Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 06/05 (Read 374 times)

"Human beings are made up of flesh and blood, and a miracle fiber called courage"

-George Patton

My heart-felt gratitude to those and their families who have sacrificed to keep us safe and free.

Didn't workout this weekend, but plan to get out to the shed this afternoon for some stationary biking and ST/core.  After a year, I finally have my BluRay player connected to the TV, so I can watch movies while working out.

Yesterday while doing yard work, The Hub discovered our apple tree was loaded with caterpillars:

It'll be interesting to see if there's anything left of the apple tree in a few weeks.

MTA:

40 min of stationary cycling, followed by 1 hr of core/strength training whilst watching my favorite I-Am-Woman-Hear-Me-Roar-And-Watch-Me-Kick-Your-A$$ movie, "G.I. Jane."  My arms totally and completely pooped.  Even my fingers are pooped!  Now I'm watching one of the best sports movies ever, "For Love of the Game."  Yep, it's a movie kinda day for me.

I've also test-driven my foot a bit, i.e. walking without the aid of crutches. Wanted to see how it feels before I go to the doc tomorrow.  It feels weird, but doesn't hurt.  It's like my AT is trying to remember what it's suppose to do, and there's a minor burning sensation across the top.  No plans to push it, but at least I'll be able to give an accurate report.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

OM - Congrats on the job and sooo glad your surgery turned out ok. Sounds like you'll be racing again before you know it. 

Leslie - thanks for starting us off and hope you put the hub to work had a nice w/e with the hub! Hope those aren't some kind of nasty caterpillar, like gypsy moth. If it is, I think you can get help from the state ag people:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/gypsymoth/

Jim - congrats on your big week! Glad to hear mother nature is cooperating in your area. 

Didn't get all that much running in while traveling, but did grab a nice trail run in Washington state, at the Hoh Rain Forest area of Olympic national park - that was incredible, and the rain took a break for most of the run!  Didn't get to run those great trails in Portland this time out, after having too much fun with my friends! Maybe next time...

Hope everyone else is dodging the tornadoes. Sad

Arla

Ex runner

Arla - I don't think it's for the gypsy moth.  This is a better pic of their markings.  They've now disbursed themselves throughout the tree.

I found an email for our local Ag Dept, so I emailed them a pic.

Hey - Sounds like you had a great time!  Too bad you overindulged and missed the trails at Forest Park. Wink  You'll have to put that on your "To Do" list, maybe when PCTR runs their 50k there in May.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Web worms?  I didn't see any webs in the pics you posted.  Have you seen webs in the trees on your property or on neighbors?

Ovr the weekend I camped ( I need a new tent), played some music with friends and did a 4 mile trail run (perfect weather Fri and Sat.).  I packed up and headed for home early Sunday.  Wind starting to gust.  30-40 mph all the live long day.  Worked on screening in the back porch and did some yard work with the LMD. 

Back to work today.

Jim....40 mpw........I can hear the confidence in your postings.  Nice going.

OM......congrats on all accounts. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

I believe those are called tent catepillars, and ortho fruit tree bug spray should do the trick

Thanks, Derrick.  Karin over on the daily said something about tent caterpillars, too, so I looked it up and I think that's what they are, too.  Now I need about 10 gallons of the spray and very big hose. Blush  Think I'll be talking to Don's Rent-All about a big sprayer.

Ev - Sounds like a fun weekend.

No workout this a.m., but plan to pool run for an hour after my doc appointment.  After yesterday's trial run walk, I feel confident I can do minor things like get around my kitchen on two feet, but I don't think I'm ready to be on my foot 100% for any extended period of time. *sigh*  I'm glad I gave it shot so I can discuss it further with my doc.

Short work week - Yea!!

Have a good one ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey all.

Omat- nice aboout your operation and good luck with the job.

Leslie- thanks for the quote and good luck making your tree better.

Arla- Congrats on completing another school year and welcome to summer.

Jim- Good job on the big week!

Ev- sounds like fun camping and jamming.

Cindy- nice pic!

Back from Scottsdale vacationing and visiting family. Hardly any running done as family plans came first. One early morning run at 97* on Saturday in Scottsdale, then only 45* the next day at the Grand Canyon. One of these days I'll get to run the trails there.

Nice 15er last night on the boards. Summer peeps are down and that means a lot of weaving on the boardwalk but we like that for the local economy.

Hi, Joe - I love AZ.  I could definitely live there.  Amazing temperature difference!  I, too, would love to run at the Grand Canyon someday.  Check out this guys report re the "Little Grand Canyon."

