Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 08/21 (Read 375 times)

If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.  -- Henry David Thoreau

Welcome to a new week -

50 min of "Stable Body" this a.m. (core/strength w/stability ball and included a 5 min wu/cd), followed by 30 min on the stationary bike.  I was sorely disappointed at how "weak" I was in the weight lifting arena with this one.  I guess it's been awhile since I did the Stable Body DVD, and it showed. Black eye 

I'm trying to get back into some kind of aggressive cardio workout plan, because it doesn't look like I'll be moving along very fast with the foot.  Everything seems to be working against me getting to the pool, so it'll be a lot of stationary biking (about which my butt is not too happy).  I like my MAT guy a lot, but ever since he worked on me on Friday, my foot has been a bit unhappy.  So I'll think I'll be easing off the foot mobilization a bit this week in the hopes of being able to extend my Saturday walk to 12 or 13 miles.

Have a good week, peeps ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - you should call your MAT guy about the foot, see if that's normal. Otherwise, it really does sound like you're doing great, 11miles!

Ev - your poor toe Joking

Cindy - great pics and funny story!

Gotta go, first day of school, busy! At least I'm getting my runs in!

Ex runner

flatland mountaineer

Hi all, about 26 for last week. I, got in a 13.11 lr yesterday for no particular reason,. first half since the Sandhills race. I don't really have any races planned, still have some hopes of going to the mountains this summer. My whining about my workload introduced some bad karma in the universe and we lost about 25% of our corn to hail last thursday. It just sucks, my best stuff....but if you farm here it is part of it. Sunday Lynda's mom had a mnor (if there is such a thing) stroke... So guess there has been better wks round here.

Arla school already..... yuk!

Cindy loved the boat song but I'm a parrothead from way back. Funny bout the runner girl. Kinda like the kid at the gas station that told me I needed to get Lynda's car under cover on our way to the hospital (storm warnings last nite). I about asked him what I should do about our crops in the fields........ Guessing TRRis now or very soon?

Ev and Leslie all small motors except Honda suck most of the time. It's just a law of nature.........

Leslie smart to cut yourself some slack, agree with Arla on asking the matt guy if that is normal.

Joe .....sailing, take me away....... sorry for the earworm, good job on the 40+ in 4.

Carol, wow really hitting your stride, stroke, pedal pump with the tri thing! You'll being doing half Iron man's soon. Dessa Lou is doing fine. Lynda will probably run a 10k race at the fair this weekend as Jonathan puts it on and we try and support him. I am so impressed with how well you have take to the tri's!!

my trucker buddy asleep in the passenger seat.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hi all-

Jim- healing vibes to Lynda's Mom, hope she's ok. Too bad about your corn but good job getting your runs in.

Leslie- thanks for the quote. hopefully the foot comes along but it seems as though your attitude is good. Just take it easy so as not to slow the healing.

Arla- good luck with the school year!

Carol- good looking workouts for you and I hope your streak of 100* days has ended. Those peeps that root for the Cowboys, well, never mind.

Cindy- thanks for the sailing tune. Fits the bill quite nicely.

So a summer packed with traveling is winding down and now my eyes are on Lowell, Mass for my next marathon. Going to try to not be so obsessed with big mileage numbers this training round and go for some more speed work. A nice rainy 8er on the boards last night. Warmup then some medium tempo's in the 8:30 range, then the last mile at 7:40 pace. Legs feel fresh after 4 days off!

Top 'O the World!

Ahh, football season!......was that the Cowboys last wknd!?!? hmmmm....I'm just gonna say that we haven't figured out which quarterback to keep yet...I say all 3!~

Yeah. Jim...heading up to BV on Friday...when exactly isn't yet dialed in...gotta get a final on when  to pick up my checkpoint truck, lost an RV driver, have a therapist in Springs who suddenly needs a ride on SAT am! Another in Edwards, who WANTS picked up on Friday am...but, whom I'm sure we're shuttling along btwn 3, maybe 4 of us (everyone can do a chunk)....Doug seems to be sitting just fine right now...maybe a little nervous - finally! Wink  I'm thinking that I won't be able to do the crew run on Weds...I'm working on it but, well....I'm thinking it was most probably a grade 2 strain & I shouldn't (wisely) be looking at a 14 mile trail run just yet. ~  Sorry you're not missing the hail!!!  {{Prayers for Lynda's Mom}}

