Low HR Training

My 12 weeks base MAF (Read 536 times)

trustme

Hi everyone, This is my first post here and I want to share my results of 12 weeks of LHR training that I just completed today. Some background stuff, been running for 4 years. Every run was a speed work, even the LSD was done with maximum effort. Did 3 marathons with PR 4:31. I came across this forum and immediately I was hooked with this new slow speed training. No way, I said, but I was curious as it worked for many folks here. So I determined my MAF = 141 and did all the run diligently below that HR. I did the MAF test at the beginning of 5 miles round the running track and then every week at the same time of the day. I feel so much better after each and every run, no more burned out. Well, now is at the end of the 12 weeks and my MAF test are below. There are some progress... I think. Like to hear what you think and how I should proceed from here. Many thanks. Week....1........2........3........4........5........6........7........8........9........10........11........12 Mile 1....10:36..10:24...10:03..10:19..10:07...10:08...10:10...9:52...09:36....09:35....09:45....09:28 Mile 2....10:53..10:29...10:11..10:24..10:08...10:17...10:16...9:56...09:39....09:56....09:53....09:48 Mile 3....11:15..10:44...10:31..10:32..10:25...10:31...10:16..10:05..10:00....10:01....10:01.....09:55 Mile 4....11:19..10:49...10:39..10:41..10:37...10:32...10:22..10:19..10:17....10:09....10:08....10:02 Mile 5....11:33..10:53...10:47..10:43..10:40...10:35...10:25..10:23..10:20....10:17....10:09....10:08
      There are some progress... I think.
      You think? Smile Those look like great results. I am not sure if it is even typical to have such great improvement in just 12 weeks. I am curious about how much mileage you were doing per week and at what pace did you have to run it at. Did you do all your running just below MAF or well below MAF? Did you build up gradually to MAF in your runs? Your MAF times really look like you have the potential of blowing away your marathon PR. Also, I am curious about how much warmup you did before the maf test and what HR did you typicaly warmup with. Were the weather conditions similar from week to week. What time of day was it? I am just really curious, because it is not often that you get to see such good data and results from someone over a 12 week period, who was really consistant with their maf tests like you were. Thanks
      BeeRunB

You are progressing nicely. Where you go from here depends on your running lifestyle. 12-16 weeks is a good base period. You can either continue the pure MAF training until you plateau and then start racing, or begin your race season now or in 4 weeks, if that's what you do. See if your race times improve. Keep track of your MAF tests, when they start to get worse, get back to a base period. Congrats on some good work. --Jimmy
        Kenny B.

I am starting a 12 week MAf program right after this years Philly Marathon. From what I know your improvements are excellent. I was feeling very uncertain about doing this but no longer. Thanks for sharing.
          "A true master is not suffering, but simply experiencing a set of circumstance that you call insufferable."
          trustme

You think? Smile Those look like great results. I am not sure if it is even typical to have such great improvement in just 12 weeks. I am curious about how much mileage you were doing per week and at what pace did you have to run it at. Did you do all your running just below MAF or well below MAF? Did you build up gradually to MAF in your runs? Your MAF times really look like you have the potential of blowing away your marathon PR. Also, I am curious about how much warmup you did before the maf test and what HR did you typicaly warmup with. Were the weather conditions similar from week to week. What time of day was it? I am just really curious, because it is not often that you get to see such good data and results from someone over a 12 week period, who was really consistant with their maf tests like you were. Thanks
            Thanks! I was surprised myself that it started quite well for me, I didn't need to walk to keep the HR down from the start. The slow jogging pace was sufficient to keep it below 141. To answer some of your questions. My average mileage is 60 mpw, the first week I clocked 45 miles and ramped up slowed to about 76 mpw now. I didn't focus on the distance I am covering during the normal run, my aim was just on keeping the HR below MAF. I did ALL the run below MAF, 136-141, of course, sometime it will go over 141, which then I will slow down to keep it to about 136, I tried to keep it between 5 beats. It was tough at the beginning but not much problem now. I do feel moving very slow at the end of a long 22 miles run, probably right at walking pace, 13-14 min. MAF test, I would warm up with a 1 miles slow run (about 12-14 mins) to bring the HR to MAF-2 and then start the MAF test. The temperature is fairly constant throughout the 12 weeks and I did the MAF test in the evening at 7pm. HR is kept between 136-141, but i tried to bring it as near to MAF as possible. Thanks Jimmy and God for the encouraging words....I think I shall continue MAFFing for another 8 weeks.
            gregw

Were these runs outside or on a treadmill? 12 weeks ago summer was in full swing.
              RER

Hi everyone, This is my first post here and I want to share my results of 12 weeks of LHR training that I just completed today. Some background stuff, been running for 4 years. Every run was a speed work, even the LSD was done with maximum effort. Did 3 marathons with PR 4:31. I came across this forum and immediately I was hooked with this new slow speed training. No way, I said, but I was curious as it worked for many folks here. So I determined my MAF = 141 and did all the run diligently below that HR. I did the MAF test at the beginning of 5 miles round the running track and then every week at the same time of the day. I feel so much better after each and every run, no more burned out. Well, now is at the end of the 12 weeks and my MAF test are below. There are some progress... I think. Like to hear what you think and how I should proceed from here. Many thanks....
                This is just how it goes when done correctly. Well done. For those going through periods of SLOWING, it means something is wrong. Trust me...