Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/10 (Read 242 times)

Bugs

Inertia, That is funny. You want a #1 bib, I will mail one to you? That or some local race sign up with fake last name that starts with A...often they give them out alphabetically. I bailed on my run tonight. De-stressing a stressful day over a beer. I weighed in before. Big grin

Bugs

Dave

I bailed on my run tonight. De-stressing a stressful day over a beer. I weighed in before. Big grin
      How wonderfully un-OCD of you, Bugs. I'm proud of you Big grin Nice run, MrI. Starting to get excited for Brian's marathon this weekend. Another recovery day for me. Less grumpy. The promotion I've been waiting for since last fall finally came through. Good news and a nice raise right before Christmas.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Brian Do you have tracking informration for us??
        I don't think it's that cool a marathon. I've searched the website and can't find anything about it, guessing that's something they would make rather public. Here's the link in case someone else sees something I don't: http://www.route66marathon.com/ I'll post my bib number (probably not #1 Big grin ) tomorrow after the expo.

Oh Mighty Wing

Big grin Sorry that was head banging for me.
          hahhahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhaha OMG come on I am WAY to immature to have a long and hard comment followed up with a head comment!!!
          Mr. I nice run!! Bugs - I second Dave on the niceness of your new un-OCD leaf - no matter how temporary. Way to take a beer break!! Sometimes it's necessary. And have you looked at your graph lately!! It looks AWESOME!! Dave - how you feelin dude? Husker - I'm getting excited!! How's your dad feeling?? Kimmie, Cash, Erika - HI PEOPLE!!! Run48 - Welcome to the group!!!! MTA: saw I'm supposed to be on my best behavior so I crossed it out - that's sort of like deleting it right??

Bugs

Sorry Shan, I wanted to play too! Dave, Congrats. That's awesome. What the do you do in non-miltary terms again? Brian, Big grin We ARE NOT GIVING you the fair attention you deserve. Very very cool that you are running with your Dad. To be honest I am very jealous but happy for you. Enjoy the moment. I think you are VERY ready for this marathon and that you're going to have a tough time running slow (Dad's pace) at the end, but just enjoy all the crowds and excitement. Plenty of other marathons were you'll feel like death is welcome. Wink Eat some extra honey today. I'm GOING TO run OUTSIDE today!! It's been almost a week, between rain, sickness very screwed up week. No beer for me tonight. My running summary has a solid streak!!!

Bugs

Thanks for the kind words. Both dad and I are VERY ready. I'm excited for him because I think I've talked him into a pace just a bit below his potential, hoping to get him to the finish line feeling decent. Bugs, you must be reading a lot of Nobby lately, suggesting the honey. The pace will be kinda rough, but I've done most of my runs at that pace the last couple of weeks, just to get used to it. After the 15k it was hard to slow the runs back down for a while. Anyone ever run a marathon about 2 minutes/mile slower than they were capable of? Wondering how the recovery will be. Might this make it even easier to do some shorter races quicker and take advantage of the miles?

Dave

Anyone ever run a marathon about 2 minutes/mile slower than they were capable of? Wondering how the recovery will be. Might this make it even easier to do some shorter races quicker and take advantage of the miles?
                Not 2 minutes slower but my first marathon was probably 45 seconds slower than I could've gone. If you treat it like a training run (but with good support), I think you'll be fine. There will still be some recovery time but not as much. Downside will be that you'll be out there longer and it will be a lot of time on your feet. I think you're smart for practicing the slower pace. Works slightly different muscles (more hips, I think). Bugs, I'm a program manager. Almost exactly like the civilian equivalent except I work on military stuff. The way these promotions work is that you get picked for the higher rank and get a sequence number and then wait until your number comes up to pin it on and get paid. Then you go do a job at that level. My number finally came up. At my level, they wait for people to retire before they can promote you. No job change until next summer. Nice streak, Shan. 40 days? And I'm feeling better but may give it a day or two more.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Brian - I have no opinions but I can't WAIT to hear how it goes!!! Thanks guys! I didn't even realize my streak was that long!
                  Kimmie

Hey Brian, I run at a slower pace with my clients sometimes... not a marathon.... usually just 3 miles or so... It's tough to do but I'm sure you can do it. the biggest thing for me is to keep my steps small and just think relaxed... What's your goal pace for your Dad? And nice running everyone.... I ran yesterday in the rain... I am not a wimp. But only 4.5 miles. I haven't decided if today is going to be rest day or not. Eventually I want to get to where I'm running every day but that will entail really running easy on my easy days. I get too bored with the slower pace. Like yesterday for example, I was supposed to go easy but I wanted out of the rain, so I turned into a fartlek/tempo/hills type of workout. Raining again today--- hate it... Smile But it is my good friends' 40th birthday and we're going to have a celebratory lunch here pretty soon, so if I miss my run it will be for a good reason.
                      I've talked him into going out at 10:45 pace. I honestly think he could handle 10:30 or maybe even 10:20, but the end is pretty hilly, and there are no hills where he runs (western Nebraska). So, I want to make sure there's some left in the tank when we get to that point, about mile 22. If he feels good when we get there, we'll see.
                      evanflein

I get a kick out of it whenever Bugs calls Brian "Brain." Heheh... Hope you have a good race with your dad, and good luck with the running slower thing. I don't think I could do it. And yes, I think you'll feel it in your hips. At least I do (in my hips, not yours...). While I think I could benefit from slower running sometimes, I find it too hard to do and blow it off. Back home after a week of meetings in Seattle. Well, really just Tues/Wed/Thurs a.m., then home last night. Worked out every day in the fitness room of the hotel, cardio and strength/weights stuff. Feel pretty good about it... lots of walking which my foot didn't really enjoy. It's better, but not BETTER. Coming up on 2 weeks of no-running and not sure that it's making a huge difference, but I did commit to giving it a try. Will head to the gym for some pool running tonight; haven't done that since last weekend. Shan, your log is impressive. Mine is a big blank sheet after NYC. (and a little bit before) But my calendar view is full of all the cross training I've been doing in a desperate attempt at holding onto whatever fitness/endurance I have left...

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - thanks! I figured I'd borrow your determination while you were away and cross training! There is this guy on here Casa who ran 8 marathons this year - most of which were done on stress fractured legs. His hip hurts - he promised himself to only strength train and swim (even elipticalling/biking hurt the hip) till Jan. 1 and then it's on for Boston Prep. He hates it and has to avoid this place. I tell you this because you are in good company and rest is important - even if it doesn't apprear to be helping you have to give it a fair chance. MTA: 3 miles and my legs are tired!

Bugs

I get a kick out of it whenever Bugs calls Brian "Brain."
                            I know I am terrible at typos. You gotta remember my day job I type like this: for (int i=8; i<quitingtime && istillhaveajob; i++) { docompile(); checkrunningahead(); if (not bossisnotwatching and not somebodyannoyingme) { doquickrapost(); } } ..so english comes difficult to me. :) &&="" istillhaveajob;="" i++)="" {="" docompile();="" checkrunningahead();="" if="" (not="" bossisnotwatching="" and="" not="" somebodyannoyingme)="" {="" doquickrapost();="" }="" }="" ..so="" english="" comes="" difficult="" to="" me.="" :)=""></quitingtime && istillhaveajob; i++) { docompile(); checkrunningahead(); if (not bossisnotwatching and not somebodyannoyingme) { doquickrapost(); } } ..so english comes difficult to me. :) >

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

so what you are saying is that you have a big brain but sometimes it has moments!

Bugs

so what you are saying is that you have a big brain but sometimes it has moments!
                                I'm saying my brain is like my legs - overtrained. Big grin

Bugs