Masters Running

40's, 50's, 60's + On The Run w/e 4/17/11 (Read 471 times)

Top 'O the World!

"Congratulations! "Canada’s Ed Whitlock, 80 years old, ran a spectacular 3:25:43 (3:25:40 net) in the Rotterdam marathon to smash the world 80-84 record of 3:39:18 set by Australia’s Robert Horman at Brisbane in 1998."

& "A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats"

Not sure who to credit on either of these as I stole 'em from FB & Marshal Ulrich's blog..... Wink I do know that the second, he was quoting Dean Karnazes:   http://marshallulrich.com/blog/dean-karnazes-run-across-america/

& in that, did some reading about Yiannis Kouros!!!!  ....  just needing some of a.) this kind of inspiration  & b.) get my priorities in my head straight!

We're thinking to go to a book signing/movie preview for Marshall here on Thurs.  Be kinda cool to get to meet him, I think.

Hope everyone has a great week....off to put some miles on my feet

Ciao! ~

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Thanks for starting us Cindy. I must say that Ed can give us kids some serious inspiration for our future running plans.

Where are you guys seeing Arla's AR50 time?

In the good news department, as well as the inspiration department, we found out today that my 49 year old kid sister, single Mom with three kids, just passed the bar exam. Last year she graduated Temple Law School. Good stuff.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

In the good news department, as well as the inspiration department, we found out today that my 49 year old kid sister, single Mom with three kids, just passed the bar exam. Last year she graduated Temple Law School. Good stuff.

As one who got my second BS by going part-time WITH a wife to deal with the kid, i can't imagine how tough it was to do that level of schooling without any extra help.  Good for her!!

I had my Sunday run cut short with a sore knee, AGAIN.  Not happy, but I'm making a starting guess that I might have ITBS for a couple of reasons.  I ended up sort of cramming in long runs before the half without a whole lot of buildiup and i also haven't made it to yoga in quite a while.  In looking at the recommended strecthces and exercises on the Runner's World site, it looks a lot like things that I was doing every week.  I think I'll give all of those a shot over the next few days, plus I think I might actually make it to yooga tonight and see what happens. 

Hi to everyone--work is over so I need to head home.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for getting us started, Cindy.

Joe - Congrats to your sister!  Here's the link to Arla's finishing time.  Plug in her name or bib number (355) and it'll come up.

Stumpy - Hopefully, getting back into yoga and building the LRs at a slower rate will help your knee.

Rest day for me.  First full day of work since we bottomed out, and I'm really drained mentally.  I met with my counselor today and will be meeting with her once a week for awhile.  It helps.  Still working on taking things one day at a time, although it's really hard.  My brain jumps 6, 10 steps ahead when we haven't even got through Step 1.  I know all this doesn't make sense, but that's all I can say.  Just know your continued support means a lot to me.

Have a good evening ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi all, back in the saddle here!

Leslie - you are being strong, keeping up with getting some exercise, I have nothing but admiration for your strength. You were definitely in my thoughts all day on Saturday, and yes, I have your decal. Smile 

Cindy - love how the boss thinks it's ok to cut your pay in half like that, def. time to go for now. Good luck with those long runs, seems like you're doing back-to-back long runs?

Carol - that's a huge improvement on your tri times! Wow! So great that you're having fun. Good luck with the open water swimming, I hope the wetsuit helps as much as I think it will.

Joe - congrats on your sister's bar exam! Seems like lots of people have a time with that.

Kevin - hope the knee settles down. Massage helped my with ITBS a couple of years ago, two firm treatments and it's been gone ever since. Or if you have the foam roller? I tried the stretches and they just didn't cut it, for me they're good for maintenance only.Hang in there.

Jim - way to keep running, this time of year must be crazy for you. Oh wait, every time of year is crazy for you. You know, I used to think farmers had some down time...it's actually just relative.

Hi to everyone else out there.

OK, so AR50, strangely, there's not much to say, the short story is that I just took it easy and it simply turned out better than I expected. Posting a RR on the main board.

Ex runner

Leslie - . . .  and yes, I have your decal. Smile 

OK, so AR50, strangely, there's not much to say, the short story is that I just took it easy and it simply turned out better than I expected. Posting a RR on the main board.

(1) You are a goddess, and

(2) I knew you'd do great!  I just knew it!

