Low HR Training

Off Topic: Someone Tell Me I'm Ok (Read 450 times)

I know this is not heart rate related, but I trust this group. Someone tell me that with 2.5 weeks to go to my marathon, it's ok that I'm SICK of running. I've asked a few friends, and they tell me yes, it's ok. I just need another opinion. I don't like going out for a run at this point, although I'm still pumped about the marathon. I don't want to run alone any more, and I don't want to run at 5:00 AM any more. So, I'm ok right? It's ok to be sick of running after 5+ months of training for one race, right?? Thanks in advance,
    Shiksa

It is totally ok IMO. I was tired of training for my 1/2. I'm just now feeling the running love again after cutting down my mileage significantly in the last 2.5 weeks. You'll get your groove back. Consider it a temporary thing. No one says we have to drive ourselves hard forever. Fitness is for a lifetime. Take care!

Stacy
      I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

GMoney

I'm a relative newbie to this board, but I'll jump in here to get things rolling. Apologies in advance if I'm violating forum protocol with any of this advice. Since it's (somewhat) off topic I feel I've got a little cover... You write that you're not enthusiastic about daily running, but how do you feel about your marathon? Still looking forward to it? Dreading it? Ambivalent? If you're still looking forward to your marathon then don't worry about not wanting to get out for a run daily. Run when you feel good and are looking forward to it. There's not much you can do with 2-1/2 weeks to go to improve your conditioning, so rest up and let your edge get sharp again. You might be surprised what a few days of vacation from your second job will do for your outlook and attitude. If you're down in the dumps about the entire endeavor then it's a tougher nut to crack. I won't give you an easy pep talk about not walking away from months of hard work. Postponing gratification (in the form of a quality race) for 5 months is very difficult. Start by taking a couple (or maybe four or five) days off - no running and no other exericse that might injure you or set you back from your marathon fitness. Take some time to think about what it was that got you wanting to run the marathon in the first place and whether that motivation is still relevant to you now. You might find it's not, and if that's the case they don't feel any shame from walking away. Life's long and there's a lot of opportunities to do 26.2. Hopefully though, time off and some thought will rekindle your desire and get you in the right frame of mind to go for it on race day. Remember, too, that you don't have to make a fiinal decision on what to do until race morning. If you're registered for the race go get your packet and see how the pre-race vibe makes you feel. Don't feel any pressure to run or not until you wake up the morning of the marathon. So if it's not clear, I don't think there's any problem with not wanting to run as you get close to your marathon goal. What's important is trying to figure out why you're feeling that way and addressing the root cause.
          Hey Cf Yep most definitely normal. It happens, the challenge is how you respond. Think of it like this - when you reach mile 23 or 24 of your actual marathon your body (and probably your mind) will be SICK of running then. Do you just give up and pull out of the race, or finish off as strong as you can? You're just at mile 24 in your training at the moment. The body, and it sounds even more like the mind, has had enough. The good thing is now you're probably tapering so the hard work is done, just put in the few final sessions. You'll be fine mate, you've worked so hard. Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

BeeRunB

I know this is not heart rate related, but I trust this group. Someone tell me that with 2.5 weeks to go to my marathon, it's ok that I'm SICK of running. I've asked a few friends, and they tell me yes, it's ok. I just need another opinion. I don't like going out for a run at this point, although I'm still pumped about the marathon. I don't want to run alone any more, and I don't want to run at 5:00 AM any more. So, I'm ok right?
            Yes it's okay to feel sick of running. Happens on occasion. Although that can be a sign off overtraining as well. You just did 61 miles in 8 days with two 20-milers, which seems to eclipse any amount you've done by a lot. All that could do it. Your body and mind are one. There is no separation. If your body is sick and tired of it, your mind probably will be as well. Get some rest, take it easy, taper. --Jimmy
              Ok, I'm going to try to answer everyone at once here. First, I am still excited about the marathon. I've been reviewing the course, and comparing it to what I ran this weekend. I'm looking forward to the challenge and to running the best debut marathon that I can. I think at this point, I'm more mentally tired of having to run, if that makes sense. Last night was supposed to be an 8 miler. It was 75 degrees, I'm still tired from the 20 this weekend, and I just didn't have "it." So, at about 2.5, I asked my partner if we could just modify the session into a good walk. We went about another 2 or so miles. So, I got 4 or 5 in, just not all running. As for getting to mile 23 - 24 and being tired. Yes, I know this will happen, but at that point I will be in competition mode. Now, that competition will be with myself, but still thats the mode. I will not quit on race day. As my grandmother always used to say, "You're not stubborn, you're determined." Our taper officially starts on Sunday, so I'm just outside the taper window. We have one last "long" run this weekend, a 12 or 18 miler. Since I just finished back to back 20's, I'm thinking 12 or maybe 15. But, no way I do the 20. I really think the majority of the issue is the back to back 20's. My body is strong at this point. My mind needs the taper, and I need to feel the itch to run again. From what I understand, the taper covers two bases. First is allowing the body to regenerate from all the long runs and tempo runs. The second is the mental aspect. By the time the race hits, my body and mind should just be chomping at the bit to go out for a good long run. Thanks for the replies and the reassurance folks.
              C-R

