Toronto and Beyond

2009 Plans (Read 164 times)

It sounds like many of us are starting to think about next year's running highlights. Maybe Daddyo could make this a sticky post and we could add to it (or subtract depending on injuries Sad ). My plans Increase long run to 15 miles Take the RR half marathon run course Run a half-marathon. Get new PRs in 5, 8, 10k. That's about it! How about the rest of you? Big grin

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

early goals..... subject to change without notice - Finish Around the Bay 30 K - Sub 1:45 in HM - Possibly, maybe, could be, there is a chance..... Fall Marathon, finish. - drink more beer.
        Pie in the sky wish list. However I am embarassed to have these lofty goals but here it goes.... To run 5,000 4,000km for the year. Qualify for the Boston Marathon (Hopefully in May) and if I do get that qualifying thing out of the way....Look to run tough races maybe even ultras. Join the Marathon Maniacs. .................That is all Santa Big grin MTA- Kicking Jason's Butt in the Sporting Life 10K Tongue 2nd MTA - A lowering of my expectations........already I know Surprised

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Go Pre!

Too many to mention! OK, here are a few... Drop 15 lbs Sub 20 minute 5k if I don't manage to do so this Dec 13th BQ wth a sub 3:20 marathon Sub 1:30 HM somewhere close to the end of the year Back to Back weekend Marathons Sub 40 at the Sportinglife 10K 50K Ultra, either Niagara on the Lake in June, or the Toad
            Drop 3lbs, (to get under 160lbs.) Sub 45 mins at Sporting Life. Sub 1:40 half marathon. Simon, keeping it simple.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

My goals for '09 are still iffy, mainly because I have not run consistently since September due to injuries. So goal number one would be stay healthy. After that.... 5k < 25:00="" 10k="" />< 1:00:00="" 21k="" />< 2:10:00="" total="" miles="" /> 1500k But the real big one for me.... PASS SOMEONE I wouldn't be shocked if I got the first 4 without ever getting the last one.
              And who am I anyway?
              Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Go Pre!

My goals for '09 are still iffy, mainly because I have not run consistently since September due to injuries. So goal number one would be stay healthy. After that.... PASS SOMEONE I wouldn't be shocked if I got the first 4 without ever getting the last one.
                Just start out at the back of the pack...it's inevitable.
                  I don't enter races so there is no pack. I posted this in another thread on the main forum but it probably merits repeating here so that comment makes sense. I've been running now for just under two years. I ran in Tampa and then up here for the last year and change. I run on fairly popular routes. I run the Kay Gardner, I run Yonge St., Mt. Pleasant, Cedarvale Park Trail, etc. In the entire time that I have been running I have never passed another runner. I know this sounds impossible, but it's true. Never. Not one time. I've been passed by runners of every age, shape and size. I have passed pedestrians. I have passed dog walkers. But I have never passed a runner. Twice I came close. Once I did actually pull ahead of someone on the Gardner for about 100m, but he quickly passed me back and then turned right off the trail. The other time, this was a month or so ago, I thought that I had actually passed someone. She was on the trail. She was running. I passed her. I was secretly exalting myself as I slid by her and about five seconds later I heard her yell "There you are! Come here!" I turned to see that she was not so much a runner as someone who was chasing her dog that had slipped it's leash. So really, the goal for this year is to actually pass another runner.
                  And who am I anyway?
                    Pretty funny........but in all honesty I've only passed another runner twice in the 15 months I've been running. (Not counting races ofcourse). Hey we aren't counting the ones going in the opposite direction are we Clowning around?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Haha - anutherfinemess - I know what you're saying! Last fall I was running in Sunnybrook park and I saw a walking runner (she was dressed like a runner) ahead of me so I assumed she was on her walk break. I came up beside her and realized she must have been in her late 60's. I made a joke about racing together, she laughed, said "go for it", then I passed her. About 30 seconds later she went flying passed me. Damn! I was pretty embarrassed! Blush Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Haha - anutherfinemess - I know what you're saying! Last fall I was running in Sunnybrook park and I saw a walking runner (she was dressed like a runner) ahead of me so I assumed she was on her walk break. I came up beside her and realized she must have been in her late 60's. I made a joke about racing together, she laughed, said "go for it", then I passed her. About 30 seconds later she went flying passed me. Damn! I was pretty embarrassed! Blush Smile
                        Oh ouch!
                        And who am I anyway?
                          we all have stories.... one time this dude pushing a double stroller blew past my like I was standing still and I then had to watch him run away from me for about 2 miles..... Black eye and of course there was the smokin' hot chick I tried to follow during the Good Life Toronto Half Marathon.... no chance. I was a lot more fun watching her run away though. Big grin
                          redleaf

hmmm okay, this might be a little rambling but bear with me. I've been pretty quiet lately I guess as I have been sulking about being told by the substitut doc to not run for 6 weeks thanks to whatever the heck is wrong with my knee. But enough is enough I say... DH has basically said he can't live with me being so "blah" and went out and got me winter running tights. Nice and slow and then we'll see what the doctor says in two weeks. My goals for 2009? -to be injury free -to be consistent - work back up to running 3-4 times a week and then worry about milage (kilometerage?) -to run a 5km race faster than I did at Scotiabank -to run a 10km race -to lose 50 pounds (yep, read that right...and yes, I will do it sensibly, exercise more, eat less, mostly plants... wasn't that it? Wink)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

< redleaf="" />>> So sorry to hear about your injury! Sad We all know how it is - you get so pumped about running that getting told not to run for 6 weeks is horrible news! That happened to me early in my running. I got a stress fracture because I started running too hard without a proper base. I spent the time on an elliptical while I was healing. It helped to keep my fitness level up. Do you have access to one? Follow your doctor's orders though - 6 weeks off running now is a small price to pay so that you can smash your 5k P.R. in the spring!

hmmm okay, this might be a little rambling but bear with me. I've been pretty quiet lately I guess as I have been sulking about being told by the substitut doc to not run for 6 weeks thanks to whatever the heck is wrong with my knee. But enough is enough I say... DH has basically said he can't live with me being so "blah" and went out and got me winter running tights. Nice and slow and then we'll see what the doctor says in two weeks. My goals for 2009? -to be injury free -to be consistent - work back up to running 3-4 times a week and then worry about milage (kilometerage?) -to run a 5km race faster than I did at Scotiabank -to run a 10km race -to lose 50 pounds (yep, read that right...and yes, I will do it sensibly, exercise more, eat less, mostly plants... wasn't that it? Wink)
                                Hmmm thought you died or something Big grin Goodluck! Weight loss is key, try to lose 15lbs before running anything more than 10 min. It'll be a huge help. My thinking is your knees have strength from carrying extra weight. So 15 lbs lighter may negate the pounding. The pounding plus extra weight will probably result in injury again. Swim more, bike more, lose 15lbs then start running long. Your knees are probably very strong as compared to a thin person. !f you lose a little weight first you will be ahead of the game. Definition of insanity.......Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results Albert Einstein