Masters Running

Wednesday from South WEST Florida 1.28.15 (Read 36 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin!

Wake up sleepy heads!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

OK, did that to get a thread going.  Yes indeed!  I worked for WESTERN MA Legal Services (WMLS) for over a decade.  We fought continually with GBLS (Greater Boston Legal Services) to have statewide meetings at alternating sites, but the best we could do was to get them to agree to occasional meetings in Worcester.  When that happened, half or more of the Boston people wouldn't deign to attend.  And once we in the western climbs were almost wiped out by a summer storm (tornado) in the 90s, the Nat'l Weather Service switched our weather hub from Boston to Albany.   This is because people in Boston think the state ends, as Kevin observed, at 495.  There's a whole accredited college, Western New England College, in Springfield.

So western New Englanders are a leetle sensitive, be very aware.

Pshew!  Well, I wanted to post awards on FB for best storm coverage (best meal photos, most creative use of a snow day, etc.) but just couldn't decide.  Y'all are rugged, even youse out dere in Boston.  (ps I loved the new, young weather guy out in front of the State house on the weather channel.)

In the meanwhile, I have my spring training tickets!

Sub 10 minute miles (6 of 'em!) for me in sub-60 degrees....brrrr......

Good to know horseradish loses its oomph when cooked.

Greta hump days, and Tramps, see you in Reston!  We get use of the high school for before and after and it's a lovely bunch of folks.  See you in a few months then??

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

coastwalker

Mornin' Aamos and everyone to follow!

OK, so I won't get into the northern vs. southern New England thingy...

I spent hours clearing snow yesterday afternoon, and only stopped when A) it was starting to get dark, B) my roof rake came apart with the rake portion still on the roof, and C) my arms felt like they were going to fall off. Roof rake? Yep: the way the wind hits our house, we get 3-4 ft. drifts on the roof, and the roof is wide and not steep enough for the snow to roll off. A few years ago there was enough snow up there that a rafter tail started coming through the ceiling below. We've since had the roof reinforced, but when snow starts to pile up, I need to get as much off the roof as I can.

We got enough additional snow and wind overnight that I had to get the snowblower out again this morning to clear anywhere from a few inches to 2 ft. drifts from the driveway. I cleared enough to get out of the driveway, and will go back later today to do the rest of the driveway and the walks. I have to get them all cleared before Friday's predicted snow starts.

No workouts other than snow clearing today.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

My old stomping grounds....

...which wasn't called that when I was a kid but...you know...tourism..

Amy--definitely thinking about it and will decide soon.

Nippy 21F with a good stiff wind this morning for an EZ 5-miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

I love horseradish! Just made a Pork Butt Roast Monday. Perfect marriage.

6.85 miles on the streets.

Flyby post.

New skirt in town

Mmmm...horseradish!  Pork butt!  All this snow makes me hungry for savory goodies like this.

I was able to get to my gym where I spent 90 minutes on the elliptical, 45 min of which had my HR in the mid 150-s.  I took it easier at the start and the finish.  I'm still on a steady diet of running only every other day, so yesterday's run pegged me at elliptical work today.  It's good to be back in the office, though, and not sitting around bored, wondering what's in the refrigerator for a snack...

Bostonians had some priorities for shoveling during yesterday's storm...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Hi guys!  Glad everyone's getting shovelled out.

Wouldn't you know that Toronto STILL has no snow.

4 TM miles this morning with 6X 400m intervals up to an 8:30 pace. OK, real slow by most standards around here, but it's a good start for me.

Got talking to a new guy on the TM next to me. Turns out he's an ultra and tri guy whose recovering from a back injury. Yay, someone else to yak with about running!

Enjoy the day, everyone!!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Dave59

My hip was sore after Sunday's half on ice but it has been a little better each day. I ran an easy 2, the last couple mornings.

Speaking of blizzards, thanks to Facebook I was reminded that 38 years ago today the blizzard of 77 started in Buffalo at noon on a Friday. I was a senor in high school and had the time of my life.

The National Guard landed snow removal equipment at the Niagara Falls airport and dug their way to Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977

Tramps

Bostonians had some priorities for shoveling during yesterday's storm...

