Drinkers with a Running Problem

Strong beers, barley wines, heavies, and the like (Read 470 times)

How's the Rogue Mocha Porter? I like their Dead Guy Ale, but haven't had anything else from them.
    Same question from me, too. And, has anyone tried Anchor Porter? It got a really good review on beeradvocate.com. I've had a few different Anchor offerings (including their 2007 holiday ale - tasty), but I haven't had the porter. If I get good feedback here, I'll throw that in with my other Anchor experiences and go in for a case.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Head Procrastinator

I like the Mocha Porter alot. It doesn't get an A at BA but B is acceptable. What I like about Total Wine( besides the HUGE selection of wine and tastings Fri, Sat and Sun ) if there is a BA rating it's on the description. They had another magazine's rating on some of them too. If you try the Anchor Porter let us know how it is.
      ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

Queen of 3rd Place

Anchor porter is quite tasty - I havn't had it in years, but my recollection is that it's a quintessential porter. I'm jealous, however, because I've never been able to make a decent porter - stout is so much easier. Arla

Ex runner

I've seen a few Beer Advocate references in this thread. How many of us are also on the BA site?

...---...

Just recently had the Sierra Nevada ESB (Early Spring Beer). Everything these guys are doing right now is superb. Also just had, for the first time, Harpoon's Hibernian Irish Style Red Ale- delicious. Maybe even the best red ales I've had from a bottle.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Anchor porter is quite tasty - I havn't had it in years, but my recollection is that it's a quintessential porter.
              I'll second that. I love all the Anchor beers that I've had, but that might be my favorite.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I've seen a few Beer Advocate references in this thread. How many of us are also on the BA site? I am, but I don't really post - mostly lurking in the background. It's humbling how much I don't know about beer, so I use the site for information and education... a lot of education. It's s great site. I also go to realbeer.com every now and again. Anchor porter is quite tasty - I havn't had it in years, but my recollection is that it's a quintessential porter I would've figured - BA rated it very high on it's Top Ten porter list. I'm gonna have to pick up a case to enjoy it myself.

Head Procrastinator

I lurk at BA but that's it.
                  ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm always sad when I see a beer I like completely panned at BA. Sometimes I wonder if people give beers poor ratings just to be contrary. Beer snobs... Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, sometimes I tend to whisper a "WTF" to myself when I see a beer that I really enjoy get trashed by the "experts." Try repeating "To each his own" to yourself a few times. If that doesn't work, change over to "Screw them." I love the reviewers who astound us all with their incredibly discriminatory palates, waxing poetic on the "hint of lower Brazilian vanilla bean" that they noticed, or the "remnants of Kentucky Bluegrass... 2002, I believe... that creates the earthy intensity." Confused I either like it, or I don't.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I either like it, or I don't.
                        Yep. It's pretty much a pass/fail thing for me.

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

I love the reviewers who astound us all with their incredibly discriminatory palates, waxing poetic on the "hint of lower Brazilian vanilla bean" that they noticed, or the "remnants of Kentucky Bluegrass... 2002, I believe... that creates the earthy intensity." Confused I either like it, or I don't.
                          I'm with you. I enjoy beer, wine, and cigars. "Expert" reviews for all of these pleasures in life seem to include the language you described. I'm not sure I'd want to have that much detail available to me, as it seems it would prevent me from sitting down and enjoying what I'm here to enjoy.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It makes getting drunk harder, too. Eventually I get a buzz on and everything tastes good. I can remember drinking Old Mil in college and by the 3rd big plastic cup it tasted awesome! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

It makes getting drunk harder, too. Eventually I get a buzz on and everything tastes good. I can remember drinking Old Mil in college and by the 3rd big plastic cup it tasted awesome! Big grin
                              I'm sure I'll get kicked out of the group for admitting this: we I buy Old Milwaukee every couple of months when money gets tight. Same taste (to me) as the comparable choices such as Miller, Coors, BL, etc., at a fraction of the cost. It's been nice knowing you all! Evil grin

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's why I almost never drink more than 2~3 good beers at a time. Or why the 2nd bottle of wine is always a cheap one. No sense wasting it when you can't appreciate it. BTW zoom, they would have to be some pretty goddamned big plastic cups to make Old Mil taste awesome by only the third cup! Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.