Low HR Training

What do you do if there are no hills? (Read 268 times)

Dave59

It seems important to do some downhill running so you have to work to keep your heart rate up to MAF.  I can't even think of a hill near here that would be appropriate so is there an alternative?

I have only been at this for 5 weeks, but the constant slow shuffle can't be good.  I was thinking of adding a day where I run some one minute intervals at a hard pace.  My heart rate will probably go above MAF during the minute, but if I rest a lot in between them, and my other 6 days of running are all at MAF pace, will it still hurt progress? 

I feel like I need to do something.

BeeRunB

Dave,

The base period can  cause worry in some when they start out. "How could this shuffle be doing any good?" is a common response. All I can say is "it's temporary."  I'm not sure what brought you to MAF training, but if it was injuries, sore spots, or lack of endurance, then you have a lot in common with not only me, but others that came to this program. The key is sticking with it. The heart of it is progress without sacrificing health. The MAF test is the most important part in monitoring your aerobic speed. If you want to go over MAF for one run a week during the base period, keep tabs on your MAF tests. If your speed is improving at MAF HR, then most likely you're okay. But if you plateau suddenly, or regress--not okay.

Downhill running has helped some during a pure base period, but from experience I can tell you they aren't necessary to make progress. You will get faster at MAF anyway, if you stick with it. Building volume is more essential.  I've been in the shuffle stage and 16 weeks later I was out of it (currently in it). I'm not sure what you committed to when you started, 12-16-24 weeks, whatever, but when you reach the end of what you initially intended to do, try bringing one run a week where you work 80-90% for 20 minutes, after warm-up. You will sharpen up and if you worked your base period properly, you will see an improvement in aerobic speed as well. Keep monitoring your aerobic speed with the MAF test throughout the year, whether your racing, doing speed work, or even if you leave the idea of an aerobic base period forever. The test never lies about the state of your aerobic system.

As far as living in a place lacking any hills, there are treadmills with downhill settings on them. I've also read that some people have used parking garages.

--Jimmy Cool

Dave59

Thanks Jimmy.  I started the low heart rate stuff because I felt like I was having a bad year of running and getting bored.  I thought I'd do some research on training with a heart rate monitor just to do things differently.

In my research I ended up here and everything made a lot of sense.  My 10k and half marathon times were way off what my 5k times would predict.  Summer running isn't much fun anyway, so I decided to do 12 weeks of this to get me to the fall where I would do some races again.

I haven't figured out a specific MAF test yet.  I know I should.  My run today was the best in 5 weeks of MAF running.  So I think I am seeing some progress,  After a warm up I had 3 miles of 11 minutes or less (and then a couple slightly over 11).  If my times running at MAF continue to come down, at least close to a 10 minute pace, I'd be very happy.  I don't mind that pace.  It's the 13, 14, and 15 minute miles that can get discouraging.

BeeRunB

Thanks Jimmy.  I started the low heart rate stuff because I felt like I was having a bad year of running and getting bored.  I thought I'd do some research on training with a heart rate monitor just to do things differently.

In my research I ended up here and everything made a lot of sense.  My 10k and half marathon times were way off what my 5k times would predict.  Summer running isn't much fun anyway, so I decided to do 12 weeks of this to get me to the fall where I would do some races again.

I haven't figured out a specific MAF test yet.  I know I should.  My run today was the best in 5 weeks of MAF running.  So I think I am seeing some progress,  After a warm up I had 3 miles of 11 minutes or less (and then a couple slightly over 11).  If my times running at MAF continue to come down, at least close to a 10 minute pace, I'd be very happy.  I don't mind that pace.  It's the 13, 14, and 15 minute miles that can get discouraging.

You're welcome. 11 minutes or less in the summer is definitely getting there. Keep with it.

I'm currently in the 14:00's for a 1 mile MAF test, but normal training paces are 15-17:00 in 80-89°.  I just came off a 12 week break. Getting back to where I was seems so far away, but I'll get there 1 run at a time. 

If I ran 11:00 right now,  it would seem real fast, but I remember a time when it felt slow!

I can see you getting down into the 9:00's by winter if you stick with it in between races. The races will be more than enough speedwork.

Keep going!

--JimmyCool