Low HR Training

ever seen a jump like this? (Read 296 times)

gregw

After a 10 November and three weeks of ellipticaling, I stubbornly stuck to those 9 min/mi miles that came so easy before, but then I read Ron Daws's Running Your Best book that I got for Christmas and decided to go into the "build to target mileage" phase unconcerned with pace or getting in a long run, focusing on weekly mileage totals while staying healthy. I approached it like I did it before -- with HRM-imposed slowness. Here's how the weeks have gone (I'm 36 with a 200 bpm max): injured on 10 Nov Week of 12 Nov: 0.2 miles running, 7h52m elliptical, 33 min bike, 144 bpm avg hr Week of 19 Nov: 7h21m elliptical, 141 bpm avg Week of 26 Nov: 8h22m elliptical, 142 bpm avg Week of 3 Dec: 40.0 miles; 6h1m; 9:02 min/mi avg; 147 bpm avg Week of 10 Dec: 33.8 miles, 4h58m, 8:49 pace, 148 bpm avg Week of 17 Dec: 40 miles, 7h52m, 9:31 pace, 140 bpm avg Week of 24 Dec: 47.6 miles, 7h13m, 9:06 min/mi, 144 bpm avg Week of 31 Dec: 66 miles, 9:25 min/mi, 143 bpm average So far this week (5 days): 50.4 miles, 9:30 min/mi, 134 bpm avg The thing that shocked me was going from 143 to 134 bpm at about the same pace. I did most of the 5 days out in San Diego instead of northern VA, but they're both at sea level and my routes were actually much hillier out there. I also measured the routes with my FR305, so I'm pretty sure the distances are accurate and the routes look right on the map.

run-easy-race-hard

Compare the elevation gain on each run. That will make a significant difference. My pace in Houston is 1 min/mile faster than it is around here.
      gregw

+1882 feet over 50 miles so far this week versus +2008 feet over 66 miles last week.

run-easy-race-hard

Ok, first, you should be making the comparison run-by-run, and second, are you using the motionbased gravity correction (or similar) to fix the elevations? I'd be curious to see the links to your data to compare if you would email them to me.
          gregw

Ok, first, you should be making the comparison run-by-run, and second, are you using the motionbased gravity correction (or similar) to fix the elevations? I'd be curious to see the links to your data to compare if you would email them to me.
            One of the things I seriously miss in going from the Suunto T6 to the FR305 is the T6's barometric altimeter. That things was great. You could go upstairs and see it increase 3 meters. Except for some drift because of weather is was damn near perfect. Anyway, I did the whole motionbased gravity thingy and the elevation isn't that different. I'm pretty sure, having been there, that my San Diego runs were hillier Smile Anyway, what did surprise me was how motionbased changed my average heart rate. Now there's not as much different. It seems to be taking a median and the drop is only from the upper 130's to the lower 130's. Maybe I had less HRM "wonkiness" (early high heart rates) in San Diego and that lowered the average more than the median. I'll just run and not think too much. Smile