Low HR Training

Losing the Blubber...cooling the core... (Read 2314 times)

jdazzle

Monday weigh in (Week 7)

176.2 lbs (start 184.8 lbs)

Up 0.2 from last week, not overly worried.  Fueling for the tri this weekend, will get back on the horse starting next week.  ~20 away from my goal in September.  If I get 10 of that, I'll be happy.

Ran_On_Empty

June 21

Wt. 205

Ate well over fathersday wknd. Nuf said.  I think my body needed some time off.  4 weeks should do it. Ran once last wk.  Ate lots of carbs. 

BeeRunB

Weigh-In

After 9 weeks

June 21   (start April 19)

176 lbs.  (start 184 lbs.)

waist 38.88"  (start 42")

neck 15"  (start 15")

body fat  25.8% (start 31%) calculator

fat lbs. 45.41  (start 57.04 lbs.)  loss=11.63 lbs. of lard

lean lbs. 130.59 (start 126.96)  gain=3.63 ibs. of boof

Net weight loss= 8 lbs.

No change this week. I increased eating before

the 10k race. I wanted to be topped off

on energy, as I felt a bit weak in my first

race. I'm back on the dieting this week.

I have one race left, and will also go off

diet 3-4 dyas before that one. Once I enter the upcoming

base phase, I'll be consistent for at least 12-weeks.

--Jimmy

jdazzle

Monday weigh in (Week 8)

177.8 lbs (start 184.8 lbs)

Fueled for my tri over the weekend, enjoyed a few too many beers at yesterday's soccer match (go Philadelphia Union!).  Back on the horse this week, no big races for a month.

jdazzle

Monday weigh in (Week 9)

176.6 lbs (start 184.8 lbs)

A 1.2 drop from last week, but still need to refocus since i think the gain was just water anyway.  trying to get to 170 by the end of July...

gregw

4/21 - 164

7/4 - 156.4

I 've been 156-157 for about a month now.  Why'd I have to set 155 as a goal? Smile

All I did was cut out sugar and ate what I want.  My mileage has been down about 10mpw due to a new job and a lack of desire to run in the #@$# heat, but I'm still down 7 pounds.  I think/hope that I can figure a way to get that 10mpw back and drop a few more.  I can't wait for summer to end and try out my new, slimmer self in a race.

BeeRunB

Weigh-In

July 5   (start April 19)
                173 lbs.  (start 184 lbs.)
                waist 38.5"  (start 42")
                neck 15"  (start 15")
                body fat  25.3% (start 31%)
                fat lbs. 43.77  (start 57.04 lbs.)  loss=13.27 lbs. of lard
                lean lbs. 129.23 (start 126.96)  gain=2.27 ibs. of boof

Net weight loss= 11 lbs.

Sinking to the bottom a little easier.

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

Weigh-In

July 21   (start April 19)
                  166 lbs.  (start 184 lbs.)
                  waist 37.5"  (start 42")
                  neck 15"  (start 15")
                  body fat  23.7% (start 31%)
                  fat lbs. 39.34  (start 57.04 lbs.)  loss=17.70 lbs. of lard
                  lean lbs. 126.66 (start 126.96)  loss=.30 ibs. of boof

Net weight loss= 18 lbs.

Lost 7 pounds in 2-3 weeks. Too fast. Some muscle loss.

4 week period of very high stress. Running and Eating were not of high priority.

Both weight and aerobic fitness affected.

The stress is diminishing.

--Jimmy

gregw

Weighed in tonight at (drum roll, please) 155.4 lbs.  It was probably a fluctuation but my goal was 155, so how cool is to see 155 on a scale?
                      Weighed in tonight at (drum roll, please) 155.4 lbs.  It was probably a fluctuation but my goal was 155, so how cool is to see 155 on a scale?

This struck me as funny to see how this is a sport where being smaller and lighter is an advantage. 

