Toronto and Beyond

Tights!!! (Read 101 times)

Ok, so I broke down and went for the tights. I tried on the Nike Fits and the Seguoi or whatever it is and they were just not working for me. I finally found a pair of Mizuno tights that didn't make me look like an aging one hit wonder auditioning for celebrity rehab. I took them out for a spin today and came back with a few questions. First of all, and I'm not sure if this is a question or an observation, they felt great for the first hour and a half but after that I was definitely starting to feel a bit of a chill. I wound up running about 2.5 hours and by the time I got home I was not at all warm. Is this a common experience? I guess I'm asking if there is a piece of conventional wisdom out there that says that if you are running more than x amount of time then you need to go with trackies over the tights or something. I know this sounds stupid but I honestly expected to get warmer as I went along and I did for a time but then definitely not warmer. Oh, one other tights related question.... where do you put your stuff? I carry keys, a bit of money, maybe a cell phone, sometimes written directions for a new route. I wound up taking my house key off of the ring and putting that in the tiny little gel pocket, and everything else I just jammed up the sleeves of my shirt. I'm not a fuel belt person at all so that's not really an option. Any other ideas? I would love to find an arm band type thing that would work as an extra pocket.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
      Think function over fashion. If they aren't keeping you warm now, they won't in Jan when the wind is really blowing. Keep trying different brands until you find something you are happy with. Inquire about return policies. Any reputable store will take them back within a reasonable amount of time - provided you don't run commando. Another vote for the Sugoi Sub Zero. I also have some HighSport mid-weight tights I like (and they are quite reasonable).
        My Adidas tights are for mildly cool weather; I wear wind pants over them for cold days. they have a small zip pocket for change or keys, nothing else, same as shorts so not a problem. I don't carry a phone or other stuff (leave me alone, I'm running!) In cold weather i wear a jacket with pockets.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I wear wind pants over them for cold days.
          Absolutely if it is windy you need wind pants. I wear loose fitting tights...I know but that is what they are, just a little snug around the thighs and calves and a little on the loose side around the butt. They never get any more than a little damp in Winter. I guess I don't sweat that much. It is worth repeating, wear Wind pants. MTA: I went out for 2 hrs in shorts and T today, Temp was 5C and overcast ..However there was no wind and I didn't see the Mountain Lion. I'm lucky I didn't come across it, cause I forgot my whistle!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

just bought a pair of Sugoi Mid-Zero and Sub-Zero. Hoping for the best. 1 run in the mid-zero and so far so good.... I hear great things about the sub-zero. Had a pair of Mizuno last year and I didn't love them.. but they got me through the winter. I think good wicking running underwear are the key.... have to get the sweat away from your body.... my ass gets really cold and its not cool (pardon the pun) Shorts and a long sleeve tonight..... no wind is key. That effing wind is the problem.