Toronto and Beyond

The long and winding road (back from injury) (Read 163 times)

Well, things seem to be improving. I got the green light to begin ramping up mileage at the last check-up and have being doing so, albeit slowly. Generally, things feel pretty good and I have been careful not to i) increase mileage too quickly; ii) run too hard; or , iii) ignore my post-run stretching and icing. So far, so good - though I do seem to be suffering a crisis of confidence lately. I am plagued by questions of self-doubt which I suspect are common to those coming back from injury. I struggle with taking it easy/playing it smart, doubting if I am just being a pussy (sorry, if this offends the delicate). Anyone here share a similar experience? I've signed up for AtB. I hope to be in decent shape by then, but am starting to think I will not be 100% back to racing form. Not sure if I will run a Spring marathon (I was thinking of Ottawa) or just focus on some faster shorter races - 5, 10k and a HM (possibly Mississauga). I can say though it is good to be out running again...

Go Pre!

Great to have you back!
        Hang in there, brother. And listen to your body and not your ego. I completely understand the self-confidence issue. I also understand the frustration of not being able to jump right back into what you were doing before. I managed to turn a two week non-running injury into a three month running drama because I kept refusing to accept the idea of taking a step backwards. Be smart. Listen to your doc. Listen to your body. And as for the self confidence, hey, even gimpy you're still faster than me.
        And who am I anyway?
        Just another fat jogger, evidently.
          Welcome back! I think you need to think about what your goals are before you sign up for too many races. Isn't it better to take a year of getting totally healed from the injury and beating all your PR's the next year? That's where I'd be at. But I'm not you. I had a stress fracture that put me out for 6 weeks and I am never going to allow that to happen again! Rebuilding is good, too. P.S. You're not being a pussy but I'm not a guy so really can't help you there. Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Thanks folks. By the way, there's a rumour that people (incl. me) are running from LaSalle Park (Burlington) starting at 07:30 on Sat. Just saying. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Go Pre!

Thanks folks. By the way, there's a rumour that people (incl. me) are running from LaSalle Park (Burlington) starting at 07:30 on Sat. Just saying. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
              very possible - lemme look into that. MTAsk: what distance?
                About 1.5 hours (maybe 9-10 miles). E-a-s-y. Remember, I am still recovering. JasonR may join too... Maybe you two could carpool?

Go Pre!

About 1.5 hours (maybe 9-10 miles). E-a-s-y. Remember, I am still recovering. JasonR may join too... Maybe you two could carpool?
                  I think I have your cell #'s - just in case - email me: clubhouseleader 'at' gmail 'dot' com
                    I'm going to try and make it out this on Saturday. I stopping by another friend's place after the run so I won't be able to car pool...... I'm rehabbing my knee so I plan to take it easy on Saturday too....

Go Pre!

I am hit n miss - may have to work.
                        Hope you can make it. If not Sat, another time...

Go Pre!

It's looking good. Got your email. Will confirm this arvo.