Masters Running

Thursday runs (Read 522 times)

Welcome to Oklahoma, Karin.  Glad you and super Granny are okay.

I'll be running at lunch.  That humidity yesterday morning just drained me the rest of the day, and I was in bed by 10:00.  wunderground.com says at noon it'll be 87 but down to 43% humidity so I'll take it.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

wildchild

Carolyn

Karin, I didn't realize your part of the country got tornadoes!  Somehow I picture them as a midwestern phenomenon. Glad you and Super Granny are OK.  

Sadly, I didn't run yesterday even though it was National Running Day.  I had an eye doctor appt. after work and had my eyes dilated, so I couldn't see very well and skipped my usual RAW.    Planning a RAW today, though. It's hot in town today so I'll run in the nice cool mountains.

The Newport gathering sounds fun!  Hope you guys take some pictures.

There are some signs of spring at my house!  The aspen trees are starting to leaf out, and the hummingbirds are back.  And most of the snow is melted - there are just small piles on the north side of the house and shop.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

2 roasters of juicy pulled pork. One seasoned, one BBQ. Baked beans, Moms awesome tater salad and what ever my sisters show up with.

What time do we eat?  Actually--my 18 year old was supposed to graduate, this year, too.  But, because of all of his problems, he still has, at least, another year to go.  So--we keep getting graduation invitations and my DW refuses to go to any.  She says it would just be too hard on her.  So--we're sending out a bunch of cards, this year, I guess.  There are some, though--like our neighbors across the street who have been to seven of our graduation parties--that I will have to go to and try to explain why I'm by myself.  I love the food at graduation parties, though, so I'll suffer through.

Oh, yeah--Karin--glad you're all okay!  They've been within a few miles of my house, this year, too.

TammyinGP

I was quite shocked to see those tornados over on the east coast too! glad everyone escaped unscathed.

I pulled up weather for Newport and it looks to be exactly like it was last year. Rain for the days leading up to saturday, overcast but mid 60's on saturday (but no rain) and then rain again on Sunday. That's what it did last year. Hope that weather forecast is accurate for you guys!  WJ and BL are also going to be there!!??!! Wow, I'm sad I'm missing out on a fun Newport party this year.  My co-worker, Justin, who will be shooting for a BQ as he was only about 90 seconds off in May's marathon, might be dressing clownlike for this marathon, with a bright lime-green shirt, and two different brightly colored leg sleeves. I told him to keep his eye out for the Omak Warrior and the tall/thin marathon maniac Erika. I told him you'd likely be wearing the bright yellow singlet and black skirt.

no run for me either yesterday, wildchild. it was just a cold rainy mess here. rain, wind, hail, even snow at the higher elevations. yuck.

today is my sons 5th grade graduation field trip. bowling this morning, picnic in the park and then a jetboat ride along the Rogue River. those jetboat rides are a blast when it's 90 degrees out. not so much when it's low 60's. at least today looks like the rain might stay away for most of the day.

I have a leg massage in about an hour and I plan to get in a short run after work. normally I wouldn't on a massage day, but since I didn't run yesterday, I don't want to skip two days of running. I figure an easy 4 or so should be fine.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I pulled up weather for Newport and it looks to be exactly like it was last year. ...overcast but mid 60's on saturday (but no rain)

Have fun!  I admit I'm a little jealous - not just of the meet-ups but the weather - the forecast for my Saturday 50k is a high of 93 degrees...Joking 

Karin - I'm glad you came through okay.  I, too, was surprised that the northeast got tornadoes.

Jlynne - 4 miles a day is still 4 miles a day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Glad the tornadoes missed you, Karin. I was checking the news sites last night and the pictures were incredible. Very densely populated areas, what a mess.

I'm still packing, but I'm all checked in for my flight tomorrow! We leave here mid-day to drive to Anchorage (DS2's soccer tournament this weekend), then I leave tomorrow morning for Portland. Got a first class upgrade, too! Smile Yes the weather is looking pretty darn good for Newport!

