Toronto and Beyond

What do you do when it snows? (Read 88 times)

I am having a heck of a time getting out lately since the sidewalks are so poorly cleared in my neighbourhood. Is there somewhere in TO where I could get a long run (10miles) in? I don't remember this much snow so early in the season. I do have a treadmill available but I can't run very far on it for some reason. Wouldn't it be cool if the city would close down a road every Sunday where all the runners could safely run on for their long runs? Even if they didn't close the whole road, they could close off one lane. Whatcha think? Maybe I'll email Miller....

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I ran down the side of the road, and sometimes the middle of the road today. I live in a smaller community, so the sidewalks are not cleared, or don't exist. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Sidestreets. That's about all you can do. I logged about 40 minutes today and it was entirely on sidestreets. There was just so much snow that the streets themselves weren't that much more clear than the sidewalks, but the snow on the streets was at least softer.
        And who am I anyway?
        Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Go Pre!

Just run on it, accept it, don;t wish it away or it will frustrate you. Adjust your footing, short strides, accept that it will slow you down. It is sort of like trail running. Pretend you are in some exotic location running throufgh a rain forest. (Yes, Ii am serious) Buy some Yak Trax from a running shop. Don't overthink it. Enjoy it. Thats all I have.
            I always look at it as bonus calf work.
            And who am I anyway?
            Just another fat jogger, evidently.
              Just run on it, accept it, don;t wish it away or it will frustrate you. Adjust your footing, short strides, accept that it will slow you down. Thats all I have.
              Yep that about covers it. I only fell once last winter and I ran 5 or 6 times a week. The worst running is slush, something I'll never do again. You can't keep your feet dry, so an hour run is really about the same as sticking your foot in one of those slushie drinks for an hour. Feet stay dry on days like today so I'm happy.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius