Masters Running

Running days are over (for now) (Read 62 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi running friends!!   I finally went to the podiatrist for my foot pain and heard things that I expected, such as bone spur on big toe, arthritis, etc. which is all fixable, somewhat, but what I didn't expect to hear is that there is damage to the tendon that holds the two little sesamoid bones under my right big toe.    These two bones are suppose to be right next to each other in the tendon and somewhere along the line I injured myself and one is higher than the other....I can feel it in the pad of my big toe.   She really does not want to do surgery at this point, that is kind of a last resort.   I have orhtotics on order and we hope that aleviates the pain so that I can at least walk longer distances in lieu of running.    She didn't totally rule out running, but there is no way I can do it now.     So, we take it a "step" at a time.

I wanted to stop by and wish everyone a very Mery Christmas and Happy New Year!      I have a feeling, I'll be back....at least I hope so!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mike E

MM #5615

I hope so, too, Mary.

...I'm sorry hopeful//...............Rest and Heal...............

and

CrossTrain like a WildPerson///////////..........keep us posted

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Mary, happy holidays to you. I know what you're going through. For the last 6 months I've been struggling with injuries and arthritis and could barely walk at first. I'm now back to long walks and short,slow runs. Hope you're back to it soon.

Marj and I miss your dog pictures.

Tramps

Hope you're able to get back to it in the new year.

Best to you.

Be safe. Be kind.

A merry Christmas to you too! (Does it count if you are not Christian? What if you married one? Oh so many questions!) Back on topic, take it from me never say die! If you persist you will run once again!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Here's hoping for good results whatever course you have to take.  None of it sounds like fun, but sure hope you'll be running again.

BTW, your Christmas picture of the dogs is amazingly cute.  You COULD still drop by and give us our cow puppy fix next litter, you know.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Jlynne

Awww Mary, that really stinks! But please, don't let that stop you from posting. We've all be on the DL.  It's been over a year for me and I'm still not back to where I would like to be. We really miss you, and we really miss the doggie pictures. Oh - and the pond pictures too!

Good luck with your recovery and please pop in when you have time.

Merry Christmas friend!

Maniac 505

Mary:  so sorry to read this.  please keep stoping by.  I'm hoping so much this will soon resolve

Mariposai

BTW, your Christmas picture of the dogs is amazingly cute.  You COULD still drop by and give us our cow puppy fix next litter, you know.

I second that!

We do miss you Mary. Running or not your posts give us encouragement and smiles.

Of course you will be back!

Just take care of yourself and be patient!

Feliz Navidad to you too, mi amiga!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

We miss you, Mary!  I hope you're back to running before too much longer, or that you can at least do some cross training that you enjoy.  Merry Christmas to you and your human and dog family members!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Mary, thanks so much for the update. I've been seeing your doggie pictures and posts on FB but have wondered how you are. We do miss you here, you're one of our original "foundation" posters, you do realize!! Glad to hear nothing is broken. Believe me, the foot is amazingly resilient in adapting to the demands. I have a lump of scar tissue that sure takes me out of contention for sexy feet (heh... never was a contender!) but it's made it so that I can run pain free. So... there is hope! My problem (like Opie's, and I think enkephalin) is metatarsalgia, but it's a similar misalignment of tendons and/or bones so not un-related. Hope you can recover soon and get back to running soon!

Mary - Thanks for letting us know what's going on.  Will keep you in my prayers for healing.

In the meantime, I echo the sentiments that we'd still love to hear from you and see updates on the doggies.  Love the Christmas picture!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family ~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

We miss you, Mary!  I hope you're back to running before too much longer, or that you can at least do some cross training that you enjoy.  Merry Christmas to you and your human and dog family members!

I second that, Mary. I hope that you are able to return to running too. But if not, I hope that you find another activity that painlessly meets all your needs and wants. Remember that I didn't start out wanting to be a racewalker, but it has turned out well for me. So keep your options open, and do what you can to keep yourself fit and healthy and happy.

And please DO keep popping in to let us know what you and the dogs are up to!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Merry Christmas Mary!!  I hope the orthotics really help with the pain and that you heal quickly!!

denise