Low HR Training

So now that I understand HR during racing better, will you help me understand GU and similar during marathons? (Read 705 times)

Shiksa

On my long runs, as long as I am under MAF, I don't drink water or take GU or shot bloks (which are my preference). After I've been running above MAF for around an hour, I take shot bloks and water, and tend to do so every 45 minutes or so. Any tips for this? I am thinking of trying the GU Roctane prior to the race, but with the idea that I will use it that day. Should I not be using these at all over MAF or is it common to follow their usage guidelines during a hard run? I have so much to learn.

Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

On my long runs, as long as I am under MAF, I don't drink water or take GU or shot bloks (which are my preference). After I've been running above MAF for around an hour, I take shot bloks and water, and tend to do so every 45 minutes or so. Any tips for this? I am thinking of trying the GU Roctane prior to the race, but with the idea that I will use it that day. Should I not be using these at all over MAF or is it common to follow their usage guidelines during a hard run? I have so much to learn.
      First of all, this article should be helpful... http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/marathonlongrun.htm Most here do not take in calories during training. If you follow McMillan's advice in the article, you will take some calories in the form of GUs or sports drink on long runs with fast finishes (or if you do a long run with lots of marathon pace miles). If you are not taking GUs or sports drink (both contain electrolytes), you probably need to to take electrolyte tablets (Succeed/Hammer are 2 brands out there) during training. During a race, GUs and sports drink can help with regulating blood sugar as well as adding electrolytes to your system. I would get it out of your head that GUs are an "energy gel", as I don't believe any (or a very little insignificant amount) of the GU taken during a marathon actually makes it into your muscles for fueling. You don't need to take a GU before the race. It won't help you in any way (except mentally maybe if you really *think" it is giving you energy) and doing so may inhibit fat burning which will lead to more glycogen burn off. It's not wise to withdrawal more from the glycogen bank than needed during a marathon! I would do something like this on race morning: * Breakfast 3-4 hours before the race. Just something to top off your glycogen stores. Something like a banana/muffin/bagel. I guess whatever works for you in training if you have ever eaten breakfast beforehand. * electrolyte tablet before the start (will also help settle your stomach if you have nerves). * GU or sports drink after 45 minutes or an hour into the race. * Alternate GUs and electrolyte tablets for the rest of the race (maybe every 45 minutes depending on how much you are sweating--I think everyone is a little different here and some trial/error is in order)
      lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Shiksa, Thank you, thank you. "Eyerything I wanted to know about GU, but was afraid to ask" Keep asking great questions, and i'll tag along, and try to learn something! Ace8, That is a heck of a nice explanation. Very concise and informative. The link is also first rate. Very timely for me, as I try to get nerve to cast bread upon the water. Don't ask me what the heck that means, though. lg
        ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
        Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
        ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
        Shiksa

Thank you Ace! I just read the article, and it is very close to what I have been doing. It's always nice to know I'm on the right track. On the morning of my race, I don't plan on eating anything. It starts at 7:30 a.m. On my long run days currently, I stuff my face for dinner the night before and eat nothing before I head out. My longest run has been nearly 4 hours without a meal prior. I'm a strict "no eating except protein if I'm starving" three hours prior to a run if it is in the daytime or evening. Thank you for the electrolyte tablet tip. I didn't know those were available. I'm looking forward to trying them. The bloks and packets turn my stomach. If I take more than one whole one, I typically feel like I need a bathroom a.s.a.p. I certainly don't need that as my first marathon memory.

Stacy
          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Shiksa

Shiksa, Thank you, thank you. "Eyerything I wanted to know about GU, but was afraid to ask" Keep asking great questions, and i'll tag along, and try to learn something!
            You'll notice I'm getting more confident about asking questions I wonder about. Stick with me. I'll make an ass out myself for both of us. Big grin

Stacy

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

You'll notice I'm getting more confident about asking questions I wonder about. Stick with me. I'll make an ass out myself for both of us. Big grin
              It's often said that there is no such thing as a stupid question, 'cept I might be able to disprove that on any given day. Tongue lg
              ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
              Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
              ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
              BeeRunB

I suggest that you always hydrate on your runs, whether you are under MAF or not. It will lessen stress on the body, keep the HR down, and help performance. I drink 14-18 oz of water or plain Pedialyte (on medium and long runs) per hour. --Jimmy
                Shiksa

I drank more earlier thanks to your suggestion Jimmy. I do think I felt better farther into the mileage. I'm not sure if it is my conditioning or my hydration. I struggle with increased liquid meaning increased bathroom stop. On race day, at least I know there will be porta-potties. My training runs leave me a bit too exposed at times to just pull over when needed.

