Low HR Training

1/2 marathon - should I or not? (Read 221 times)

C-R

Ok - here's the question for the experts. I am running a HM this weekend and three weekends from now. I do not plan to race as I am building base (currently at week 6) and plan to continue base building to 12 or 16 weeks. My real goal is a full this fall. My MAF is 138 and I have been true to this. What would be the effects on my base building if I ran my avg HR to 143 for these two HMs? Would I do any damage to my base build (like setting it back two or three weeks)? The reason I picked 143 is that this would be MAF + 5 which would be a starting point if I were in great shape. Comments or snide remarks welcome. Thanks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I am not an expert, but the experts will probably say the effect of exceeding your MAF a little may or may not be a setback at week 6 or basebuilding. It depends on the person and their level of fitness. You are not running for time, so ask yourself why it matters if you run at 138 or 143. Do what's fun and satisfying for you, which may be staying strict or maybe it is cheating a little to run a little faster with a friend you will not keep up with at a 138 HR.
        Ok - here's the question for the experts. I am running a HM this weekend and three weekends from now. I do not plan to race as I am building base (currently at week 6) and plan to continue base building to 12 or 16 weeks. My real goal is a full this fall. My MAF is 138 and I have been true to this. What would be the effects on my base building if I ran my avg HR to 143 for these two HMs? Would I do any damage to my base build (like setting it back two or three weeks)? The reason I picked 143 is that this would be MAF + 5 which would be a starting point if I were in great shape. Comments or snide remarks welcome. Thanks.
        You should be fine. One run at MAF +5 is likely going to do no harm. Enjoy the race, and let us know how it goes. Smile