Me - 1 hr of pool running tonight.  Worked the backwards running with the dumb bells.  My arms are pooped.

Doc Appt - He was happy with the progress I've made.  I was totally honest with him about my trial walk yesterday and how things went, so he left it up to me to determine how/when, etc., with regard to eliminating the crutches.  Like he said, if I do something and it irritates things, back off.  I go back in 6 weeks for another progress update.  I asked him how long he thought it would be before I could run.  He said we have to take it month to month, but September at the earliest about right.  Everything I've read about tendon tears says it's a 6-8 month recovery period, and September 26 will be the 6-month mark.

I'm not gonna push it.  I can get around on one crutch pretty good for doing housework, etc., which is a big help.  Two crutches if I want to move at any speed.  So it's still pool running and stationary biking.

Adding to Last Night's Post . . . .

1 hr of strength training and core this a.m.  My arms are really tired.  Actually, I was going to make this a rest day, but I was laying there in bed (after feeding the cats) and thought, Les, don't be a wimp.  Get your a$$ out of bed and go workout.  Now!  I feel much better having done so.

MTA - Very cool video showing the earth's rotation that a friend me.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - sounds like you had a nice trip to AZ, and even got some runs in...not bad!

Ev - camping, trail running, "cross-training" all in IRC, sweet!

Hey Derrick!

Leslie - GREAT news on your progress! And just think how strong your upper body is going to be after all this. I found this from University of WA regarding tent caterpillars, seems they can put the hurt on a tree, but it's not all bad news:

"Benefits of a caterpillar outbreak can be numerous in a natural setting. While caterpillars are distasteful to most birds, some birds feed on them. When alders and other trees are defoliated, the shrubs and trees below receive increased sunlight, giving some of them a boost in growth. The eaten leaves pass through the caterpillar's body and emerge as little pellets which can break down easily, returning nutrients to the forest floor. Pupae provide nutritious meals for small mammals, and moths are eaten by birds and bats"

My brother is in town this week, I took him for a short hike and he's scaring me - huffing and puffing, OMG he's sooo out of shape and getting heavier again. I wish he'd take better care of himself but that doesn't seem to run in my family. Sad

Ex runner

Thanks for the info, Arla.  I talked to a lady I know at a local gardens shop.  She said a number of people have called her in the last couple of weeks with the same problem. Guess it's a banner year for the little critters.  I could use BT on them, but:

(1) BT is concentrated and would have to be mixed with water in one of those big pump sprayers.

(2) I have two apple trees and one plum tree, and all are probably about 15' tall.

(3) I'd have to climb up a ladder with said pump in hand to spray the trees, thus ensuring I'd be covered with the product, and such attempt would most likely result in me falling off the ladder and breaking a leg into a million pieces, and since I am home alone for a few more weeks, I'd be lying on the ground writhing in pain until the next work day (which would probably be a good two days away since I would do this over a weekend) until someone at work would suddenly realize I wasn't around and think, "Hey!  Where's Leslie??" then come looking for me, and since nobody else has a key to my house, they would have to call the Fire and/or Police Department, representatives of which would likely break down my front door, causing hundreds of dollars of damage, not to mention the cost of the ambulance ride, ER visit, and having to stump around on crutches for an additional 12 months; and

(4) The trees are well established, so the caterpillars won't kill them, just denude them and make 'em ugly for awhile.

Re your brother - That's a tough one.  I'm carefully waltzing around the idea of exercise to The Hub once he gets home.  One problem at a time.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Big grin

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Forced myself outta bed (okay, Ziggy forced me out of bed to feed the gang) for 45 mins of cycling whilst watching "When Harry Met Sally."  Love that movie.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - hee hee...I don't think you want to invite any more injuries!  Ya know, with all this cycling and pool time, maybe you could take up triathlon.

Yeah, the trick with getting someone to exercise is that they have to like it, at least a little bit, and that's something they just have to figure out on their own. Undecided

Ex runner

Ya know, with all this cycling and pool time, maybe you could take up triathlon.

The probably being (a) I can't swim, and (b) I'm bad enough on two feet, let alone two tires on a paved road with vehicles. Roll eyes   Althooooo - The idea of mountain biking has begun to intrigue me.  Maybe add it to my repertoire once I'm off crutches and can put pressure on my foot?  Dunno . . . . .

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Well Leslie I have to hand it to you for simply moving and keeping busy and having a bunch of fortitude. Hang in there kid.

Nice 77* with very low humidity tonight. A few with the Budster, then a 6er without. Planning on running in Reno in a couple of weeks and my friend out there says that many of the higher trails he normally runs are still covered with snow.