So when's the next 50-miler???? Big grin

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Well, I did it. I called her & told her to pull me off the schedule. It just doesn't make sense to the bottom line to drive that far for that little...not unless she's a 501c Wink  plus all of the other stuff on my Summer schedule ....like my 20 miler today...we'll see how I feel towards a 10 in the morning.

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Just love that “just typed for 25 mins and poof it’s gone “  feeling.  Jeesh  , dam computers. Can’t trust ‘em I tell ya.

Jim- Nice going on your mileage PB! 14.5 spot, and your biggest week ever , very impressive. Hope your caught up feeling lasts a while.

Arla- beating feet to your RR following this. I knew you would kick some major behind this time. Goddess indeed, that’s a whole lot of badassery  points right there.

Leslie-Once again you have shown your toughness. Whatever you’re dealing with, you seem to be motoring through it like your long runs. Keep it up.

Cindy- slipped in a casual 20miler and looking at a 10 tomorrow? Are you training with the number 50 in your head too?

Carol- any tiredness/ soreness?  So good that your friend was able to go with you. Tri’s are a whole level above just running, and you’re improving very well.

Stumpy- rest up that knee, both sides. Now that you’re post race, a bit of down time might be  good for the parts, eh? I don’t want to be too personal, but what is yooga? Some new-fangled exercise routine ?

Hi OM, and Ev, and anyone else in the cloud…..

Thanks for the well wishes for my sister , my other 5 siblings and I are very proud of her. Can’t hurt to have a lawyer (and an honest one at that) in the family either  .

Another real kick butt confidence building long run for me tonight. 18.1m x  8:40 ap with the middle 12 over my hilly route. 1600 ft elevation change is the best  I have to work with. Traditionally, my fall marathons have been much much better than spring. Real life time pressures caused me to drop my mileage and I feel faster all the time. Three weeks to show time (or should I say Joe time) and I’m feeling fine.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - thanks, and did I say I have your decal? I need you to PM me with an addy. And what Joe said about your toughness. What was your reverse taper like following AR50? So far I've just been doing some walking but am itching to run. Don't have the gimpy gait like I do after a hard marathon, but everything's sure not 100%,either.  Not sure about another of these, it's a BIG DEAL. Makes a marathon look like a regular ol' weekend hard run.

Joe -  wait, what's in 3 weeks? Damn you're fast right now. Rein that in before your event!

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Nothing "casual" abt me doing 20 - yet!  bit stiffish, not too bad, this am. No, not working on a 50 exactly....close, if I'm going to try to do my miles on my birthday in Sept. I haven't decided yet....I do have poss 3-4 marathons (just completion!!)  plus a 24 mi. crew segment of TRR that I'd love to do with everybody. & my goals are just to be able to finish well - & under cutoff times so, nothing too serious.

Joe - did you say "honest" & "lawyer" in the same sentence!?!? Big grin oh yeah, you said you grew her! Wink  & yeah, what ^^they^^ said - damnfast!! = looking fwd to some exciting news from the Eastern coast!

Arla - active recovery - as long as its reasonable - isn't a bad thing..it can actually speed up the recovery time!  ...that's why they call that really slow pace (mine) a "recovery run." Wink   Now, I'm not an ultra-runner, & I didn't play one on TV! But I have stayed @ a Holiday Inn Express ....and I have a few ultra friends whom I see during the Summer..many of whom don't seem to sit around - ever! but they do verrry easy jogs on "rest days"  distance is relative to the runner, training, body stress involved. .. & I'll bet you could find/chat with Kelly on fb! Not to mention all the folks on the trailrunners forum - some of whom I believe do a number of those insanely long trail races!

Kevin - I second Arla's op. on your knee. Deep tissue massage, MAT therapy, PT excercises & soon! ~ before you exacerbate other potential issues! Wink

Leslie - sometimes, just keeping your oars in the water is the best thing that you can do. {{Hugs}}

So, Carol....what's next?  Hope the severe weather missed you yesterday!

Joe - DAY-UM!! Shocked And thankfully I'm not the only one who has had a brain fart as to what marathon you're training for.

Arla - I can't remember exactly what I did after AR50 last year, but I know it was at least a week's worth of slow recovery runs/walking, then I believe the second week Coach had me slowly adding back in some strength training.  It was a good two weeks' worth of recovery, though.  You've just been through a hard training schedule then a grueling race.  Your bod needs to the recovery.  And PS - Recovering from a AR50 will be like childbirth.  In a month or so, you'll be looking at the list of runs on Ultra Signup .   heh heh heh

Cindy - So you only have one or two things lined up for the season, huh? Wink

Hey to everyone else I've missed. 