CfKid, First - good luck on the marathon. You should do well as you put in the work. Second - we all get sick of running at times. Like Jimmy says it is just a combo of body and mind giving you hints. Third - training properly for a marathon is hard and takes its toll. I've done it properly and I've skimped. Paid the price for skimping and won't do it again. The positive - you've kept lacing up your shoes and kep going. Lots of people quit when it gets tough. You didn't and that a good focal point. I was with you on the lack of motivation last weekend, but I laced 'em up, got on the road (track in this case) and after about a mile got into a rhythm, focused on my HR and form, and the next thing you know I hit 13 miles and only had one more to go. Okay - enough of the Dr. Phil and Anthony Robins stuff from me. I'm no motivational speaker and did not stay in a Holiday Inn express last night. We all need a nudge every now and then so you're as normal as the rest of us. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

For some strange reason with 1-1.5 weeks of my marathons I always wonder why I am doing this, because for some strange reasons there is always a 3-4 day period where 1. I feel like cr*p and 2. the mind plays tricks on you..... However, when the marathon comes you'll enjoy running again and will want to do another...
                    Okay - enough of the Dr. Phil and Anthony Robins stuff from me. I'm no motivational speaker and did not stay in a Holiday Inn express last night. We all need a nudge every now and then so you're as normal as the rest of us. Big grin
                    Normal is a word, too bad it has never been applied to me. Good luck in Indy, that's the day before mine...
                    C-R

Normal is a word, too bad it has never been applied to me. Good luck in Indy, that's the day before mine...
                      Thanks. I'm still in base mode so I'm supposed to run at or below MAF. I think I can make it in less than 2 without breaking my MAF. We'll see.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Ok, I'm going to try to answer everyone at once here. First, I am still excited about the marathon. I've been reviewing the course, and comparing it to what I ran this weekend. I'm looking forward to the challenge and to running the best debut marathon that I can. I think at this point, I'm more mentally tired of having to run, if that makes sense. Last night was supposed to be an 8 miler. It was 75 degrees, I'm still tired from the 20 this weekend, and I just didn't have "it." So, at about 2.5, I asked my partner if we could just modify the session into a good walk. We went about another 2 or so miles. So, I got 4 or 5 in, just not all running. As for getting to mile 23 - 24 and being tired. Yes, I know this will happen, but at that point I will be in competition mode. Now, that competition will be with myself, but still thats the mode. I will not quit on race day. As my grandmother always used to say, "You're not stubborn, you're determined." Our taper officially starts on Sunday, so I'm just outside the taper window. We have one last "long" run this weekend, a 12 or 18 miler. Since I just finished back to back 20's, I'm thinking 12 or maybe 15. But, no way I do the 20. I really think the majority of the issue is the back to back 20's. My body is strong at this point. My mind needs the taper, and I need to feel the itch to run again. From what I understand, the taper covers two bases. First is allowing the body to regenerate from all the long runs and tempo runs. The second is the mental aspect. By the time the race hits, my body and mind should just be chomping at the bit to go out for a good long run. Thanks for the replies and the reassurance folks.
                        You're doing awesome, Mark. It's AMAZING what you have done in the past few months. Back to back 20's is not easy to do , mentally or physically. The more you do high volume over time, the faster you'll be able to recover, and you'll be able to handle those occasional back-to-back 20's (look what Jesse can handle these days--back to back in consecutive days) without a problem. It seems like you handled these just fine, but your body is telling you something. You probably came in just under the limit so-to-speak for this particular time in your development. I'm not sure what your taper is, but if your marathon is on the 4th, then you did your last 20 three weeks out, which is good. That'll leave you time for recovery. There is no no need to do an 18-miler two weeks out. No need to run over two hours really from here on in. You won't get any fitter than you are now. It is the tapered rest that will get you what you need. The taper for my 2006 marathon PR (3:22) had nothing over 12 miles. My last 20 was 3 weeks out. I had a pretty good run. I did one 14-miler in my 2005 PR (3:28) with the rest 10 and below. My last 20 was 3 weeks out. I did nothing over 10 for Sugarloaf in 2006 (3:30). My last 20 was 3 weeks out. All pretty good runs. (My training mistake for Sugarloaf was running The Boston Marathon 5 weeks out--proved to myself that 26.2 as a training run does more harm than good--I felt a bit off in that race). Do what you have you have to do. Just suggestions. You want to get there refreshed. --Jimmy
                          The taper for my 2006 marathon PR (3:22) had nothing over 12 miles. My last 20 was 3 weeks out. I had a pretty good run. I did one 14-miler in my 2005 PR (3:28) with the rest 10 and below. My last 20 was 3 weeks out. I did nothing over 10 for Sugarloaf in 2006 (3:30). My last 20 was 3 weeks out. All pretty good runs. (My training mistake for Sugarloaf was running The Boston Marathon 5 weeks out--proved to myself that 26.2 as a training run does more harm than good--I felt a bit off in that race). Do what you have you have to do. Just suggestions. You want to get there refreshed. --Jimmy
                          Exactly my thought at this point. I'm going to do what I need to do. Maybe an easy 3 or 4 tomorrow, run the 12 on Sat, and then easy low mileage for the taper. It's easy to second guess at this point, because there is so much invested in time, energy, and basically my life. So the feedback from the more experienced in the group really makes me feel better. I guess I'm going to have to change the title of my blog in a few weeks.... Maybe a CF Patient's Journey to Qualifying for Boston.... (That one will last for a while!!!)