Low HR Training

"Anaerobic" Phase HRT (over MAF) Reports & Discussion (Read 6049 times)

BeeRunB

Maybe I should READ things! You must mean the 14.1 k fun run! If your aim is to do 5:00 kilometers, then I suggest going out the first 3k in about 5:10-5:20 pace or 15:30-16:00. Then get to 5:00 pace and hold it. See what happens. You have some time to wake up your legs before the race with some fartlek or an LT run or two (20-30 minutes). Good luck! --Jimmy
      My first tempo run since the marathon 5 weeks ago. Felt ok all in all. Not fantastic, but not horrible, either. 2 mile warmup. 5K in 20:25 at lactate threshold HR. (~180 for me) 2.5 mile cooldown. 12 tomorrow and 20 on Sunday. 26 of those miles will be at ~MAF -20 with my wife. Cool

Master of Inconsistency

44F and very windy 25+ mph again Tongue at least it was sunny today Ran 8 miles , General Aerobic today. Resting HR back to normal and I feel like myself again. Ran the first 6 easy and picked it up for the last 2 Overall AHR= 148/167 Pace=9:29 I've got a mild discomfort in my IT band on my right leg so I'm stretching more than usual. It doesn't really concern me yet ,just something I'll have to watch out for. Hope everyone has good runs this weekend Greg Hank , Your pace looks great I say go for it on the 14K next Sunday ! Docster, your tempo run beat my 5K PR by 14 seconds, ouch !

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Hawt and sexy

Ok. Due to general curves that life has thrown my way, I have missed two weeks of speedwork. Then today I realized something. My goal for NJ in MAy is to BQ. A BQ for me is a 3:45 which is between an 8:30 and 8:40 mm pace. My current MAF is just over a 9 mm pace. My PR is 3:48: xx and I will be happy just to beat that. As long as things go well, I should have no problem getting to my BQ goal. JimBob, should I skip the peak phase this time? I still have six weeks and could get it in, but it is so tempting to skip it. Ok, everyone else can answer too, but Jimmy holds that special place in my bosom. Smile

I'm touching your pants.

BeeRunB

Ok. Due to general curves that life has thrown my way, I have missed two weeks of speedwork. Then today I realized something. My goal for NJ in MAy is to BQ. A BQ for me is a 3:45 which is between an 8:30 and 8:40 mm pace. My current MAF is just over a 9 mm pace. My PR is 3:48: xx and I will be happy just to beat that. As long as things go well, I should have no problem getting to my BQ goal. JimBob, should I skip the peak phase this time? I still have six weeks and could get it in, but it is so tempting to skip it. Ok, everyone else can answer too, but Jimmy holds that special place in my bosom. Smile
            My mother use to say that. Her nickname for me was My Sweet Jimmyeola Lobule. Will, Missing two weeks of speedwork (whatever your form of it is) won't hurt you. All my BQ's have come with a minimal of speedwork. Very, very little. The long runs, MAF training, and the occasional MRP runs. I'm still doing very little. A 30 minute LT run on occasion, and that's not really traditional speedwork. Best to not torch your legs. Relax, be aerobic, and trust that awesome base you've built. And don't sabotage your race by eating too close, starting too fast, or forgetting to set your alarm on race day! You'll BQ this time. --Jimmy
              You should be all set to meet your goal. Quite easily I suspect. Smile
                44F and very windy 25+ mph again Tongue at least it was sunny today Ran 8 miles , General Aerobic today. Resting HR back to normal and I feel like myself again. Ran the first 6 easy and picked it up for the last 2 Overall AHR= 148/167 Pace=9:29 I've got a mild discomfort in my IT band on my right leg so I'm stretching more than usual. It doesn't really concern me yet ,just something I'll have to watch out for. Hope everyone has good runs this weekend Greg Hank , Your pace looks great I say go for it on the 14K next Sunday ! Docster, your tempo run beat my 5K PR by 14 seconds, ouch !
                ========================= Greg, with your IT band, you might want to consider getting a foam roller, or The Stick, etc. to help that out. Also watch the camber of the roads (which you probably already know) for a few weeks to try to help ease the stress on the band.
                BeeRunB

Rest days work really well.
                  Shiksa

My initial "graduation" date of the 12 week base period would have been Tuesday of next week. However, I've got a 1/2 at the end of next week too, so I graduated early! Blush I have no intention of going all out at the half marathon, but I was interested in doing at least a couple of speed days to get an idea of what my HR would do in such a situation. I wanted it to be far enough from race day that I would not be tired. So, yesterday was the day! I swear I heard Pomp and Circumstance in the background as I ran. Then, I felt a little guilty for exceeding MAF (I'm a good rule follower!), but then I felt a smack on the side of the head from Jimmy's imaginary hand and thought I heard him say, "Stop Whining! It's your program." Big grin Not as epic as I thought it might be, but here goes: Mile 1 13:11 127/138 Mile 2 11:23 133/140 Mile 3 10:30 148/155 (MAF+8/MAF+15) Mile 4 11:28 148/155 Mile 5 11:42 148/154 Mile 6 13:14 136/148

