Marathon Training and Discussions

Training question for multiple marathons (Read 275 times)

My wife and I ran Vegas on 12/2 and initially planned on a nice training program to get us to Oklahoma City, 4/27. However some friends of ours have talked us into joining them for the New Orleans Marathon, 2/24. We have never attempted to run marathons this close together. Does anyone have any suggestions or plans that might give us an idea as to how to get this done? Because of the closeness of the races I am not looking for a great time, just to have fun and reach the finish line.
    "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan

Imminent Catastrophe

Hal Higdon has a plan for 8 weeks between races: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/multiple/Multiplemara.htm Bottom line: Lots of consistent running short/mid (6-7 miles for me), two or three long runs of at least 16 miles in between. That's my method, if you can call it that. If you just want to have a great time it should not be a problem provided you've been doing long runs enough. In fact my best marathon was only a week after a VERY slow, easy marathon. Mardi Gras is a blast, and be sure to enjoy the red beans & rice and beer afterward!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks for the link and advice! I am pretty excited as I have never been to New Orleans.
        "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
        Katie H

Chicago winter running

That training program PerfesseR posted is a pretty good one and I followed it more or less (with higher mileage during the week) and things went really well. Did 3 marathons in 2 months actually so look out, Hawk- you might get addicted! I think you'll like it b/c it feels easier than having to build up from a low base- you just have to maintain and keep your head in the game. Have fun- you're going to rock it! Let us know how it goes.
          We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.

Imminent Catastrophe

... Did 3 marathons in 2 months actually so look out, Hawk- you might get addicted! ...
            Hey Katie, are you a Marathon Maniac? Just wondering, 3 marathons in 2 months. Check it out. We're maniacs, but not a cult, like the one that other Katie H is in.
            I think you'll like it b/c it feels easier than having to build up from a low base- you just have to maintain and keep your head in the game
            I couldn't have said it better. I run marathons frequently because...I'm lazy. If that makes sense.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Katie H

Chicago winter running

Oooh! Thanks for the link! Wow- some of the those levels are nuts! I'd barely make it in but would like to join! I couldn't find the membership cost anywhere- is it expensive or reasonable? It seems like being part of a group like that would be great motivation! I totally know what you mean about racing a lot b/c you're lazy- I feel the same way Smile ha ha!
              We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.
              jpnairn

straw man

Marathon Maniac dues are $10 annually. I'm Maniac #361.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Katie H

Chicago winter running

$10 is perfect! Thanks for the info! I'd be lucky to be part of a club that PerfesseR and Jerry are in- on my way to being cool...

Imminent Catastrophe

$10 is perfect! Thanks for the info! I'd be lucky to be part of a club that PerfesseR and Jerry are in- on my way to being cool...
                    ...and at least 15 others on RA. It's a good group, it's fun when you see fellow MMs at a race and chat with them. Plus you often get crowd support when people see your Maniac wear. You're free to join the MarathonManiacs group anytime, we're not at all cliquish.