Low HR Training

"Anaerobic" Phase HRT (over MAF) Reports & Discussion (Read 6049 times)

BeeRunB

1/22/08 12 miles 9:45pace
    BeeRunB

Thanks for the advice! And good advice it is...however knowing me I'll try to hit 7:25 on the first mile. Not any faster, but not much slower. Then again, slowing down a bit can help me from wasting so much energy dodging the people who go out at 7:30 when their pace is really more like 9:00....I LOVE those people. Roll eyes Tomorrow I'm doing either 4x1600 or 5x1600. I see how my legs feel as to whether I do the 5th one. It would be my only track workout before the marathon. Just a few more short tempo's and some MP miles after that. I'm trying to work in a bit more marathon pace miles for this attempt. I figure 2700 miles in 2007, most of them below MAF, gives me the right. Or at least that's how I'm justifying it. Tongue
      2700 miles! Nice.
        You want some company. I've scraped using Daniels A-Plan for Boston due to the fact of a nagging hamstring problem, so I want to avoid the track. What I'll be doing is adding some MP pace segments (keep my HR under 88% Max during segment) while running the rest at or below MAF. This most likely will be in runs of lengths of 17-22 miles. I'll also throw in two runs with a segment of 13 miles at MP and 15 miles at MP. Segments will vary from 6,8,10,12 miles. My midweek run will have increasing segments at Tempo pace (Keep Max HR under 92%) where the segments will either be 4,5,6,7 or 8 miles (I'm going to do two 5-week segments going up from 4 to 8 then back down from 8 to 4.) At the end of the 10th week I have a half which is three weeks out from Boston. This Tempo segment will be in the middle of a 15 mile run with all the rest of the miles during the run at MAF or below. The rest of the week will be filled in with MAF runs to make up mileage which I hope to keep between 70-80 mpw. My MAF is 145, my MHR is probably 185-186ish (saw 185 at end of 5k in summer). So my MP HRMax will be 163 and my Tempo HRMax will be 171. Since I haven't run that fast due to hammy for the past couple of weeks my legs are a little sluggish. On Tuessday, I ran 2.71 miles at what I hoped to be MP HRMax in the middle of an 11 mile run. I found it hard to run fast due to the leg so only managed 7:45/mile for the 2.71 miles @ AvgHR of 158 (85% Max). Before I start my segments (both MP and T) I run 4.5 miles at MAF. For Tuesdays run I ran it 9:05/mile @ AvgHR 136. Closed out run with 3.8mi @ 8:55/mile AvgHR 145. Today's run was the 4 mile Tempo Segment in the middle of a 15 mile run. Ran first 4.5mi @ 8:58/mile AvgHR 134. 4 mile tempo was in 7:15/mile AvgHR 163 (88% HRMax). Could have ran faster, but still unsure of the leg. Would have liked to averaged 90% HRMax (167) on the run. Finished off with 6.5mi @ 8:39/mi AvgHR 144.
        lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

What rhymes with Saw Palmetto Confused Sure I was up at 3:30 am........ Into my asics and out the door, mile after mile it's never a chore a rooster awakens, seemingly forlorn, Yet suddenly, doodles, to bring in the Dawn LG1, not serious, knock on woody Cool .........."Rigoletto" ?
          ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
          Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
          ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
          BeeRunB

TODAY'S RUN 1/25/08 treadmill 1% base incline 62º/35% humidity 20 miles 9:48 ave pace
            lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