Stacy

BeeRunB

I drank more earlier thanks to your suggestion Jimmy. I do think I felt better farther into the mileage. I'm not sure if it is my conditioning or my hydration. I struggle with increased liquid meaning increased bathroom stop. On race day, at least I know there will be porta-potties. My training runs leave me a bit too exposed at times to just pull over when needed.
                    You can work with that. If you are finding you are over-peeing, then drink a little less. But hydrate! --Jimmy
                    lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

I suggest that you always hydrate on your runs, whether you are under MAF or not. It will lessen stress on the body, keep the HR down, and help performance. I drink 14-18 oz of water or plain Pedialyte (on medium and long runs) per hour. --Jimmy
                      Monday, 10/13/2008 Jimmy, This Pedialyte stuff seems real interesting. I just read a few faq from a google search. Seems pretty neat. Any advice you can offer on usage? One nice aspect seems to be the low caloric content. What's the best way to use it? Is the cost comparable to other electrolyte products? Thanks. lg
                        Solely for the sake of learning: As mentioned in the race update thread, I ate way too much and felt stuffed during the race, but I practiced with Orange GU's during my long-runs and never had any problems with them, even liking them, and planned on using them during the race. I only have the one race under my belt, so I will just let you know what I did (right and/or wrong), so feel free to throw out the bath water, because there may be no baby in there. As I read, I realize there is a difference dietary philosophy for almost every runner, so it ends up boiling down to what works for you, but: On Saturday, I did a hard workout for about 3 minutes. I warmed up for about 10 and then ran for 2:30 at a pretty hard pace (I went approx .4 miles - tough to gauge, so give or take, but the first 1/4 mile was 1:30) and then did a 30 second sprint. In theory, this depleted my glycogen or makes my body think all the glycogen will soon be gone, so it begins to act like a sponge. After this, I made sure I consumed about 12 grams of carbohydrate/kilogram. Unfortunately, I followed a diet I found for a person that was 175lbs, which is about 15 more than me, which meant I consumed too many calories and felt bloated. Yet, despite my error, *I think* (me who knows next to nothing about dieting, aside from trying to piece something together) if I had done it properly that I would've been well energized during the run, needing limited help from the GU's. So, given that and given my training with GU's, I brought 4 along with me - took one 15 minutes prior and planned on taking 1 every 45 minutes during the race. This was not necessary, b/c I was full from the previous day and had plenty of energy and grabbed some orange slices along the way. I ended up consuming 2 of the 4 I brought with me - one about an hour in and the other about 2:45 just in case. I eating more out of fear than necessity, thinking "necessity" meant it was too late. That's only FWIW, b/c there are a hundred and one caveat's behind my running advice - it is a bit anecdotal, so caveat emptor. thekman

run-easy-race-hard

Along the lines of a few of the posts here, one thing you should avoid, whether in training or racing, is taking in the carbs in the short time prior to the race. This will put your body into carb-burning mode right away and that's not what you want. If you've been doing MAF training for a while, you will be an efficient fat burner, even up at the higher heart rates. I will conjecture that disciplined MAF training really works to skew the RQ vs HR curve so that you're burning higher and higher percentages of fat (compared to before MAF training) even at HRs right up close to the anaerobic threshold. At least this is the only explanation I have as to why I can run full marathons just below AT without taking in any calories and without hitting the wall, whereas just a few years ago, I couldn't finish a 20 mile training run without gels and sports drink.
                          Shiksa

hmmmm...I can't tell if I'm enlightened or more confused. Big grin I don't take any calories at all in a long run until nearing the 2 hour point typically. Then, I tend to take a packet of something every 30-45 minutes. On my over MAF report on sunday, I reported gastrointestinal distress with shot blok and sports bean use. After ducking behind some bushes, I did take another GU roctane about 15 minutes later, and it worked very well even pepping up my legs a bit. Now, I'm not sure if I'm dependent on them or not. I have two more 20's left. I'll have to play around during them.

Stacy

Along the lines of a few of the posts here, one thing you should avoid, whether in training or racing, is taking in the carbs in the short time prior to the race. This will put your body into carb-burning mode right away and that's not what you want. If you've been doing MAF training for a while, you will be an efficient fat burner, even up at the higher heart rates. I will conjecture that disciplined MAF training really works to skew the RQ vs HR curve so that you're burning higher and higher percentages of fat (compared to before MAF training) even at HRs right up close to the anaerobic threshold. At least this is the only explanation I have as to why I can run full marathons just below AT without taking in any calories and without hitting the wall, whereas just a few years ago, I couldn't finish a 20 mile training run without gels and sports drink.
                              From a dietary standpoint, would you recommend Maffetone? I need some major transition/correction with my diet, b/c I am carb dependent, I believe, and i realize this is contrary to the Maff method, esp., as you point out, one of the goals is to become an "efficient fat burner". Do you have a general carb/fat/protein ratio you follow? Thanks.
                                hmmmm...I can't tell if I'm enlightened or more confused. Big grin I don't take any calories at all in a long run until nearing the 2 hour point typically. Then, I tend to take a packet of something every 30-45 minutes. On my over MAF report on sunday, I reported gastrointestinal distress with shot blok and sports bean use. After ducking behind some bushes, I did take another GU roctane about 15 minutes later, and it worked very well even pepping up my legs a bit. Now, I'm not sure if I'm dependent on them or not. I have two more 20's left. I'll have to play around during them.
                                In light of formationfliers post, maybe ignore my "carb loading" madness. Black eye Big grin