Toronto and Beyond

Crap! (Read 89 times)

Yeah so in all the run today was not nearly as bad as I had feared. But I have to admit that the first kilometer was pretty special. Looking back I had to sort of laugh about the running commentary that was going on inside my head until I was able to get settled in. It went something like this... What the *^&% am I doing out here? @@#$% it's @#$!#@% cold out here! Cripes! If I had wanted to run in weather colder than my ex-wife's heart I would have moved to Alaska or Canada instead of Toron... Crap! Is it possible to freeze to death while running? Ok. I'm ok. This isn't so bad. Just remember, the last two k of this route head north and east. Which direction is the wind coming from? Crap! Is that lady going to move over or is she just going to run over me? C'mon lady, you've got the whole road here, don't make me run into a snow drift. Move over. Go on. Move! Crap! You get the idea. Like I said, after a K or two it was actually fairly smooth. I only had 5k planned so it was actually fairly smooth. Looking at either 5k or 10k tomorrow which concerns me a little. I mean, seriously... I know that we are all runners so it seems normal for us to go out in -15 weather for an hour or two and trot down the un-plowed street. But is that really normal? I say forget the More Miles Than Degrees Club. We need something like a More Layers Than Brain Cells Club.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
      you're a brave soul. It would have been a struggle out there..... major props for getting out there and running.
        Hahahaha! That's hilarious! Smile Isn't it wild what goes on in our heads when we run? I haven't gone out in this deep freeze yet - I'm too scared I'll freeze my face off. I am thinking of taking an hour and a bit off at lunch and running mid-day, which will be a first for me. -12 in the sun sure feels better than -20 in the dark!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Having just experienced the -16 in the dark deal I would have to agree. Nothing adds spice to a run like dodging cars in the snow. I was supposed to go 10k but I got so frustrated with the cars that I cut it short. Six times.. SIX!!!... I had to come to a complete stop so that a car could pass by me when there were no other cars on the road. I don't understand this at all. I'm running the left side so they see me coming, there are no parked cars, no cars coming behind me, and they literally veer closer to the side of the road to the point that they are hugging the snow bank. I have to come to a complete stop and they miss me by inches. I never had this problem running at night in the summer, but it's been constant this winter. It's ok during the day, but at night, wow. My routes expand so that after 4k I can either go straight and have a 5k route to home, or turn right and go for 10k. At the 8k point of my 10k I can either finish or turn again and have another 7k loop totaling 15.. well you get the idea. Anyway, just as I was approaching the 4k mark I was once again forced into a dead stop. I was so frustrated with it that I found myself standing in the road yelling obscenities at an old hasidic man in a minivan. It was at that point that I decided I should probably just head home.
          And who am I anyway?
          Just another fat jogger, evidently.