Hey Carol!  hmmm, seems to me that I started out swimming & cycling - yeeaarrrss ago...but nothing serious....& whilst I'm not afraid of water, I'm not the most efficient!! Def could use some coaching! Wink  & on the cycling front, my "ride" is 20 yr old Giant Yukon hybrid mtn bike....not very light nor fast, but most def. get a great workout on it! Thinking if I keep pushing what I'm doing, I could do one of our cheesey foothills tri's!  http://www.lakewood.org/bearable/barhome2.html   ~ just need to learn a thing called, orienteering!? Big grin

Yeah, School's back ~ or close, in every quadrant around here too.  The bike paths seem a little quieter after 8am! Hope you have a great year, Arla!

Leslie - I'd ask, but there usually is a bit of DOMS type adjustment pain/discomfort after a deep session for anywher from a few hrs to a few days...it does help realign the collagen & such for healing...do your normal hot/cold stuff & keep wiggling it. ...you probably would have been further along to have been getting some treatments all along....although, it does cost to do that.

Ref Leadville 100 MTB, some therapist friends & I were adjacent to the Med Tent, which was verrrry busy!! for a brisk 5-6 hrs of massage work. It was a tough course in warmer than normal conditions! 77* at 10,500' can be brutal! ~ for the riders! it was actually quite pleasant for crew. Squalls were moving in as we were tearing down...just stuffed the last of the equipment into the trucks as it opened up for a good hard rain - which was blessedly needed. The Leadville 100 Trail Run is this coming wknd. TRR & Leadville share a section of trail roughly 24 hrs apart.

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - sending good thoughts for you and Lynda and mom-in-law. Yes, there are minor strokes, even events called "mini-strokes" that are so small people are only vaguely aware of them. Rotten news about the hail. Is it possible to have insurance for that? Hopefully you'll still be ok, hopefully grain prices are still pretty strong? Good running there, in light of all that.

Joe - Baystate? Close to Chicago, we'll be training in parallel. Feel like I'm behind in terms of mileage here, but have been getting some quality tempo runs in. Interesting how those can be kinda fun one day, and absolute misery another.

Carol - I must have missed your posting about your tri adventures, sounds like it's really coming along!

Hey to ev and Leslie and Stumpy...

Mtn - hate to be the skeptical, nerdy scientist type, and not to pick on you, but what does it mean to "realign collagen"??? Collagen in most tissues is not lined up, it's all over the place so that our tissues can stretch in three dimensions:

In tendons and ligaments, it is constrained to being lined up, so that tendons and ligaments only stretch in one plane:

Collagen is not an important protein in muscle.

So what is really happening here? I am genuinely curious.

OK, back to being a non-geek Big grin...nice early am tempo run. They are going much better than last fall, which makes me dream of running a PR in Chicago, weather allowing. I can dream...

Ex runner

Yea!  People are back!!

Jim - Healing prayers for Lynda's mom.  And so sorry to hear about the crop.  I know it's part of the "game," but I'm sure that's not a great help when you see your hard work destroyed.  Glad you guys are getting some tense releasing miles in, of nothing else.

Joe and Arla paralleling their training!  This should be fun to watch. Smile

Cindy going crazy as always.  Best of luck to Doug.  He needs to write a race report.  Just sayin' . . . Evil

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about my foot, but right now things are sort of piling up again.  There's still a big legal issue hanging over our heads, and the longer we go without hearing from Shorty's attorney, the more frightened I get.  But working in a law office, I  know he'll call when he hears something.  I could just really use some good news for once.  Deep breaths, deep breaths . . . and this too shall pass . . .

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Arla said,

Ev - your poor toe Joking

OK.....just to set the story straight.....the toe story was all made up.  The toe is fine, I nevr kicked the chainsaw, I thought about kicking the chainsaw.  It was all just a funny joke.    I feel much better getting that off my chest. 

Jim said,

Ev and Leslie all small motors except Honda suck most of the time. It's just a law of nature.........

Thank goodness.....I feel much better knowing this.  Thank Jim!