1 hr of core/strength training for me this a.m., with plans for an excitement filled hour of pool running after work.

Later, dudes and dudettes ~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

but am itching to run.

Geesh.

Cindy- miles on your birthday means one for every year? That's only what, 30 or so?

"The Event "  for me is the NJ Marathon on 5/1. It will be my third time on a course that has not been kind to me. It's not the course that's tough, I just had a couple of bad runs there. The first was 3 years ago and my first spring marathon. I managed a 3 min pr from the previous fall but I really struggled at the end. Two years ago I started ok and thought I had trained well but wilted at the half way point. It was, at the time, a two 13.1m looped course. I was at the halfway (start/finish) and really thought about quiting. I couldn't and ended up finishing the second half better than the first. Another 2 min pr but felt like a dissapointment.

This year the course has been changed. No more 2 loops. The half marathoners and us will go around town a bit (there used to be 23 turns on each loop 46 turns for the full) After the halfers break off, the full goes straight down the ocean rd then back which is much more appealing.

So my real goal is to finish a spring marathon strong. I felt good leading up to the others there, so I'm a bit apprehensive. I need to conquer this one. It's my nemisis. It has mocked me. It's time for me to b%#tchslap it upside it's evil little head.

Think I'm motivated enough? Evil

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - you go get it! I looked at the course, the main concerns seem to be (1) damn, that's a lot of turns, so you'll have to keep your wits about you (2) weather is a crapshoot. OTOH you seem to be peaking well so now you just have to hang on to that and stay fresh. I am really looking forward to this one for you, as you know.

Leslie - "excitement filled hour of pool running" - heh. I never run with music anymore, but I think I'd be looking into waterproof headphones. Definitely not ready to look at Ultra Signup....oh, maybe just a peek.

Cindy - I'm thinking you're next up for an ultra, if you're planning 24 mi segments of TRR and multiple marathons! Sounds an awful lot like my training for AR50. Just sayin'.

Legs feel good to go for an easy run today, 3 or 4 nice and slow should do it.

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Sheesh! ~ & here I was thinking youse guys were gonna tell me I'm crazy, slap me upside the back of the head (reset button), & tell me to seriously rethink my game plan! Wink...Ida listened to ya!  Really!!

Joe - every year you've been stronger & faster..period! ...you've worked pretty hard for it too!   Not sure what you want out of this one...oh yeah, you did say b!^@%slap it!! Smile   I'm pretty sure that'll happen ~ as long as the grey matter doesn't get in your way Wink    I'll be thinking aboutcha on 5/1...you should be just about done, well, at least half way, when we start in Ft Collins, 6:15am MST....Doug & I and some friends are running down the Poudre River @ sunrise. point to point. no loops. very little tfc.  slight downhill.  one teensy "hill" @ mile 19...heh! kinda the backside of our neighborhood kinda "hill" Wink  Anywho!  so, since you won't come out here...., consider this a "buddy run!" (except that I'm not as strong of a runner as you!)

Anybody else??  May 1st Buddy Run?....5K+ (or pool) where-ever you are? 

My 10 became 5 reeeeal easy yesterday...just didn't give myself enough time in the morning - appts causing time bookends & being a bit creaky, I decided that caution/rest might be the wiser move...funny how some of these "creaks" disappear a cpl miles in & resurface about the time I've been sitting too long, or first thing in the morning for a little bit?!  Had a moment to stop by the running goodie store whilst waiting on one of DD's appts...I made it out of there w/o taking anything from the clearance rack!! However, did pick up a much needed new sports bra & another Nathan vest....the men's vest I have works great, until it's empty. then it just rides wrong...guess I'm too short through the torso for a decent fit...but hey! the new women's vest has some very kewl lime green trim! & now Doug has a light vest too Wink now, what to do with the Camelback - course, it holds twice as much water - for those reeeally long hikes!....or bike rides....or....

Anybody else??  May 1st Buddy Run?....5K+ (or pool) where-ever you are? 

Yeh, I'm up for a Buddy Run.  I'll do an impromptu 10K around my usual running trails May 1st.  This will be fun. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM