Grandmas Marathon

Weather (Read 387 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Since I am not running this year, it will be 47 degrees, overcast with a slight wind from the east.
      Since I am not running this year, it will be 47 degrees, overcast with a slight wind from the east.
      that would work for me ... the last two years have been way too hot for my liking!

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

High of around 55 yesterday, been raining all week. A splash of sun hear or there, but not much.

Imminent Catastrophe

Long-term forecasts (which are next to useless, but anyway...) consensus is low 50's to 70ish, maybe rain. At least they don't show excessive heat. Trent (or anyone), what's the elevation profile on Grandma's, is it rolling hills?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Long-term forecasts (which are next to useless, but anyway...) consensus is low 50's to 70ish, maybe rain. At least they don't show excessive heat. Trent (or anyone), what's the elevation profile on Grandma's, is it rolling hills?
            Elevation Profile Trent has other versions that use a different scale, but the data is basically the same. Also take a look at the pacing chart (I reposted it a couple topics down) -- it has a mile-by-mile elevation breakdown.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, I am not as big a fan of those elevation profiles because they make nearly all marathons look flat. Here is my RA elevation profile: http://runningahead.com/maps/4eaef7512d5540868f7192b43dc9119f Mildly rolling hills with an overall down over the first 18 miles, then a slow climb until 25 with a biggish hill between 22 and 23, then a major drop at mile 25. Flat from there to the finish.
                I forgot that I saved a Google Earth track of my 2007 race. If you want to "visualize" Grandma's in the Google Earth world, you can download it here. Don't forget to visualize yourself running faster than my sorry, slow ass. Wink

Imminent Catastrophe

Sheesh. It's along a lake. Shouldn't it be flat? That theory didn't work out so well at Crater Lake, either.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Sheesh. It's along a lake. Shouldn't it be flat? That theory didn't work out so well at Crater Lake, either.
                    The idea is that cool breezes waft off the chilly waters of Lake Superior, allowing Grandma's runners to glide in near air-conditioned comfort... ...however, in 2007, not so much. No

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Or 2006. Or 2005. A buncha hot years. Sheesh.