--Robin

Great pic.  I tweeted it.

Yeah because of my job I'm a Twit.

No wait.

Be safe. Be kind.

. . . . B) my roof rake came apart with the rake portion still on the roof . . .

Sounds like as good a reason as there may be to stop raking the snow.

In 1977, I was 11 years old.  . . . sorry, Dave.

30 min of stat biking this a.m. at average intensity (I'm in a cutback week) with the last 3 min hard.  I've been riding my stationary bike once a week for a couple of months now, and my butt still isn't used to that darn seat.

Well, it sounds like the collapse of civilization has begun.  Okay - maybe it's not that dire, but I fear The Flu Bug is starting its run around our office, and, of course, it has hit home.  Our dept secretary is out today after throwing up a few times night before last.  She came to work yesterday, but was looking a tad pale.  The Hub is sounding more human today, but he looked like total crap when I got home last night.  I'm diligently trying to remember to not pick my nose or stick my fingers in my eyes in the hopes of not getting any of this.  Bleck!

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Did the first of my many walks this morning. The sidewalks on the main streets are mostly shoveled except for some corners and the sun is out but cold. Saw only one runner. I'd rather walk today and save my running for the next few days until we leave for Arizona on Tuesday.

King of PhotoShop

Leaders in the clubhouse for great photos on FB yesterday are Robin and LaT.  Great shots of shoveling and of course dogs.

Still a bit painful in the lower right butt but making progress with lots of strength exercises, and I have a bunch of them too.  But I got in about 6 this morning without a lot of discomfort. I haven't raced since the Dallas Marathon Half, so the Saint and I may go to Plano on Saturday and run a club race tenK, me just cruising it and she racing.  Miss my racing friends.

Off to Tampa tomorrow, although not seeking good weather.  It's clear and 70's again here today.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Robin - great picture!

Dave - I remember the blizzard of 1977, although I was 12 at the time.  The newspapers had just begun using color ink, and I remember the big colorful headlines.  Plus, my stepmom was a supervisor at Dayton Newspapers, Inc. (while she worked through law school) and one of her carriers slipped in his driveway and broke a leg.  She got me up at 3am to help her deliver his route in downtown Dayton.  Pretty cool wandering through the silent high-rise office buildings in the wee hours.

Short intervals on the TM this morning, about 30 minutes embedded in a 6.25 mile workout.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New skirt in town

They found the fellow who shoveled off the Boston Marathon finish line! http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2015/01/28/person-shoveled-boston-marathon-finish-line-blizzard/

"Laudani told Boston, “I only did it to send a message…I love the Boston Marathon and everything it stands for, the finish line doesn’t deserve to be covered in snow.”

He then added, “I think it’s cool that so many people feel the same way, but I saw the word ‘hero’ being tossed around and that I don’t like. I’m no hero, I’m just a nut who loves the marathon. The real heroes are the people who were out there clearing the streets and sidewalks, the [Boston Police Department], and the [Boston Fire Department] who risk their lives every day to keep people safe.”

Bravo, Chris.

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Very warming photo in all the snow Robin, especially with all the sorry portrayals of humanity in the press nowadays. However, I'm with rochie about never dreaming of a W/E distinction in MA, . . . .maybe in erika-land where there's southeast, westward, etc. but the distance between 'em is like MA and FL, if not CA..

With the Shinkansen bullet trains celebrating 50 years of carrying over a billion fatality-free passengers at their current government-imposed speed limit of 200mph mostly between Tokyo and Osaka (about like NYC and WDC but now all over the country), they would sure seem ideal or NYC  - WDC, etc.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A bullet train passes below Mt. Fuji in Japan.

Rochie - however, i've heard there's a university in Michigan with a school song

as the "champions of the west" or something else now as totally ridiculous..

ps - why are you guys in the midwest instead of mideast which is a lot closer?

not as long as the ancient one but me too for 1977 (34yo) when I ran a marathon with some crazy skier friends in an erika-land winter so warm there was not enough snow for the xc races I loved in those days and the alpine slopes were only open on a limited basis.  The marathon was as a lark, never dreaming to be still a part of my life 38 years later.. I hope eveyone else is too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)