Arla said,

OK, back to being a non-geek Big grin...

Lucky for you, you have that capability. Big grin

Joe said,

Those peeps that root for the Cowboys, well, never mind.

I took a look at the schedule.  Giants and Cowboys don't play each othr till way late in the season.  Both divisional games against each othr are scheduled pretty close togethr.   Just odd I guess.   Anyway, nevr mind!    Good luck.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Nice post Ev! I always wondered how to do that multi-quote thing. Glad both your toe and chest are feeling bettr.

Nice slow 8er tonight. Don't know the pace because my new fangled high price Garmin 610 was low on battery after it was charged and turned off?! WTH?! It knows nothing about elevation change though I think I read somewhere about a firmware upgrade. It is considerably smaller than my old FR305. See how it goes....

1. I've always wondered how to do the multiple quotes, too.

2. I echo Ev - Thanks for the info, Jim.  Now I don't feel like such a wimp.

3. Glad Ev's toe is none the worse for the imagined wear.

4. I find Arla's "geekiness" interesting . . . 99.999% of the time. Wink

50 min "Ripped Body" DVD (included 5 min wu/cd) this a.m., which is a core/strength kettle bell workout.  I don't have KB's, though, so I have to improvise with dumb bells.  I think they work just fine.  One of the toughest moves is the Turkish Get-Up.  I have a really hard time keeping my arm straight.  It's amazing how much core you have to engage to do this move.  We also did burpees, which I am sort of improvising a bit because of my foot.  The entire DVD is a challenge and I really enjoyed it.  This first time I did this DVD, my butt and thighs felt it for a couple of days.  That's when you know it's working!

Got to see Shorty last night.  His mood was a bit brighter and we did quite a bit of laughing.  It was nice, although the half hour went by way too quickly.  He and two others when to an in-jail church service Monday evening.  He really enjoyed it and is looking forward to going again next week.  This made me Smile.  It's always hard leaving there, and I usually end up crying after I get in the elevator.  It won't get easier, but I hope I'm able to deal with it better as time goes on.

On a brighter note - I locked myself out of the house Monday night.  We have a slider to our backyard.  I went out to do . . . something.  I can't even remember what now.  Anyway, I had most of the cats inside, so I slid the door closed almost all the way so they couldn't out.  As I'm doing that, I hear a noise and look at the door.  Well, the dowel we use to block the slider closed had slid down.  It's been so long since we've used it, I had completely forgotten about it.  So there I am in my PJs looking at the slider and thinking, "Well now, isn't this a pickle.  Don't panic.  There's a solution.  Think."  I was trying to remember the phone number of a friend who has a key and who I could call from the neighbor's house, but nothing.  Nothing but blank space.  Am I going to have to break a window to get in?  Then I remembered I had opened a couple of the bigger windows.  Yea!!  Yanked off the screen and hauled my butt up and over the edge, trying to not break of the window ledge.  Wilson the Wonder Kitty was looking at me like Shocked!  Are you crazy?!?

I now have a key securely hidden in a Ziploc baggie in my back yard. Black eye

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

On a brighter note - I locked myself out of the house Monday night. 

I did the very same thing a couple of weeks ago. I could look through the front door window and see my keys on the stand. There Buddy sat, looking at me looking at him. Come on Buddy , I said, just turn that little knob with your nose please, and let me in. No dice. Ended up crawling in the bathroom window.

Nice 14er last night. All the rest I had is messing with me. Waking up to a bit of a barking pattella tendon. Just the first few steps and then it's ok. Should probably be icing it after my runs.

Joe - I am now trying to teach Wilson to flip the latch on the slider. Big grin

Ice that PT.

30 min on the stat bike this a.m.  My stationary bike is a mountain bike on a trainer with the front wheel propped up on a piece of wood to make the bike more horizontal.  I happened to look at my reflection in the window this morning, and my form was terrible!  Back all rounded, shoulders hunched.  No wonder I screwed my back up a few weeks ago when I was riding on the road.  Good grief!

Bonkos at my house tonight.  Hope the dice are good to me and I win the $60!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Just bumpin' us up in case anybody is looking for us.

I'm coughing my lungs up. 

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance