Toronto and Beyond

Where do you buy your shoes? (Read 204 times)

Hey everyone. I am fairly new to the GTA and somewhat lacking in people skills so I do not get much chance to mix with the local running community. I travel back and forth to the U.S. quite frequently and have noticed a tremendous difference in shoe prices between the U.S. and Toronto. Seriously. Huge difference. There was always some difference but it wasn't enough that I minded paying an extra ten bucks or so and I usually purchased all of my shoes up here. The last six months however.... wow. Here's what I mean. I run Brooks Glycerines and the 6's retail for 149.99 up here. At today's Canadian dollar that converts to 126.99US. The conversion has varied between 123.99US and 129.99US. I don't know the city well enough to dig up bargains everywhere. I mainly just shop the Running Room or Sporting Life and that price is consistent with both stores. I was in Tampa recently and saw the same shoes ( with the yellow and black color scheme... why is only the green available in Toronto?) at Dick's for 99.95US. I also saw them in Baltimore for 95.95US. With tax that puts them at around 100.00US, or 118.95CAN. If you figure that Toronto price after the higher Canadian taxes ( which I don't mind paying... you get your money's worth for your taxes in Canada ) I would actually be paying an extra $60 or $70 for a pair of shoes. That's nearly 50%!!! I get that most things are a bit more expensive here, but it's usually 5% to 10%, not 50%. Well, except for chicken. You can buy a whole chicken in the U.S. for 2.00 and here they are 8.00. What's up with that? Sorry, got sidetracked. Long story short I am thinking that I must be missing something. Is everyone really paying that much extra for shoes or is there some shop here that I haven't heard about?
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Go Pre!

Where do I buy mine? In the states when I am there At the Running Rom when I am instructing a clinic ((40% discount)) At Running Room when a model I like changes and the old one is discounted. --- and by the way....Welcome to the GTA
        Running Room- I value the advice I get, and I wait until there is a coupon offer or a sale.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ok, so I just ordered them online from the place in Baltimore. With shipping it came to $107.90US. I can live with that. Now.... where do you get your chicken????
          And who am I anyway?

Go Pre!

Ok, so I just ordered them online from the place in Baltimore. With shipping it came to $107.90US. I can live with that. Now.... where do you get your chicken????
            Mexico
              Mexico
              Aren't chickens still considered currency in Mexico?
              And who am I anyway?
                Please let me know how much they end up costing you after you actually receive them Wink I work for Canada Post and many times I deliver stuff, people have ordered from the States. The song is always the same; I've already prepaid for this why am I being billed again? My standard reply is "Don't shoot the messenger" but many addon costs I have seen are GST, PST, Duty, Canada Post charge ($5), for collecting any of the aforementioned costs. I buy my shoes at National sports most of the time. You do have to watch for sales though, if you are going to use 5 or 6 pairs of shoes per year you will always buy the shoe when it goes on sale whether you need them or not. Thankfully shoes can be found for anywhere from $50 to $120 off the regular retail price, several times during the year at one store or another. Welcome to T-O, though and last winter did suck. Most winters aren't near that bad for snowfall. On the bad side though, it wasn't really that cold last winter.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Go Pre!

Aren't chickens still considered currency in Mexico?
                  as well as small children, yes.
                    Please let me know how much they end up costing you after you actually receive them Wink I work for Canada Post and many times I deliver stuff, people have ordered from the States. The song is always the same; I've already prepaid for this why am I being billed again? My standard reply is "Don't shoot the messenger" but many addon costs I have seen are GST, PST, Duty, Canada Post charge ($5), for collecting any of the aforementioned costs. I buy my shoes at National sports most of the time. You do have to watch for sales though, if you are going to use 5 or 6 pairs of shoes per year you will always buy the shoe when it goes on sale whether you need them or not. Thankfully shoes can be found for anywhere from $50 to $120 off the regular retail price, several times during the year at one store or another. Welcome to T-O, though and last winter did suck. Most winters aren't near that bad for snowfall. On the bad side though, it wasn't really that cold last winter.
                    Now that would annoy me. If that turns out to be the case then I will probably just have a friend buy them for me in the States and ship them up person to person if I'm not heading back in the next few weeks.
                    And who am I anyway?
                      Welcome to T.O. I buy my shoes from...... 1) http://www.therunningcompany.com/ 2) http://www.efootwear.com/ 3) The Running Room Its snowing outside my office window now... I might have to wear tights for my run this evening. Boo winter!
                        Welcome to T.O. I buy my shoes from...... 1) http://www.therunningcompany.com/ 2) http://www.efootwear.com/
                        x2 The shoes are expensive, but healthcare is a bargain. Take your pick, I guess. Wink
                          Welcome to T-O, though and last winter did suck. Most winters aren't near that bad for snowfall. On the bad side though, it wasn't really that cold last winter.
                          Haha. Heh. Ummm... "wasn't really that cold last winter".... errrrr....CRAP!
                          And who am I anyway?
                            Welcome to T.O. I buy my shoes from...... 1) http://www.therunningcompany.com/ 2) http://www.efootwear.com/
                            Hmm I went to running company, and couldn't see any shoes. I got to the shoe page but nothing came up, other than a paragraph of text tlking about shoes. Regarding e footware, how much are the addon charges? I tried to go through the procedure of buying a pair, to get a shipping cost but the page doen't accept a Canadian postal code. the shoes were 79.99 plus shipping. Did you incur any other surprise charges?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

The Running Company don't have an online purchase program..... I actually drive to the store in Oakville. eFootwear...... 1 package 2 pair of shoes...... Shipping/Duty/Tax combined less than $50. 2 pair delivered for less than 1 pair at the Running Room
                                Let me break it down for you fella... An excerpt from my log: AsicsGel Nimbus 9. White/Quicksilver/Royal Blue (0191). Close-out model ordered online from efootwear.com. Got two (2) pairs at $79.99/each, plus $35 shipping and handling. My special thanks to Canada Border Services Agency for levying $29.24 in duty, $9.59 in GST and $15.34 PST AND a $5.00 handling fee?!? - fucking bastards! Went up a half size. $131.67 per pair, all in the last time I ordered. The first time I ordered, CBSA did not charge any duty, just taxes, so I saved myself another $30 or so. Granted, the $CAD ain't what it used to be... John Stanton would have you believe that the MSRP for these shoes is $179.99, plus $23 or so in taxes for a total of about $203 per pair. Even with today's exchange, it's a bargain.