Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23292 times)

SD_BlackHills

Nearly, beaten the last injury.  I may get to CIM in December after all.

Alternating time of runs from 60 min, 80 min, 90 min with 20 to 30 min light evening jogs.  Also have worked in occasional high aerobic stuff (Hadd workouts) with either 1 mile at the end of the run, every other mile or 8 miles continuous with 1 mile warmup).

Oddly enough right now, my HR to Pace ratio is better than normal at lower HR's in the 130 - 150 range but worse than normal at the high aerobic 155 - 175 range.  I'm guessing that will work itself out.  About to start working in 2 hour long runs which should help with that.

Hope anyone else reading is having spectacular workouts!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi!  I arrived in Indianapolis only to find Miami weather last week.  Fall arrived this morning.

I don't know why but my HR is high here and have been unable to control it too much.  I know this is not at elevation, but wondering if the 800ft difference between Indianapolis and Miami have something to do with it.

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

Hi!  I arrived in Indianapolis only to find Miami weather last week.  Fall arrived this morning.

I don't know why but my HR is high here and have been unable to control it too much.  I know this is not at elevation, but wondering if the 800ft difference between Indianapolis and Miami have something to do with it.

Hey Docket!  Welcome to our world.

Elevation shouldn't affect your HR that much.  I usually run at 3300 ft and over the weekend was at 6600 ft.  No noticeable differences.  With no humidity your HR will probably end up being lower.  Maybe your HR is temporarily higher due to "change of life stress".  It will come around.  

SD_BlackHills

I think that my glute issue is mostly resolved.  I'm exactly 2 months away from CIM (California International Marathon).

Tentative marathon prep plan (all by feel):

Monday - 60 min EZ with some strides

Tues - 80 to 90 min EZ

Wed - 60 min EZ with some strides

Thurs - Fast but comfortable.  Mix it up.  Either 7 - 10 mile continuous tempo, 4 mile continuous tempo or 3 x 2 miles very fast.

Fri - 60 min EZ

Sat - 2:00 to 2:30 EZ Long Run

Sun - 60 to 90 min EZ

Add 30 minute double as many days as possible.

For my doubles, I'm either doing treadmill at 5% incline or looping up and down this super steep hill behind my house.  The hill is average 4.5% over 1/3 mile going up the south side or 7.1% for 1/5 mile on the east side.  Really good training effect.  I keep HR going up the hills or on the 5% incline treadmill around 130 bpm.  I actually do it entirely by feel but it seems to always end up around 130.

EZ runs by feel have been anywhere from 120 to 150 bpm depending on if I pick it up a bit, thrown in strides or just go dead easy.

Fast day I'm moving around due to weather so I get a good day.  I stay on a generally flat-ish surface and avoid big hills.  Again, all by feel, but have been averaging in the 165 - 175 range for this.  I start to feel pretty uncomfortable around 175 so there is no real danger of going over that if my focus is "easy-fast".

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey Docket!  Welcome to our world.

Elevation shouldn't affect your HR that much.  I usually run at 3300 ft and over the weekend was at 6600 ft.  No noticeable differences.  With no humidity your HR will probably end up being lower.  Maybe your HR is temporarily higher due to "change of life stress".  It will come around.  

My lungs cannot handle 3500ft without having breathing issues even so it's not like my lungs are normal. Wink

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

My lungs cannot handle 3500ft without having breathing issues even so it's not like my lungs are normal. Wink

Docket, you will adapt to Indy elevation.  It will probably help you a lot.

Marathon training for me is finally starting to hit it's stride a bit with 8 weeks to go.  I'm finally healthy and not feeling any soreness and think I have all the issues with my feet cleared up.  I'm pretty close to the schedule I posted earlier.

Last Week Total Miles:  83

Last Week Total Elevation Gain:  4590 ft

Doubles almost everyday.  The 2nd run is very easy, very low HR over hills or on a 5-7% incline treadmill.  Most runs were 60 minutes EZ.

My long run was exactly 1:59:40 in honor of the Great Eliud Kipchoge's accomplishment that morning.  I only covered 17.37 miles in that time, compared to his 26.2 miles.  