Holly, be careful in those temps, but have a good race. Hope it's not as muddy as last year.

Ok guys, gotta get movin' here!

Karin - holy carp!! glad supergranny was out of the way.

Holly, only 93?  Be careful!

Mike, I am confused by this whole graduation thing.  North of the border, I don't recall any such graduation party thing happening, other than a bunch of the kids getting together in the ravine with a few cases of beer.  Do all parents throw these graduation parties?  I am not being a jerk, I am just really naive.  So I don't understand what these cards you are going to mail out are about either.  Announcement with a grad photo?  In Canada, this custom just doesn't exist, not even for college graduation!

Valentine's Day is another "big event" here that is really subdued in Canada.  Guess we are all tightwads, unswayed by commercial propaganda.

I got a bunch of baking to do, treats for my DD's class tomorrow since it is her birthday on Saturday.  She has really come a long way since the beginning of the school year when I was thinking of taking her for therapy.  I think it is entirely to do with her making a good friend.

Hopefully squeeze a run in before the end of the day.  I know it won't feel as good as yesterday!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Karin--I talked with my sister last night and it landed about a mile from them.  Yeah, it is seriously unusual to have tornadoes in our area, but until Joplin, I think one of the most deadly tornado in US had been in Worcester (1950's)  They are fine--no damage, but unfortunately it appears that 2 of the 4 fatalities were in Westfield.

Haven't had a chance to check on any details yet.

Although I haven't been doing very much running, I get to go watch a bunch of folks enjoying themselves while running.  Our company is sponsoring a community service day and a group is going to volunteer at the NH Special Olympics tomorrow.  I' really looking forward to it.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike, I am confused by this whole graduation thing.  North of the border, I don't recall any such graduation party thing happening, other than a bunch of the kids getting together in the ravine with a few cases of beer.  Do all parents throw these graduation parties?  I am not being a jerk, I am just really naive.  So I don't understand what these cards you are going to mail out are about either.  Announcement with a grad photo?  In Canada, this custom just doesn't exist, not even for college graduation!

Seriously?  Yeah--some of these things can get pretty ridiculous.  We have always just cleaned out and decorated the garage, rented a big tent and set up the yard with chairs and tables.  But there are some people that really go all out for their kids' graduation parties.  I remember when I graduated, I got a pat on the back and was told, "good luck" on my way out the door.  Oh--and the senior picures!  I think we spent over $700 on my son's senior pictures a couple of years ago.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Enke - our girls had graduation parties just as Mike E described and we have 3 to go to for the next 3 weekends.    Our good friends are caterer's and they love this season as it brings them lots of extra work.      When I graduated, I remember going to visit my dad in the hospital with my cap and gown on, then home where I think my gift was a stereo (boom box type) and then off with friends.    No big deal ...... how does all this happen .... by trying to keep up with the "Jones'"?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

HermosaBoy

My son graduated last year and didn't call it a party -- it was an Open House.  Lots of kids coming and going.  It was an expensive endeavor!  Although, we saved money on pictures by having my brother-in-law take them and I did the cooking.  Can you say fajitas and fish tacos for 100 or so???

The velcro wall for entertainment wasn't cheap though...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Slo

My son graduated last year and didn't call it a party -- it was an Open House.  Lots of kids coming and going.  It was an expensive endeavor!  Although, we saved money on pictures by having my brother-in-law take them and I did the cooking.  Can you say fajitas and fish tacos for 100 or so???

The velcro wall for entertainment wasn't cheap though...

An "Open House" is exactly what the invite said. This is pretty much the same thing I had. Invites sent to family, friends and neighbors. Set out some food, soda's, beer...most people stop buy, have a small bite and move on.  Some of the teachers will stop by as well.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yep, "Open House" as well ..... it was a great reason to get all the To Do lists Done ... at least for a little while.   Roll eyes

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

HermosaBoy

I think most of the invites were done by Facebook.  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Now I'm worried what the expectations will be in another 7 years when DS graduates!  Eeek!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."