During an excellent Coast To Coast radio show with Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger talking about the Doors and Jim Morrison, I got a 20-miler in on the TM. Very relaxed run. Felt a bit trippy while listening to all the stories. Good run. Beat last week's 18-miler in Pace and HR, that's including a lot more time at steeper inclines. Last week I did a .1 mile hill every mile after mile 4, this week I did two hills per mile totaling .35 miles. The MAF base training really blows my mind. I'll see real fast progress (weird fast) as soon as I add in these higher aerobic HR's in this second phase. That didn't happen when I did a higher HR base phase back in the day. TODAY'S RUN 1/18/08 treadmill 1% base incline 62º/35% humidity 20 miles (last week 18 miles) 9:48 ave pace (after warm-up 1st mile) (last week 10:12) highest average HR per mile: 173 (last week 177) planned paces 10:00 (20% of MRP) 9:11 (10% of MRP) based on an LT of 7:47 pace, equating to a 3:38:45 MRP or 8:21 pace 12:24 109 10:34 130 10:08 135 10:00 143 10:00 145 .15 mi hill @ 2.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 149 .15 mi hill @ 3.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 151 .15 mi hill @ 4.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 151 .15 mi hill @ 2.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 153 .15 mi hill @ 3.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 154 .15 mi hill @ 4.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 152 .15 mi hill @ 2.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 155 .15 mi hill @ 3.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 157 .15 mi hill @ 4.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 10:00 157 .15 mi hill @ 2.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 9:42 162 .15 mi hill @ 3.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 9:11 169 .15 mi hill @ 4.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 9:11 171 .15 mi hill @ 2.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 9:11 171 .15 mi hill @ 3.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 9:11 173 .15 mi hill @ 4.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 9:11 173 .15 mi hill @ 2.0, .20 mi hill @ 2.0 In the radio show keyboardist, Ray Manzarek, talked about how he ran into Jim Morrison on Venice Beach, after not seeing him for awhile after film school. Morrison sang him "Moonlight Drive" and the Doors started on that very beach I was standing on last year! I got a fan's chill during mile 5 thinking I could have been right near the very spot (probably where the dead bird was). If only I could have removed time with a jump through the doors of perception (but I was hungry and wanted a burger). Have a great weekend, everyone! --Jimmy P.S. LOW GEAR saw palmetto in the raw, calm ghetto
              Jimmy, Looks as though you've created a monster, or at the very least are in the process of doing so. I'm in awe! I'm kinda doing a non-credit audit of the anaerobic side of things. Looks like great funishment, yet way too scarey for this noob. Did you mean today's run 01/25 vs 01/18 ? LG1 back to the dark side, sorry for the intrusion, but I couldn't resist damn, thought I was losing it, clicked on quote, scrolled down and saw P.S. ...anyway good un 10-4 the ghetto!!
              ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
              Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
              ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
              lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Friday, January 25, 2008 19:15 GMT Omaha, Ne While i'm in the hood, I thought i'd mention that i've got a long run scheduled for Sunday. I'll be attempting to stretch out from last weeks 12 miler to a PR for me of 13.1...yep, a half marathon. Just a plain label LHR jog with the emphasis on staying -10 to -15 regardless of pace. I've acquired a taste for this and even given consideration to having Mr Garmin display HR only, therby reducing the agnst of seeing pace decay. Just a heads up: If successful, i'm planning on emitting the traditional "HOWARD DEAN SCREAM" LG1 Surprised
                lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 17:30 GMT Omaha, Ne I wonder if it would be counterproductive for me to introduce some cross training. Specifically upper body weight exercises. My formerly bazooka-like guns have morphed to resemble a pair of flaccid pee shooters on palmetto. Would a day or two a week of light weight workouts be helpful? Granted, it's largely narcissistic, but appearance means alot these days. On a related note, i've noticed that when I attach the bro strap of my Garmin, my right moobage is enhanced more so than the left. Would the aforementioned exercise even things out, or am I making too big a deal of it? Finally, the abdominal region, following my 34 pound weight loss, is remarkably flab free, which even surprises me, but certainly lacks the firmness of my youth. Would situps be beneficial? Your suggestions/comments are always welcome. LG1 Looking glass inventory day
                  lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 18:00 GMT Omaha, Ne On a more serious note, I Went for a personal record distance this morning. 13.1 miles. [Insert "Howard Dean Scream" audible emoticon here] The most notable aspect of it was my overall average HR of 115 bpm. My assumed MAF is 125, so it was obviously a very comfortable pace, although the duration was quite long, just short of having to bring a lunch. Feel pretty darn good post run, and i'm hopping that my continuation of LHR efforts pays off. Oh, seeking a little diversity, I altered my customary long run route. There was a bold fellow, Geppetto, who ran through a raw, calm ghetto though needing to pee, he sensed he should flee and pocketed his hit of palmetto LG1 Carving out a personal record........honestly, (Pinocchio), knot
                    BeeRunB

Saturday, January 26, 2008 17:30 GMT Omaha, Ne I wonder if it would be counterproductive for me to introduce some cross training. Specifically upper body weight exercises. My formerly bazooka-like guns have morphed to resemble a pair of flaccid pee shooters on palmetto. Would a day or two a week of light weight workouts be helpful? Granted, it's largely narcissistic, but appearance means alot these days. On a related note, i've noticed that when I attach the bro strap of my Garmin, my right moobage is enhanced more so than the left. Would the aforementioned exercise even things out, or am I making too big a deal of it? Finally, the abdominal region, following my 34 pound weight loss, is remarkably flab free, which even surprises me, but certainly lacks the firmness of my youth. Would situps be beneficial? Your suggestions/comments are always welcome. LG1 Looking glass inventory day
                      I think Jesse and some of the other weight lifters are better able to answer these questions. I do some push-ups (10-20) and yoga situps. Mittleman talks about doing weights aerobically in "Slow Burn."
                      BeeRunB

11/27/08 temp 65º/39% Run tm 1% 6 miles total
                        lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Jimmy, Limerick complete now, There was a bold fellow, Geppetto, who ran through a raw, calm ghetto though needing to pee, he sensed he should flee and pocketed his hit of palmetto thankfully I only had to do #1, in the ghetto. Goal is to improve spontaneity. LG1 poetic hesitation Rx filled......so I can go now...<insert> Saweet relief... like a race hoss... Unleaded <><insert hds=""></insert></insert>

Master of Inconsistency

*Bump* Just wondering how the other half lives Smile

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Master of Inconsistency

Today was day 1 of the sharpening phase as last week I completed my 12 weeks of basebuilding. Today 2/19/08 40F and winds W at 32mph 7 miles pace=7:54 AHR=171 Max=185 Shocked I decided to run today completely by feel. I actually covered up my HR monitor till I finished.I was shocked when I saw the results, because I felt like this was a comfortable pace ,I would never have guessed HR was that high. I think the wind may have conspired against me today ,I believe this could have been nearer to 7:30 pace without it. It may also just be that the body just isn't used to the faster stuff so the HR climbed. The highest I've ever seen my HR go on my monitor was 189 and I knew I was pushing it that time. Today when I finished I wasn't really even out of breath, I felt like I could have gone a few more miles easy. Who knows ,I guess I'll just have to adjust. Reporting from Anaerobia ,Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

I will be here soon. From my next long run on, I will be doing Jimmy'- modified Pfitz long runs. I will be starting slow and then working my heart rate through the 140s, 150s and into the lower 160s, trying to keep an even pace or a negative split.