Stacy
                    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

BeeRunB

My resting HR has been up 4-5 beats since Thursday. Took Friday off, and resumed today with an MAF test. RHR was up 4 beats this morning. Feeling fine, legs are good. Who knows why. I'm not too worried unless it gets over 5 beats over. It might have effected today's test but not much. I'm was about 8 seconds slower per mile than last test. Still in the same ballpark. MAF TEST today March 22 warm-up: 12:13 100 9:58 118 MAF TEST 8:55 141 9:05 141 9:12 141 9:17 141 9:25 141 45:54 9:11 pace last 5 tests: date......ave pace 2/10/08...9:58 2/20/08...9:25 3/2/08.....9:13 3/10/08...9:03 3/22/08...9:11 Stacy, looking good for your first wake-up run. Good luck in your half marathon. Keep us posted! --Jimmy
                        Today was my last continuous very long run before Boston. 22.17 miles. I broke it up into 5 sections. First 5 miles at MAF (145) or under. Next 5 at MAF + 6 (151), next 5 at MAF + 12 (157), next 5 at MAF + 17 (163). Final 2.17 at whatever feels comfortable...... I'm expecting to average around 160-163/164 for the marathon. So first 5 miles were about 8:43/mile AHR 139/140. Next 5 in 8:05/mile AHR 151 Next 5 in 7:34/mile AHR 157 Next 5 in 7:16/mile AHR 162 Last 2.17 in 7:52/mile AHR 156 Overall run was @ 7:55/mile AHR 152 (MAF+7) It was slightly windy out (not as bad as yesterday). Had some tightness in right calf. Took gels at 8,14,20 to make sure it didn't affect my stomach in Boston. Considering that this is not on a taper, etc. Looks like anywhere in the 7:10-7:20 range should be a good marathon pace. The crowds at the start should keep me nice and slow. Will do an easy 11 tomorrow to cap off a 33+ mile weekend. I have a half marathon next Sunday, that I will not do all out, but will probably run by HR until mile 10 and then pick it up the last 5k. After that will slowly ease into taper time... I probably could have easily run another 4 miles to get 26.2 in @ 3:25, but I'll wait until 4/21 to do that Smile It was very dry out today, cold but not frigid. I was covered in salt when I got home. Wonder if I should have taken more fluids (only water with gels). Anyways legs feel great right now.

Master of Inconsistency

Ran 5 miles easy today AHR 148 , Pace= 9:55 Ran mostly on grass , dirt trail and a bit on the roads. Happy Easter to all that celebrate it! Greg DCV 2002 : Nice run, yet another Maf Whiz

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

Ran 5 miles easy today AHR 148 , Pace= 9:55 Ran mostly on grass , dirt trail and a bit on the roads. Happy Easter to all that celebrate it! Greg DCV 2002 : Nice run, yet another Maf Whiz
                            For reference, I have a 3:06 marathon PR in NYC Nov 2006. Then got sick winter 2007 and took over 3 months completely off from running. When I started back up (Doing MAF) at about 12 mpw My first run was I think at > 12mpm for 3 miles... I think back in April 2007. Its been a long road back.
                            BeeRunB

Today was my last continuous very long run before Boston. 22.17 miles. I broke it up into 5 sections. First 5 miles at MAF (145) or under. Next 5 at MAF + 6 (151), next 5 at MAF + 12 (157), next 5 at MAF + 17 (163). Final 2.17 at whatever feels comfortable...... I'm expecting to average around 160-163/164 for the marathon. So first 5 miles were about 8:43/mile AHR 139/140. Next 5 in 8:05/mile AHR 151 Next 5 in 7:34/mile AHR 157 Next 5 in 7:16/mile AHR 162 Last 2.17 in 7:52/mile AHR 156 Overall run was @ 7:55/mile AHR 152 (MAF+7) It was slightly windy out (not as bad as yesterday). Had some tightness in right calf. Took gels at 8,14,20 to make sure it didn't affect my stomach in Boston. Considering that this is not on a taper, etc. Looks like anywhere in the 7:10-7:20 range should be a good marathon pace. The crowds at the start should keep me nice and slow. Will do an easy 11 tomorrow to cap off a 33+ mile weekend. I have a half marathon next Sunday, that I will not do all out, but will probably run by HR until mile 10 and then pick it up the last 5k. After that will slowly ease into taper time... I probably could have easily run another 4 miles to get 26.2 in @ 3:25, but I'll wait until 4/21 to do that Smile It was very dry out today, cold but not frigid. I was covered in salt when I got home. Wonder if I should have taken more fluids (only water with gels). Anyways legs feel great right now.
                              Congrats on your comeback. Looking good for Boston. I wish you the best there. It's a great race. I had a blast when I ran it. Don't count on the crowd of runners keeping you slow. Lots of them get sucked into running the first 5-6 miles too fast because of the downhill at the start. Keep us posted on your race. --Jimmy

run-easy-race-hard

Congrats on your comeback. Looking good for Boston. I wish you the best there. It's a great race. I had a blast when I ran it. Don't count on the crowd of runners keeping you slow. Lots of them get sucked into running the first 5-6 miles too fast because of the downhill at the start.
                                Haha - and I will give you the exact opposite advice (as I like to do): Train well for downhill running - get plenty of long, sustained downhill training runs in. Do not let the crowd hold you back and try to bank as much as you can for as long as you can, as long as you keep your heart rate under control. As long as you can avoid the crowds (which is a huge challenge), it can be one of the easiest courses around if the weather is cooperative.