Low HR Training

% of HR working at maximum effort (Read 31 times)

loxleycommons

Hello

Can anyone offer any insight as to.the usefulness of he following calculation for MAF?

I.am fairly new to running and to HR training having read books by Maffetone and Mittleton. I was advised by a running coach to calculate my MAF or Level 2 as he referred to it by calculating 0.9 x the average heart rate for running as fast as I could sustain for 30 minutes after warming up for 10 mins. The focus on average heart rate was.meant to relate to the last 20 minutes of effort.

According to.this coach as heart size varies it throws out the accuracy of age based calculation such as Maffetone's 180.

He hasn't got.back.to me with this sources so this is a bit elusive but seems like it may yield.a useful figure as is related to effort. Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

http://philmaffetone.com/contact/

Hello

Can anyone offer any insight as to.the usefulness of he following calculation for MAF?

I.am fairly new to running and to HR training having read books by Maffetone and Mittleton. I was advised by a running coach to calculate my MAF or Level 2 as he referred to it by calculating 0.9 x the average heart rate for running as fast as I could sustain for 30 minutes after warming up for 10 mins. The focus on average heart rate was.meant to relate to the last 20 minutes of effort.

According to.this coach as heart size varies it throws out the accuracy of age based calculation such as Maffetone's 180.

He hasn't got.back.to me with this sources so this is a bit elusive but seems like it may yield.a useful figure as is related to effort. Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

You may want to send him an email or check his website for a forum.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Sounds complicated, Loxely.  The MAF formula will put you in the right ballpark that will keep you working mostly aerobically. Though not perfect in determining the exact heart rate at which the anaerobic system and fibers begins to engage, it's close enough. The main point of MAF training anyway is to stay healthy, and working 95% of your volume at those efforts will increase the probability of better health, and decrease the probability of injury, over-training, and sicknesses do to too much training load.

AlexVan

Hi there if you want to follow maffetone/Middleton you might want to find a different coach, Smile you coaches suggestions come from a different belief system which may work for some people but not most of the health focused group here. How do you feel running based on his suggestion vs MAF? As middleman suggests learn to trust yourself. Best of luck -alex

This Sounds like Joe Friel approach and might be useful even if you are training almost exclusively aerobically to determine if MAF formula works for you.  Dr Maffatone created formula based on his observations of his clients as an easy place to get started.  In practice he would observe his clients running and correlate HR data with the quality of their movement and their overall health and stress level to determine best training pace for the individual.  You can try Lactate Threshold field test and see how it correlates with 180-age (with other adjustments)

Warm up do 30 minute time trial on your own and take HR average for only last 20 minutes and it will give you good estimate of your Lactate Threshold (LTHR) and you calculate your zones as follows.

Zone 1 Less than 85% of LTHR
            Zone 2 85% to 89% of LTHR
            Zone 3 90% to 94% of LTHR
            Zone 4 95% to 99% of LTHR
            Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
            Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
            Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR

MAF will likely be high zone 1 or low zone 2.

good luck with your Training!

search Joe Friel heart rate zones for more info