Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 08/07 (Read 316 times)

Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so you shall become. Your vision is the promise of what you shall one day be; your ideal is the prophecy of what you shall at last unveil. -- James Allen

Spent 60 min with The Firm gals and happily discovered I am in too good of shape for those videos.  Don't get me wrong, I worked up a sweat, but it definitely wasn't as challenging as it was 5+ years ago.  So now I have all these The Firm DVDs that I probably won't ever use again.  I need to go to our public library and see what they have in the way of workout DVDs to see if I can find something more challenging. However, I've tweaked my lower back, so I think I'm going to back off of anything except walking and some light core work for a few days to try and get things happy again.  I have no idea how I did it, but I think the bike riding is a contributor.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - thanks for starting us, and nice work! Not a surprise, considering how consistent you've been with the strength and core workouts.

Mostly kicked the crud, got in some running this weekend and a tempo session today, although definitely not at 100% yet.

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Howdy folks!

Ho Boy do I have some reading to catch up on....may not happen for a bit though...Just got back Sunday night from working RAGBRAI in hot & steamy Iowa! Kicked my butt it did! Pretty productive, but alas, I'm pretty wiped out!  Only got in one 5 miler (ish) while out there...combo of schedule & crazy ass H&H knocked the ambition right outta me!! ...Went directly up to higher/cooler climes for Doug to catch some trail running yesterday - he did 24 miles of the Colorado Trail @ Kenosha Pass....Mairead & I only did 5 & then took a nap to wait Wink  Today was pretty much a cluster mess so, I didn't get any more than a two mile brisk walk w/Mairead...maybe tomorrow...

I'm sure that I'll continue to be a bit AWOL for a bit here...working two more bike thingys the next two wknds, then TRR, which I am ramping up on the organization front. Egads!

Hope Evryone is doing well!! Smile

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hey, Ladies!

Once again, Cindy is putting us all to shame with her  go, go, go lifestyle. Wink  Slo-hand, over on the daily, participated in RAGBRAI.

Cindy, your hub is doing TRR, right??

Arla - Sounds the crud really tackled you.  Take care of yourself, kiddo.

I worked until almost 10:30 last night doing transcription - about 3 hours worth.  It started getting really tedious at the end, and I found myself pushing against the back my chair, with my entire back and shoulders aching like crazy.  Needless to say, I didn't get up for a workout, and right now my low back feels like something is turning a screw to get it at tight as possible.  Ugh!  I'm using a heating pad here at work, but sitting isn't working out so well.  Not sure how long I'm gonna make it.

No visit with Shorty last night.  Something was going on with the jail computer system.  He did call me, though, and is sounding remarkably chipper. He said he's housed mostly with guys who have screwed up their SWAP program so are in for only a month or two and everyone's been nice.  One guy even gave him an extra sweatshirt he had, and another gave him a pair of sandals 'cause Shorty's were falling apart and nobody was expecting anything in return.  The bummer news is we were hoping he was getting "a day for a day" credit, but there's a fight over that in the courts right now, so it's 1/3 of a day credit for a day served.  However, for every 10 hours of classes he takes (adult ed, meditation, AA, counseling), he gets a day's credit, so hopefully he'll be out right before his birthday in January.

My question: How the heck can you screw up SWAP unless you're a total and complete idiot??  You show up, you pay $30 to work an 8-hour day for the Sheriff's Department.  If you don't have the $30/day to do SWAP, stay in jail.  . . . . . . . this is why Shorty won't be getting out until January. Blush

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - yuck, RAGBRAI in hot and steamy? Bet you're glad to be out of that. When's TRR?

Leslie - hope the back is better...too much sitting messes with my back as well. Bet if you get out there for your trail walking this weekend it'll be right as rain. Glad to hear that Shorty's doing well, given the circumstances.

"Only" 91 today when I hit the door for my run, felt downright comfortable. Legs feel pretty good considering time off/crud recovery.

Ex runner

"Only" 91- Dead

My back was feeling better yesterday until my boss' 8 yo daughter decided to give me a hug and while doing so abruptly jump to take her feet off the ground to hang from my waist.  It was all I could do to not kill her. (If I had, I probably would've promptly lost my job.)  It's a bit better today.

Another blown chance to visit Shorty this morning.  He went out with the work crew.  What?  He told me wouldn't get to go out for at least a month.  Now I'm wondering if he was in the van that was pulling out and that I walked in front of to go to the jail.  If so, I guess he wouldn't be allowed to bang on the window and yell to me. (Hey, baby!  Wanna ride?!?) Joking  Will try again tomorrow afternoon.  Third time's a charm, right?

