Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 10/25/2010 (Read 251 times)

old-runner

Rob... I was just kidding in my comments although since I've never played water polo it really does look like a volleyball to me. At least I didn't call it a football -- that's the pointy one right?

I'll second your motion that everybody should consider the Santa Scramble. I've run it for the past two years and both times got a longstanding PR including my only sub-20 5k, and very possibly the only one I'll ever have since I doubt I can get under 20 minutes this year, even downhill in front of 20,000 witnesses.

To be honest, that crowd of 20,000 includes about 19,900 people who are waiting for the parade to start and would rather see a fake Santa coming by on a float than a guy running fast, so it's not the most enthusiastic crowd support I've ever seen, but indifferent crowd support is better than none at all, and I think most of us run a little faster when people are watching.

theyapper

On the road again...

I had the Runway on the radar, but at the last minute my wife went to Peru to help a missionary friend and so I'll be keeping the home fires burning this weekend.  Santa Scramble looks tempting, but I'm already signed up to do the 2nd Thunder Road preview run that morning.  Of course, a PR is always nice. i'm conflicted.  Confused

MTA: 5.5 recovery miles in the sauna that has become our late October.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Just in case anyone is interested, the pictures for the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon are up. I have to say that I look pretty darn good in mine, but I could be a little biased. 

I had planned on running the the Runway 5k also, but have kid activities.  I will do the Santa Scramble though.  That's set.

Are we there yet?

Hey Mike... Yep, 11 days. Where are you starting at NYC? Here's my info...

Bib: 6642

Green Wave #1

Corral #6

Start Time 9:40

I'll be taking the Staten Island Ferry over at 5:40 a.m.

Good stuff.. Richard.. Here is mine.. I will be taking the buses as I am staying in Time Square..

Bib: 1786

Blue Wave #1

Corral #1

Start Time: 9:40

Dunno, think I am just gonna do a steady long run with a 3:10 goal so as not to hurt myself, or reinjure i should say, then go for a PR on 2/13 @ the Birmingham, AL Merecedes Marathon sub 2:50, I hope. Mark Hadley is going to coach me for that upcoming block.

I wish you the best my friend and hope to meet you soon!! See you on the bridge, haha.

old-runner

Mike... I guess I probably won't see you up there... I hear it's a little crowded. Good luck... I know you'll do well. I hope to be right there about an hour behind you! I thought about trying to run it in 2:50 or so but decided I should probably do a little sightseeing along the way so I'll probably finish in 5 or 6 hours, if at all. Not feeling too good about my training over the last several months but I can probably live through one more 10- or 15-mile death march after I run out of gas. I'm definitely scaling back to nothing longer than a half marathon in the future.

Birmingham should be nice. I ran the Vulcan Run 10k there last year and it was great. I'd go back this year but it's the same weekend as the NYC Marathon. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Mike... I guess I probably won't see you up there... I hear it's a little crowded. Good luck... I know you'll do well. I hope to be right there about an hour behind you! I thought about trying to run it in 2:50 or so but decided I should probably do a little sightseeing along the way so I'll probably finish in 5 or 6 hours, if at all. 

That's Richard-speak for "I'll cross the line in 3:40 with a BQ."  Wink

Paul

old-runner

That's Richard-speak for "I'll cross the line in 3:40 with a BQ."  Wink

Haha... Don't I wish! Nope, I'm definitely not feeling it on this one, and now I seem to be coming down with my first cold in over a year, so depending on how that pans out I might not run at all. I'll just wait and see. I'm making the trip for sure since I've already paid for everything but I might just end up visiting with my daughter and her family (that's where I'm staying). They just LOVE my constant nose-blowing when I have a cold. Come to think of it, they might force me out of the house on Sunday morning and make me run it just to get rid of me for half a day!

Are we there yet?

Richard,

I peeked at your log. Trust in your training and the long runs you have done.

The energy of NYC will surely not let you down.

You have done a lot of races but this will certainly be one for the record books.

Take care and good luck!

Mike Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

I agree that Richard will do just fine.  Ya'll are both gonna have great races.

Went out for a pace run and surprised myself!  Did a mile warmup and then 6 miles at an 8:44 avg pace.  Don't know when that kind of speed felt so good over a run.  The "trials of miles and miles of trials" seem to be paying off.  Tomorrow's run will put me over 200 for the month.  I've never had so many miles before.

Paul

Are we there yet?

Tomorrow's run will put me over 200 for the month.  I've never had so many miles before.

Congrats on the remarkable "Mile"stone.. well played!

theyapper

On the road again...

Can't wait to hear the official Runway results from those who ran it.  I already know one time, but I'll wait and see if the person who posted it wants to share it here first.

Did my 12 mile run this morning.  Finished Oct with 200.2 miles.

Paul

Dadgum, Paul.  That's some good running.  What race are you training for again?

old-runner

Congratulations on the 200+ mile month Paul! 

The Runway 5k was fun and I met Rob after the race. We both got 2nd place in our respective age groups (50-54 for Rob and 55-59 for me). My time was 21:18 and Rob was about a minute ahead of me but I don't remember exactly what his time was.

Way too much traffic for that race this year. I heard from somebody on Facebook who said the traffic was so bad that by the time they got to the parking lot the first of the finishers were coming in, and the race was delayed by 30 minutes to get more people in there. It took us about 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot and back to the main road after the awards. I heard somebody say there were 3,300 runners. Two years ago there were maybe 500. 

Met Richard and his wife Linda at the race.  Went a 20:29 for 43rd overall and 2nd in Age Group.  Disappointed in time (but not results) so I don't want to be a Rick Carey.  Ran a 20:16 in a controlled training run last Sat (where I purposely negative split it -- 6:35, 6:31, 6:27).  Got home and looked at my results...negative split this (6:44, 6:39, 6:29) and it makes sense since there was only one person who went past me after the 1/2 way pt (the guy fr Germany in the Superman Santa outfit...hard to miss him!).  Legs may not have been "race ready", perhaps the cold, the 20 min delay in the start, or the consistent weeks of 50+ miles/wk (Paul, its totally your fault, you've created this "monster" where all of our life's dreams and aspirations are now boiled down to trying to attain that Gold Star each week...j/k, and thanx for doing that btw)...so I'll make some adjustments.  So I'm about 1/4 mile away fr the finish, and at this point my stomach does not feel great, I think about what I had for breakfast 2 hours prior (was it that xtra 1/4 portion of cereal), but then I get this clear vision in my mind of a large bowl of "cranberries and granola" that Clive/Cliff consumed prior to his race last year...I start to laugh (my stomach still did not feel great)!

Rob