When I was around 190 pounds, I did a lot of reading online and was disappointed to come accross something that said that any runner over 180 pounds would be considered a "heavy" runner.  They were referring to running shoes, and things like that with that reference.  They were implying that a "heavy" runner might consider a more cushioned shoe, etc. 

Well, I finally was able to get to about 178 pounds last year, and was thrilled.  And I have maintained it.  So, I can relate to your being so pleased.  So, now that I am 178 pounds (no longer over 180), I guess I am no longer a "heavy" runner anymore????   Just like they have age grading, they probably should have weight grading too, for us bigger runners.

I have to admit, when I read about others who are in this weight class or lighter, I am a bit envious.  It really makes a difference.  Especially some of the woman who are like a hundred and ten pounds.  Just a lot less weight on the joints.

Added:

Oh, and losing just that 10 pounds for me made a huge difference to my running.  I noticed it mostly running down hills.  I no longer felt like I was trying to control a runaway freight train going down the hill.   Instead, I felt lighter on my feet and able to run a much smoother, and under control stride down the hills.  I also found that the "gain of 2 seconds per mile per pound" applied to me.  I gained about a minute in my 5k time overall.

jdazzle

Sunday weigh in (Week ?)

174.2 lbs (start 184.8 lbs)

Crossed the 10lb mark, now am kinda stuck.  I think my stress level needs to be reduced in order to refocus on diet...

gregw

Weight has a huge impact. It's not just absolute weight though. I'm only 5'9'' and have a small frame, so 155 isn't really super thin. I once met Alan Webb and we're basically the same height. At the time, he was consider a heavy, muscular runner (he run 800/1500) and weighed about 145 I think. I weighed 138 my freshman year of college and while I have no illusions of ever getting there, that's probably about my ideal running weight. In fact, in a health class I took, my body fat% didn't even make it in the excellent category! I've heard (and this seems right to me) that the effect is roughly linear for small weight changes (this is fat loss only of course!). I.e., a 1% loss of body mass (in fat) will result in a 1% improvement in pace.
                          BeeRunB

Weigh-In

Aug 3   (start April 19)
                            162 lbs.  (start 184 lbs.)
                            waist 36.25"  (start 42")
                            neck 15"  (start 15")
                            body fat  21.6% (start 31%)
                            fat lbs. 34.99  (start 57.04 lbs.)  loss=22.05 lbs. of lard
                            lean lbs. 127.01 (start 126.96) gain=.05 ibs. of boof

Net weight loss= 22 lbs.

Ave weight loss per week for 15 weeks=1.46 lbs.

Looking thinner. On the back end of a stressful time. I managed to slow the weight loss

down and am back to a nice average. During that time, I went into some

kind of survival mode, and felt I couldn't put any junk into

my body. Subsequently, I am now off caffeine and sugar. My diet has switched

to about 70% fruit, raw  and cooked veggies, with the rest whole grains and

fish, poultry and egg, and olive oil for fat. So, I'm not even trying to lose weight now.

I'm not counting calories at all, and it's just slipping off.

I've been managing 4-5 runs per week afte a lot of time off. Subsequently,

the muscle loss has stopped. It's going to be a few months before I

see the benefits of the fat loss, as I was knocked back a few pegs in fitness.

Keep going, everyone. Enjoy your life!

--Jimmy

gregw

22 lbs?  Way to go Jimmy!
                              gregw

Our scale broke 2 days before I went on vacation and my last reading was 156 on 5 August.  I was a bit worried I might have gained weight, so I stopped by the gym at work.  The first scale I stepped on said 152.0 (digital) and I thought that couldn't be right.  There was another scale, a doctor's scaled, and it said 152.5.  Holy cow.  I'm down 9 pounds since I ran 40:02 for 10k.  Unfortunately I'm down from ~65 to 50 mpw also, but I'm still hopeful I'll crush 40 minutes.  I never thought I'd lose this weight, but it's been easy.