Have a great Friday ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Yeah, YUCK! is right! this mtnchick is unaccustomed to THAT much H&H!!  gr8tful to be back home, where it's only 91* & 17% humidity!! (we get to start out @ 62* though!Wink )  I must say that it was $$ productive, though, so I may seriously consider doing it again!

TRR is Aug 21st - 27th ... I'm already on deck w/emails, phone calls, etc. going on for my segment of the crew....Doug's training is coming along as well as can be expected - considering this is high season @ work as well! He's been biking back & forth to work nearly every day lately, running after work many days & long mtn runs on the wknds,  minding his beer rations & is down to a svelt 160 lbs! I'm going to have to reconfigure HIS closet if he keeps this up!

Meantime, I ride with him when I'm home. Cooler days, I also run w/Mairead as soon as I get back. Warmer days we hit the dog park & briskly walk the perimeter loop for a cpl miles or so - lots of shade breaks!  I now have committed to events - mostly wknds - through 9/11....bet I can find something to do on the 17/18th & thinking about hitting a cpl 5K's on Oct 1 & 2nd. JFF!  & thinking abt going to National Massage convention in mid Oct in Oregon....That should just about put me a cpl of races away from ski season!

Glad you're feeling better, Arla! I hate, hate, hate the Summer crud!!!!!

HEY!!  to evrybody else....back up to the mtns for a few more days for me.

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cindy - Where at in Oregon???

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Cindy - wow, so TRR is coming soon! Sounds like that is keeping you busy. And wow, Doug is getting pretty skinny there, he ought to fly through that course.

Leslie - awwww, the little darlin' - not. Evil  You really started something with your whey question!

Some more easy miles in the heat today, still coughing up some chunks but at least it's not happening until after the run.

Where are the guys?

Ex runner

Leslie -   You really started something with your whey question!

I know!  I haven't checked in there since Thursday.  I'm almost afraid to! Wink  MTA:  I just went over and checked out.  10 pages!  Holy crap!   Didn't think I'd brew up that much controversy. Roll eyes

11 miles in 2:53 out at Headwaters this morning.  Felt really good, threw in some EZ running now and then.  The foot's a bit achy, but nothing bad.  The back's a bit cranky, but I'll live.  Just need to keep doing my back exercises and it will clear up.  Got attacked by three very friendly dogs.  Well, the collie didn't attack, but she sure was available for scratches.  The other two, a 4-mo chocolate lab and 1-yo black lab came roaring up as fast as they could when they saw me.   The two labs practically knocked me over from jumping on me.  Cute and friendly, but  in need of obedience training. Evil

Went and saw Shorty today - finally!  It's really weird to be there.  And you have to watch what you say 'cause it's all being recorded.  The funny part is I've transcribed some jailhouse recordings before, and at times I caught myself thinking, "I'm saying the kind of crap that drives me crazy when I'm transcribing!" Smile  It was over far too soon.  We were at a window (there's a window between us, we're on a phone) right next to the elevator.  Suddenly the elevator opens and we're both looking around trying to figure out if that means the visit's over.  Nobody gives you any information.  Nada.  Suddenly the voice of "God" says, "VIsit's over!  Enter the elevator!"  Oookay.  I guess that's what the open elevator door means.  No warning, nothing.

Things have been "hitting home" constantly in this whole mess, but this is a big one.  Especially for him.  It's going to be a long six months.

Well, I need to get my act together.  Going to try out a friend's church tonight.  They have a Saturday evening service at 6:30 and two services on Sunday.  I like the idea of a Saturday evening service.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hello??  Been very quiet around this week.

After a few hours of housecleaning and yard work, I ended up having to drive to my dad's place to deliver his medications I picked up yesterday. (40+ miles in my gas guzzler 'cause he has my little car.  A lesson in holding my temper. Roll eyes )

Once I got home, I forced myself to go out and do a workout.  A new one - Ripped Body - part of the 3 DVDs from our local health club.  Oh . . . My!  Let's just say I'm going to be a tad sore tomorrow.  Turkish Get-Ups, burpees, dumbbell swings, lots of squatting and swinging of dumb bells, planks, leg flutters.  (I don't have kettle bells, so I had to improvise with dumbbells.)  The Turkish Get-Ups - Ugh!  I'll definitely be including this DVD in my workout program.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance