Toronto and Beyond

Happy New Year (Read 157 times)

Anyone get out today? I slept off the hangover with a 2 hour mid-afternoon nap and then squeezed in an easy 4 miles. Jason
      I woke up in Ottawa to -20* C bright sunshine so went out for a bit. Brrrrr. I was warm enough except for my forehead. At least it doesn't say 0 total miles in my log summary! Happy New Year! Big grin

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

redleaf

Yeap Big grin well - on the treadmill anyway. 4.4 km

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Go Pre!

We did the Hair of the Dog race on the boardwalk. Great event! Mini race report: Great event, run on Toronto's waterfront boarwalk which was covered in snow, fortunately matted down but still a tough run. I wish I'd remembered to wear my screw shoes! Peach Schnapps at the turnaround aid station. It went down nice. Great bunch of runners, 15 in total jumped in the lake after the race. I ran it in 40:45 for 19th overall. Unfortunately, no age group awards but a great post race chili lunch and I won a cap as a door prize. Mrs Daddyo ended her rest period this week aqnd ran it too, relatively pain free which was great for her. After 5 bottles of red wine between 3 of us last night this race felt surprisingly good. Happy New Year!
            Not me. I am on the shelf for a bit, as my log clearly reflects. Having issues with my right achilles. Went to the chiropractor today only to learn that i) my existing orthodics need replacement; and, ii) my right leg is shorter than my left exacerberating the strain on my right side. This explains a lot, actually. After a gait analysis, it was pretty clear I over-pronate - badly. She did an adjustment, accupuncture on the achilles and lower leg and ART on my right calf. Tomorrow, I go back for more of the same. Icing it daily as well. Next up: stretching, strengthening and some very easy, short runs (maybe as early as Sun). So, that's how 2009 is starting off for me. Spring racing calendar is up in the air the moment. I'll see how the recovery goes and take it from there. Happy New Year, everyone.
              Ok I have to respond to this one because it may be the only time in my running life that I am not at the back of the pack. I managed 10k on the first and another 5 today to go along with a 10 and a 5 on the 30th and 31st respectively. In the interest of full disclosure, they were all four achingly slow. Trying to rebuild from injury and committed to giving the HRM thing a shot for at least six weeks. So yeah... I was out there. But I was sloooooooooooooow.
              And who am I anyway?
              Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Go Pre!

Not me. I am on the shelf for a bit, as my log clearly reflects. Having issues with my right achilles. Went to the chiropractor today only to learn that i) my existing orthodics need replacement; and, ii) my right leg is shorter than my left exacerberating the strain on my right side. This explains a lot, actually. After a gait analysis, it was pretty clear I over-pronate - badly. She did an adjustment, accupuncture on the achilles and lower leg and ART on my right calf. Tomorrow, I go back for more of the same. Icing it daily as well. Next up: stretching, strengthening and some very easy, short runs (maybe as early as Sun). So, that's how 2009 is starting off for me. Spring racing calendar is up in the air the moment. I'll see how the recovery goes and take it from there. Happy New Year, everyone.
                Very sorry to hear this, both because I feel bad for you and was hoping to get some runs/races in together. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
                  Sorry to hear that....... Get healthy Dave! I'm sure you'll do it right and will be kicking my ass before the Chilly.
                    Thanks fellas. Yesterday was more of the same - another adjustment and more accupuncture. What a difference. I am not usually one to subscribe to hocus-pocus, alternative medicines, but wow does it work. Swelling and pain are GONE. It feels completely normal. I was also cast for new orthodics. In the interim, at my chiro's request, I picked up an over-the-counter heel pad to lift my right heel approx. 2-3mm to compensate for the difference. This should help align the spine and hips alleviating much of the strain on my right side - particularly the achilles. She wants me to go for a very easy, short run today (approx. 4-5 kms). I'll do some gentle stretching and icing when I get home. I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow night. Wish me luck. I am registered for the Chilly HM, but not for AtB. I'll see how the recovery goes. Anyone know if it is getting full or not?
                      Update: 5km went well. Very, very slow. But, it felt good to be running. A decent cool-down, some light stretching and icing of the affected area. I am happy to report, no swelling, pain/discomfort or redness. I'll ice it again tonight. Rest tomorrow, but a follow-up with the Chiro at 6:15pm.
                        Great news about the run! Who is your Chiro? I've been going to the Sports Medicine Clinic on Eglinton and although they are great for treating injuries, they are useless at prevention. Maybe your Chiro might help me.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Not sure it will help (I live in Oakville) but for what it is worth, I've been seeing Dr. Lidia Bartolomucci at the The Well Life Centre. www.well-life.ca