Toronto and Beyond

Cooler weather but still running in shorts and T's (Read 224 times)

11 degrees today but I didn't give in, still running in summer stuff. How about the rest of ya, breaking out the tights yet?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Go Pre!

I run in shorts year round. Wore my running pants a handful of times last winter. it's comfort, not a testosterone display. I just don't feel the cold. Basically if it is windy AND cold, I wear the pants to reduce windburn. Tops are another story. I will wear 1-4 of layers as needed. Makes me kinda top heavy some days!
        Wimped out and wore the long pants tonight. First time since April, I think. I'm pretty sure it was in single digits.... Roll eyes But, I do LOVE the cooler weather for running!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Tights come out at <-10c, or severe wind chill. that's how i roll, yo. mta: just cracked the neck of my second st. ambroise biere noire a l'avoine. what now, bitches? or="" severe="" wind="" chill.="" that's="" how="" i="" roll,="" yo.="" mta:="" just="" cracked="" the="" neck="" of="" my="" second="" st.="" ambroise="" biere="" noire="" a="" l'avoine.="" what="" now,="" bitches?=""></-10c, or severe wind chill. that's how i roll, yo. mta: just cracked the neck of my second st. ambroise biere noire a l'avoine. what now, bitches? >
            Lot of testosterone left over from the race? I'm about to crack my first Molson Canadian Light Guinness I fire on the tights below 5. Deal with it.
              Tights, short sleeved shirt yesterday. Long sleeved one night earlier this week. Having grown up in Africa I do not deal well with cold weather..

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I managed a decent run this AM... 2 degrees at 5am.... shorts, long sleeve shirt, and gloves. Surprisingly comfortable.

Go Pre!

10k tonight, after dark, shorts, under armour long sleeve plus t shirt over top, gloves, cap. Was a bit warm but not too bad. I hate hats
                    I'm good with shorts until it gets to 0, still wearing the t shirt I'm not sure how cold it has to get to wear long sleeve tops. On a side note us posties have an unofficial contest to see who keeps the shorts on the latest in the year. Not sure about the temps but the last guy to stop wearing shorts is usually around Dec 1st.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Last January I went for a run in about 4 inches of snow. Ran 30 minutes then went into an underground parking lot and did intervals, when I came out a bearded guy ran by the opposite way-in shorts! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Go Pre!

Last January I went for a run in about 4 inches of snow. Ran 30 minutes then went into an underground parking lot and did intervals, when I came out a bearded guy ran by the opposite way-in shorts! Simon.
                        I think I know that bearded guy.
                          I think I know that bearded guy.
                          Was the bearded guy really old with a long beard peppered with grey? I was walking home from work the other day and I saw an older guy running and a young guy (runner) stopped to talk to him for a while. I live nowhere near Daddyo so I don't know why he'd be near my place unless he was on a very long run....

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

My goal this year is to stay in shorts until it gets below 5 degrees. Short sleeve t's until it gets below 10, and then long sleeve t's until 0. That's the goal anyway. Last winter was my first up here and the goal was simply survival. I grew up in southern Illinois in the U.S. so I get winter ( but good gawd does it have to keep snowing in March and April? ), but I spent the last five years in Tampa where winter was pretty much June here. I am a little nervous, though, as I am forced to take a few weeks off for some mystery foot ailment and this is the time when I should be acclimating to the cold. Besides, I'm a lot slower than you guys so the cold is worse for me... that's my theory anyway. Something about generating less friction as I move through the air at a slower pace. Yeah, that's it. Less friction equals less heat. Yeah. I'm going with that one.
                            And who am I anyway?
                            Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                            redleaf

My goal this year is to stay in shorts until it gets below 5 degrees. Short sleeve t's until it gets below 10, and then long sleeve t's until 0. That's the goal anyway. Last winter was my first up here and the goal was simply survival. I grew up in southern Illinois in the U.S. so I get winter ( but good gawd does it have to keep snowing in March and April? ), but I spent the last five years in Tampa where winter was pretty much June here. I am a little nervous, though, as I am forced to take a few weeks off for some mystery foot ailment and this is the time when I should be acclimating to the cold. Besides, I'm a lot slower than you guys so the cold is worse for me... that's my theory anyway. Something about generating less friction as I move through the air at a slower pace. Yeah, that's it. Less friction equals less heat. Yeah. I'm going with that one.
                              Nice shift that one eh? From Tampa to Toronto? My brother is from Toronto but then spent 7 or 8 years between Sarasota and Tampa. Then moved to Edmonton for a year. Toronto is practically balmy compared to Edmonton! Hope the foot heals up quickly!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

November 1st and still in shorts! Woo hoo! What a lovely day for running! Anotherfinemess, last winter was extremely unusual weather for Toronto. Hopefully you'll find this year easier - at least that's what I'm hoping too!