Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

BeeRunB

5 miles

MAF

1:18:00

Felt good.

--JimmyCool

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5 miles

118 /138

Felt good but notice paces were over 14:00

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

5 miles

118 /138

Felt good but notice paces were over 14:00

You're the road runner zipping by compared to my paces at MAF this week!

Cool

Hey, all! Hope you don't mind a forum newbie.

I'm on my 9th week of Maffing, trying to stay under 136. Weekly mileage has been in the 22-range, with occasional cut back weeks, this week a step up to 24 or 25.

Progress has been real, but slow. My first week pace averaged 17:15 per mile, with my very best mile at 16:30 (worst? 18:35...but I logged a 19:07 several weeks ago on a really, really bad run). Last week I averaged 16:12, and my fastest mile this week has been 14:40. 

My dream goal was to come close to my usual 11Tight lippedx-12Tight lippedx pace in a 12-week base-building phase, but unless things change drastically, I'm not going to get there. I'll continue to do most of my runs below my limit after the 12 weeks is up, but I'll resume weekly runs with my training buddy in January when I get back to the States (I've been in Finland since August--my husband spending a semester at the university here). So I'll have one longish run a week above target HR, plus I'll start doing races again every few weeks.

I hope I'll see some improvement in race times, and that starting to do runs at higher HRs won't totally impede progress.  

Ran for 35 minutes today, which came out to 2.27 miles, average pace 15:25. HR: ave 133, max 142 (oops, wasn't paying attention on a hill). Best mile was 14:47, which is the third mile ever I've run under 15 while Maffing. It's also the 5th run in a row where I've averaged under 16, so I'm pleased with that.

The question in another thread about caffeine made me think of another thing that affects my heart rate: alcohol. As little as two glasses of wine with dinner, and my HR is high the next morning. One glass is okay. More than two and it gets incredibly worse. Hard alcohol has a terrible effect. I've never been a heavy drinker or had much tolerance for alcohol, but this really made me sit up and take notice--the increased HR many hours after imbibing tells me my body does not like alcohol at all. 

Anybody else notice something similar, or do I just not process alcohol well?

npaden

Thought I had my goal of a 10:00 avg pace for a 6 mile MAF run beat this morning, but it slipped away. Was a nice morning for it, 40 degrees, 12 mph wind out of the North. At the 3 mile mark I was at 9:32 avg pace and 137 avg HR (MAF is 136). Trouble was that mile 4 is uphill a little and miles 5 and 6 were back into the wind. Got a false spike on my HRM during mile 4 and just decided to keep my pace the rest of the way and not worry about my HR. Ended up with a 9:47 avg pace and a 140 avg HR. Nice run.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

npaden--yeah, those hills make a difference! Where I'm running, it's mostly flat, but even the bridges and smallish hills make a difference to my HR.

My run today: 3 miles in 46:58, 15:39 pace, ave HR 132, max 137 (MAF 136). 6th run in a row under 16:00. Hoping I can continue the trend tomorrow, but it's my long run (7-8 miles, may do it by time instead of distance), so we'll see.

Chasing the bus

I've never joined a daily group, but this one sorta looks like home? We'll see if I can bring some consistency to this...

Did 7 miles today inside in my Altra Adams on the treadmill, since the windchill here was -25F. I did the  first mile slow, HR under 115, incline 1.5%, pace 12mm (I'm using 131 as my MAF). Ramped up to 10:44mm, HR up to 128, slowly creeping up. At about mile 3.5 i had to back off to 11mm and 1% incline. Backed again to 11:15 at around 4 mi. and held till almost 5 mi, started getting low/unstable HR? Tried to catch it by speeding up, slowing down, Finally stabilized again around 130bpm and 11:15 (which really seems to be my current MAF pace). Finished well. Feeling good. Legs feel like it was a good workout (the minimal shoes usually do that).

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Everyone appears to be progressing nicely. Recovery day. Neck is a little stiff and thighs sore. Temp 27F. Decided not to walk in the cold.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

8 miles today in 2:01:20, pace 15:10, average HR 133, max 140 (MAF 136). Two miles under 15:00! Very pleased.

All runs this week had averaged under 16:00 pace, but wasn't sure how long run would go, especially as I was upping the distance to about 8 miles (set Garmin for 2:01:00 as wanted to go just over 2 hrs, mileage was 7.98 at end so restarted watch and finished up last .02 mile). It was actually my fastest-paced run of the week.

For the week:

miles: 25.27

time: 6:31:06

ave. pace: 15:29 (down from last week's 16:12)

ave. HR: 133

John/Furthur--are you just transitioning to minimalist shoes? I'm not familiar with Altra Adams. How are they?

Chasing the bus

I like the adams pretty well, actually. They are nice and wide across the forefoot, but not sloppy (I'm a 2E). I only have 21 treadmill mi. in them so far. I also have a pair of NB Minimus road zero's, same size, 2E width, and the feel while running is almost identical. The NB's have laces, of course, so the fit is a little more adjustable, but the Altras don't seem to need adjusting... I have worn the NB's outside, gravel and rain, and really like them. I am still transitioning, but at this point, I feel like I could run almost exclusively minimalist.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

labhiker

5:30am 27f windy with notable windchill. Both hands where painfully cold holding two handhelds  around mile 9 running into a strong headwind.  18.8miles, 119 ave.  Progression run with first hr at or below 114, next below 119, then 124 and lastly towards 129. Decent hr control using water and E tabs each hour.  

9 mpace progression run yesterday. Built each mile from 114, low 120s, 130, 140, 150s, 150s, 160,160s, 160s.  

labhiker

Painfully cold hands doesn't sound great, labhiker! If you're going out for hours at a time, maybe ask Santa for a hydration vest?

I did 2 miles recovery after yesterday's 8. Deliberately kept it MAF -10 for first mile, let it go a little higher 2nd as the path through the woods always requires a little more effort.

So:

mile 1: 15:31 pace, ave. HR 125, max 131

mile 2: 15:26 pace, ave. HR 129, max 137 (little hill coming out of woods gets me every time! also picked it up a little right at end)

For run, average HR 127 (MAF is 136), ave. pace 15:29. First run that averaged below 130. Until now I haven't played with pace much--it's been too much of an effort to stay under 136. I'm happy I can now go below that and still be faster than I was even a week or two ago.

npaden

3.28 miles on the treadmill last night.  Avg HR right around 129.  Max 134.  10:02 avg pace.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

dallison

registered pw

I am new to the HR training and hopefully i can get some help here.

To give you a little background, i have been running gain for 4 years. This year i have been running 100-140 mpm since April. I have run over a dozen 5k's ranging from 19:24-20:50, two half marathons, both at 1:35, one 10k at 42 minutes and one full marathon at 3:42. I was not trained at all on the marathon and had a long run of 17 miles just a week before. I also had to walk part of the last three miles.

I am not super fast but fast enough to be in the top 5% of any 5k race and have placed in my AG in most except the turkey trot this past weekend, but there were 2200 other runners.

I am NOT doing that well in the half and full and want to be there. I finish in the top 25% but that's a far cry from where i am in a 5k.

I picked up a forerunner 410 and started using it the other day.

This is from my 6.2 mile run today in 27 degree weather. I think it took almost 2 miles for my body to warm up and my hr to lower.

mile time     avg HR

11:13           142

10:25            155

10:06             153

9:26             143

9:23             140

9:11              142

It has been difficult to keep it slow during runs, but i think i can do this for the next three months and bring my marathon time down.

I'm 37 so i guess my hr should be 143. Can i raise it a little or is this where i need to keep it?

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half