Low HR Training

Adding an anaerobic session each week - thoughts? (Read 362 times)

Hi all, I have been doing LHR training since Jan this year and have been very strict about it. I have only done two anaerobic training sessions since then, and one 14km race. I've kept under my MAF and have been trying to slowly but steadily increase miles. I've been a little dodgy in that I don't warm up or down properly (due to time constraints) but otherwise have ticked all the boxes - kept hydrated, not eaten before runs etc etc. I haven't done MAF tests cuz there's nowhere suitable near me to do them and also I've been a little afraid. I've enjoyed running MAF-style, as it's helped me enjoy running, not exhaust myself and remain uninjured. However, I don't really feel like I'm progressing in terms of speed. I know you're all going to ask for heaps of minor details. Look at my log. You'll see that I start off really slow in Jan - this is because it was super hot and super hilly where I was running on holidays, then improve to around 7:45 to 8:00 min km, then my times blow out - I tried warming up and down and included this in my overall times - then give up on the warming up/down and go back to around 8:20min km. I seem stuck here. I'm wondering if after four months of exclusively LHR training, I should throw in one anaerobic session per week. I know you're all going to say no, but I need to hear someone else say it.... Confused
      My few cents... If you want to stay in MAF-only then the answer is ... down hills. Also, fast pace, in MAF, short runs and low pace, MAF-5-10, long runs can also give your body positive variety. Or you can try MAF-intervals. Also2, try to make a distinctive difference between your normal runs and long runs. Try 2 2.5-3M runs, 1-2 4-5M and 1 6+M run per week. When you increase your mileage, try to increase the mileage of the long run. I think Jimmy uploaded a good Mileage Increase Chart few weeks ago. It is not the total mileage increase per week that is most important. Most important is that your long run steadily, and healthily, increase in distance. Normal runs can be short. Main point is to try to give your legs different kind of stimulus.
        Thanks for the feedback. I've actually just started Jimmy's increase program, but am only up to about week 4! The problem is that I run in the early mornings around my neighbourhood which is fairly flat. Perhaps I need to do a few circuits of the one or two hills nearby.
          Hills are the essence of MAFfing. I do not say that my courses are ideal, but I tried to form courses that cause tempo changes often enough. This has gave me quite nice improvement, especially during last few weeks. You can check the profiles of my 5M and 7M courses, as follows. 5M http://www.runningahead.com/maps/1acf96e11e724f48b37e7874abface64 7M http://www.runningahead.com/maps/09f717fcf7554e8597b8a9867ed227b7 Good luck for your hill hunting!
          BeeRunB

Hi Kate, You've been at it since January. That's 4 months of almost pure MAF training (you've had some anaerobic work). I looked at your log, and your weekly training load is kind of low and is probably why you haven't seen more progress in your training times. 14-17 miles per week is very low mileage. Plus, I see nothing resembling a long run. Remember that what you are doing with MAF training is building aerobic endurance. I believe you need to give your body increasing (slowly) amounts of training load to endure in order to do this. The Low HR part is just part of it. You can do without hills if you live in a flat place. Just increase your load, and that means a bit more time on your feet. Get there slowly. No need to run more than 2 hours 2-3 times per week. Eventually, when you feel your ready, you can exceed the 2 hour run and build to a long run of 3:00 but be careful. That being said, running is also supposed to be fun. I see nothing wrong with you choosing to do a race season. If racing is why you are doing low HR training, then by all means go have some fun. Perhaps keep in between mileage below MAF. I always encourage people to experiment, but to do so with the utmost consciousness you can muster. Keep track of data, know why and what you are trying to do, and see each experiment through. There are some that do the 12 week base period, then race the rest of the year, keeping all training miles as MAF training. The races are their speedwork. Some will mix it up during this time, then get back to a base period when they see their MAF tests have gone into the pooper. If you want to do an "anaerobic" session every week, just know why you are doing it, keep track, and see the experiment through. I think it's easy to get religious about MAF--gotta be pure, gotta be pure--and "anaerobic" almost becomes the forbidden fruit. It's not. Just be conscious. Last suggestion: do MAF tests in whatever stage you find yourself. Good way to keep track of your aerobic fitness and speed. I wish you all the best. --Jimmy
              Why not stay with your MAF training and just throw some strides in to work on your running economy since most of your runs are flat? This will help your running economy and it won't be a constant anaerobic workout so you won't be stressing your body too much. I do strides once a week on a flat course and it really makes a difference for me.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                Jimmy - you are right about the low mileage. I'm trying to build up (my goal is a half marathon in October) but as I have to leave for work at 7:20am I'm getting up around 5:30am as it is to fit my runs in! I was kind of hoping I'd get faster and therefore could run further in the same time. In answer to your suggestions: - Hills - How far do you need to climb? I did three laps of a small hill (20m rise) this morning - is this enough to make a difference or is it just laughable? Tongue - Strides - Can you explain exactly what you mean? Is this just when you run faster every once and a while? If so how far over MAF should I go? Thanks for all your good advice so far!
                  Hi there Kate I know its not the ideal answer but it certainly worked for me - gradually increase your distances and then your pace picks up, particularly on your shorter runs. I also know the time constraints, particularly with it been dark so early after work now and cold in the mornings but I can only second the advie here and be the proof that it has worked for me. As for hills, I think A7Son7 said it - downhill is really important for building speed when running at MAF. Looking at your log there are plenty of good hills for running around your area - warrigal rd is one big hilly place up and down, a few spots on burke rd can be quite hilly, nice long slow decents which are just what you're after. Hope that is some help Hank (fellow melbournite)

Just running for the fun of it!

- Strides - Can you explain exactly what you mean? Is this just when you run faster every once and a while? If so how far over MAF should I go? Thanks for all your good advice so far!
                    When I do strides, I don't go any certain number over MAF, what I do is one stride for every mile after my warmup. I'll run .9 of the mile at or below my MAF and then for the last .10 of the mile I pick it up to about 10k pace/feel, then I do a short walk to recover. Wash, rinse, repeat. So if I do a 10 mile run, I will do around 8 strides of .10 mile in length each. I don't do any strides on the first mile because that is my warmup or the last mile becuase that is the cooldown. If I'm having a particularly good day, I may do one stride for .05 of a mile every half mile so I double the amount that I do but not the distance that I do them for. Hope that makes sense.
                    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09