Toronto and Beyond

just a quick update (Read 205 times)

redleaf

Doing okay with exercising other than running and have started to lose a bit of weight -- should be fun as I've built into my mindset the few holiday festivities that I'm involved in. It's always fun when you talk to someone with a specialty how they see the problem from their specialization. Case in point I finally got around to making an appointment with a chiropodist today. Lovely guy, nice and friendly and convinced that all I really need are orthotics. So we're ordering some (mostly covered by insurance which is nice but may be out about $300 on my own) one pair for running and one pair for work shoes. I get them next Wednesday, which is the day after my follow up with the sports doctor. Wish me luck.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Good luck! Hope the orthotics work well for you. I have been sidelined by a cold/sore throat myself, but should be back on the roads tomorrow night, tonight is the company Christmas party in Richmond Hill. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I know I'm late to the party, ( and the group ), but I do hope things work out for you. I'm not privy to what exactly the issue is but injuries suck no matter what. Just take it slow when you get back going again and hang in there.
        And who am I anyway?
        Just another fat jogger, evidently.
        redleaf

Thanks guys. I hope to go outside in the new winter tights my DH bought me a while back next Thursday. Re-starting the (*%&(* learn to run again! Down 5 pounds 42 more to go Blush

HF #4362

Good news. Don't worry, you'll pick up the running even faster now. Careful to go slow though. (I learned the hard way).

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

redleaf

Saw the sports doc today. X-ray showed very slight wearing etc. which you would expect to see in anyone over 28 he says. I wonder why 28? So figure, overweight, 35 and 5 or 6 years of playing in net and that ain't so bad. I get the orthotics tomorrow and will re-do the learn to run (from the start!) on Thursday. Everyone says to ease into using the orthotics but how? I'll ask the chiropodist tomorrow but wanted your two cents worth as well... the first two weeks of the LTR are: Walk 2 Run 1 x 12 Walk 2 Run 1 x 9 Walk 2 Run 1 x 11 Walk 2 Run 2 x 11 Walk 2 Run 1 x 10 Walk 2 Run 2 x 10 so is 36 minutes too much to wear the orthotics for the first day? Oh plus 5 - 10 minutes on each side for warming up. That seems like a lot...

HF #4362

I wouldn't think an hour is too much time, but I'm just guessing. The people selling the "superfeet" inserts will tell you to wear them for 3 or 4 hours a day for the first couple of days. I was suppose to get Orthotics when I got injured 5 years ago. Stubborn me never got them, (like the guy who refuses to use a cane) and I'm 100% today. Mind you it took me almost 4 years to cure the foot problem, my way. Orthotics may have fixed it in mere weeks. However I'm glad I don't wear them. Did you swim much, during your down time?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

redleaf

hmm swimming? Not nearly as often as I would have liked! To help motivate me I asked for a pass for the pool so I don't have the "but I can't find change" excuse!

HF #4362

I got orthotics in 2007 and started running in them right away. I walked to work (about 4km) a couple of times but ran with them on from the start. I felt the odd little twinge which was just my joints getting used to the new pressures but from then on...no problems. Now I was only running at the most 10 miles a week back then.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

redleaf

rassenfraken medical people... two weeks! And he's a runner so he feels bad but the chiropodist says 2 weeks till I can run with the orthotics. 1 hour today, add an hour each day for 2 weeks then I can start again. If there's no problems between now and December 28 I can "run" the resolution run. Of course by then it will have been almost exactly 2 months since I've run at all ... so how much running I'd be doing is debatable. Anyone want to walk it with me? %(*T)_!@!

HF #4362

For $50 an hr...............plus expenses, I'd think about it.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Go Pre!

For $50 an hr...............plus expenses, I'd think about it.
                          nice
                          redleaf

nice
                            You'd have thought I'd at least get a family discount from him, no?

HF #4362

redleaf

well I did it and only 4 minutes slower than I ran the 5k in the summer. And considering I have done no running at all for almost 2 full months, I'm pretty pleased with it. Happy New Year all...

HF #4362

Well done, Happy new Year. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.