have to cover/bandage all of these wounds and other burn marks I found during the day as this is all raw skin that could result in 2nd or 3rd degree burns if exposed to sun -- again, what a fun way to spend one's time in sunny California!).

Rob

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul... congrats on getting the gold star this week with 25.5 miles! 

Funny.  Apparently the only way I'll get it is if I forget to cut and paste it from my name to the name at the top (which was amlinz - no surprise there!!).

Rob - Well, that's a 10 miler you won't soon forget!  What a story.  Glad you're ok, and I'm super impressed that you were aware enough to stop the Garmin.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Wow Rob... that's quite the spill! I keep thinking it's going to happen to me and it probably will eventually but hasn't so far. Hard to believe you stopped your watch. 

under a rock

That is one impressive spill!Black eye Whenever I fall while running the first thing I do is stop my Garmin. Without even thinking I just do it. Guess us runners have our priorities a bit skewed.

So like any of us I continue another 8 miles to complete my 10 mile long run, and run it progressively pushing the last four miles.

The splits don't look that progressive to me.

Big grin

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive/Cliff - RA & Garmin can't factor in for wind conditions...8-10mph ocean breeze in my face over last 5 miles (at my back for first five miles).

Anyone race over the weekend?

Rob

Just giving you a hard time. Wink

We need a column for cycling miles!  But (knock on wood) I'm back on track to being a runner again.  17mi this week and last, no more Gallowalking, and none of the recidivist issues I had last time I tried to get back to normal running.  Fingers crossed, though ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

...Anyone race over the weekend?

I raced over the weekend... Soldiers Reunion 5k in Newton. It's one of my favorite 5k's. It's the third time in three years I've run it and I've been faster ever year...

2009 -  22:10

2010 -  21:48

2011 -  20:43

I'm looking to knock it out of the park next year with a sub-20 at the age of 60... at least that's the plan.

Richard,

congrats on the improvement (and performance). What are you down to in terms of weight? 

Rob

Glad ya'll are healing well. 

Congrats Richards,  You've inspired me to lose a few pounds myself.  I think I've lost a few already the last couple of weeks. It's not too hard considering I was on the Micheal Phelps type diet prior.

I hope to see Adrian and Rob on the course this week.

old-runner

I'm somewhere in the range of 138-140 pounds and that's most likely where I'll stay unless I get on the Michael Phelps diet too. After I lost 10 pounds in four weeks I went another four weeks and only lost 1 or 2 pounds so I figured my body was trying to tell me something. I was hoping I could get down to the 125-130 range but I don't think that's going to happen. If I can stay right around 140 it'll be pretty good though. I did my best running in the fall of 2009 when I weighed 143 and I feel like I'll do better this fall, but it's all just conjecture until I run the races. I'd like to set some PRs though... that would be nice.