More importantly my HR to pace ration is improving.

Note the HR to Pace to Elevation Grade Ratio from this morning's 3x2 at high aerobic effort:

SD_BlackHills

Oops, moved from wrong thread:

Training continues to go well for CIM.  I'm approaching it like a building block race to a hopefully fast marathon in a few years.  Let's call this a practice race!  Race is on Dec 8.

This week:

* - Indicates treadmill (HR is lower on the treadmill)
                MaxHR ~ 196 bpm

Mon #1 - 60 min @ 8:27 (131 bpm)
                Mon #2 - 30 min @ hilly 9:40 (125 bpm)
                Tue #1 - 80 min @ 7:45 (141 bpm)
                Tue #2 - 30 min @ hilly 9:05 (122 bpm)
                Wed #1 - 50 min @ 8:02 (134 bpm)
                Wed #2 - 30 min @ hilly 9:21 (125 bpm)
                Thu #1 - 10 miles including 3 x 2 miles (6:34, 6:30, 6:13, 5:57, 6:07: 6:01)
                Thu #2 - 30 min @ hilly 9:21 (126 bpm)
                Fri - 60 min @ Windy 9:10 (124 bpm)
                Sat - 17 Mile Long Run - Last 10K splits from 6:17 down to 6:10 - Avg 6:35 (158 bpm)
                Sun #1 - 60 min @ Rainy 7:32 (141 bpm)
                *Sun #2 - 35 min 7% incline @ 10:39 (132 bpm)

Weekly Totals

Miles: 80.5 Miles
                Duration: 10:41
                Elevation Gain: 3584 ft

I think I'm going to increase the Tuesday morning run to closer to 2 hours.  This Thursday I think I'm going to replace the 3 x 2 with a 4 mile tempo.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job!

My HR has been so high during my runs that I need to run/walk for now.  All this stress from the move is likely the culprit.

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

Nice job!

My HR has been so high during my runs that I need to run/walk for now.  All this stress from the move is likely the culprit.

Thanks!  Yeah, supposedly the stress hormone cortisol will do that to a person.  I'm sure once your new reality feels normal that everything will start kicking in gear.

SD_BlackHills

* - Indicates treadmill (HR is lower on the treadmill due to 0 air resistance)
                      MaxHR ~ 196 bpm

Mon #1 - 60 min @ 8:18 (129 bpm)
                      *Mon #2 - 45 min @ 5% Incline 10:07 (127 bpm)
                      Tue #1 - 8 miles avg 6:43 (152 bpm) with last 4 miles @ 6:08 (163 bpm)
                      *Tue #2 - 45 min @ 5% Incline 10:21 (127 bpm)
                      *Wed #1 - 75 min @ 8:39 (120 bpm)
                      *Wed #2 - 45 min @ 5% Incline 9:36 (136 bpm)
                      Thu - 35 min @ Very Hilly 8:23 (134 bpm)
                      Fri #1 - 75 min @ Kinda Hilly 7:21 (144 bpm)
                      Fri #2 - 40 min @ Very Hilly 8:28 (131 bpm)
                      Sat #1 - 2 Hour Long Run @ 7:16 (140 bpm)
                      *Sat #2 - 45 min @ 5% Incline 9:56 (129 bpm)
                      *Sun #1 - 9 Mile Progression Avg 7:11 (140 bpm) w/ Mile 1 @ 8:55 (119 bpm) to Mile 9 @ 5:55 (166 bpm)
                      *Sun #2 - 45 min @ 5% Incline 10:07 (125 bpm)

Weekly Totals

Miles: 91.3 Miles
                      Duration: 12:31
                      Elevation Gain: 7186 ft

SD_BlackHills

Less than 5 weeks to CIM!

* - Indicates treadmill (HR is lower on the treadmill due to 0 air resistance)
                        MaxHR ~ 196 bpm

Irritated my glute while stretching on Monday so took several days off to get it right.

*Mon - 60 min @ 8:58 (115 bpm)
                        Tue - REST
                        Wed - REST
                        Thur - REST
                        *Fri #1 - 6 Miles with last mile in 5:53 (164 bpm) Avg 8:20 (124 bpm)
                        *Fri #2 - 45 min @ 9:43 (107 bpm)
                        Sat #1 - 13 miles @ 6:37 (157 bpm)
                        *Sat #2 - 35 min @ 5% Incline 10:21 (124 bpm)
                        Sun #1 - 9 Miles with last mile at 6:18 (155 bpm) Avg 7:35 (146 bpm)
                        Sun #2 - 45 min @ Very Hilly 9:30 (126 bpm)

Weekly Totals

Miles: 47.8 Miles
                        Duration: 6:31
                        Elevation Gain: 1960 ft

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice workouts!

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

Thanks!

The HR to Pace ratio is clearly improving from the low to the high end.  There is no guarantee this will translate favorably to racing though, especially at the marathon distance.  I guess we'll see!

Transitioning from the long singles to the short doubles seems to have me feeling a lot fresher day to day.  The real easy uphill efforts are making a difference as well (I think).  The treadmill incline really makes that easy to control.  It also helps having a giant hill in my neighborhood that I can loop up and down.  Big grin

I hope your HR is starting to stabilize, Docket.  If it hasn't yet, I'm sure it will soon.  

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It hasn't but last night's run was the first time it wasn't horribly high:

GPS Interval<button>Manual Laps</button>

Type Distance Duration Elapsed Time Pace Avg HR Max HR Notes
                              1 Interval 1 mi 12:17 12:17 12:17 133 167  
                              2 Interval 1 mi 12:02 24:19 12:02 115 131  
                              3 Interval 1 mi 11:21 35:40 11:21 118 139  
                              4 Interval 1 mi 11:12 46:52 11:12 122 137  
                              5 Interval 1 mi 10:50 57:42 10:50 131 154

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

It hasn't but last night's run was the first time it wasn't horribly high:

GPS Interval

Type Distance Duration Elapsed Time Pace Avg HR Max HR Notes
                                1 Interval 1 mi 12:17 12:17 12:17 133 167  
                                2 Interval 1 mi 12:02 24:19 12:02 115 131  
                                3 Interval 1 mi 11:21 35:40 11:21 118 139  
                                4 Interval 1 mi 11:12 46:52 11:12 122 137  
                                5 Interval 1 mi 10:50 57:42 10:50 131 154

That looks really good.  If your HR was any lower you are probably not getting much of a workout anyway.  That's really strange how much higher the maximum readings are from the averages.  I'm guessing its a chest strap and the contacts were just a bit dry in the first mile.  But even the other miles have a pretty wide range from average to max.  At the end of the day, the max value is nothing more than the tip top of the stochastic sawtooth waveform.  Continuous electrical measurement signals are funny that way.  Had you manually checked your pulse in Mile 3, you wouldn't have counted anything remotely close to 139.  It would have been closer to 118.  The real running stress that your body is feeling is the average anyway.

On another forum, I discovered that a lot of the really hardcore HR people only display Lap Average HR and just dial in each lap to a target.  I tried this a few times and it made for a fun game.  I wanted to see if I could hit an avg HR of 135 for every single mile split in a 10 mile run.  It was actually much easier to do than I thought and I ended up with the flattest HR graph I ever saw.

Another way of ignoring the meaningless max reading is to run an app on your watch that gives you an HR alert based on time.  I can't remember the name of it but there is one that will alarm on high HR only if you exceed it for a certain time.  For example, you can set the high limit to 140 bpm for 10 seconds.  It will only alarm if every reading is greater than or equal to 140 for 10 consecutive seconds.  That takes out the noisy signal problem.

Was icy out this morning so ran on the treadmill:

Mile Incline Time Avg HR
                                1 1% 9:23 113
                                2 1% 8:29 124
                                3 1% 7:56 132
                                4 1% 7:35 137
                                5 1% 7:28 141
                                6 1% 7:20 144
                                7 1% 7:13 148
                                8 1% 6:50 154
                                9 1% 6:25 159