Masters Running

friday the fourth (Read 39 times)

mrrun

Morning all,

I couldn't believe how dark it was at 5:30, but the sun did rise and I got to see the crews at work on the charles - don't think they were a ufo.  another runner also stopped to take the same picture, but she was too young to post on RA.

have  great long w/e and fleet feet to all racers,

marj

coastwalker

Mornin' Marj, and everyone else.

Nice shot o' the Charles, Marj! It was even darker out at 4:15 this morning, but less so than it might have been because we still had half of that moon thingy (not a UFO) overhead.

I lacked luster and sproinkiness this morning, perhaps just tired from a trying week. So I only managed a scootch over 4 RW miles, including a brief detour when I wasn't sure if what I was seeing up ahead was a black cat or a skunk. It proved to be stripeless, but one can't be too careful about these things.

Have a greta weekend (I hope it is a 3-dayer for everyone), and best wishes to Ilene, Tet, and Runnerclay in their races over the weekend.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning good people! Great picture Marj - we've had a couple of wonderful trips to Boston and running along the Charles was one of the highlights. My niece was on the crew team for the University of Wisconsin - Madison. That girl was strong!

Sorry you're tuckered out Jay, though I'm not surprised with the schedule you keep! I hope there's some R&R in your weekend.

6.5 miles for me this morning, overcast and 65° but very humid. We live not too far from a park, so on the way home I stopped to do the "monkey bars" a couple of times. Got the Tough Mudder next weekend. I sure hope it cools off before then, or they'll be hauling my sorry carcass off the course on a stretcher

Enjoy the holiday weekend everyone!

Beautiful photo Marj!! I haven't run along the Charles all summer

denise

King of PhotoShop

Great picture to start off today's thread Marge. Thank you.  Hello Henry.

A tough week for me in terms of keeping up here so I have no idea what's going on.  Yesterday I worked in Omaha and just ran local streets in the middle of the city.  Then today the Saint and I walked/jogged a bit in the park as she is injured still.  I may race tomorrow, not to be highly competitive but because it's one of my clubs and it's fun to see my friends.

After taking the summer off, I start my column back with the Dallas Morning News on Monday.  Will be fun to get back into it.  Spareribs

mornin' guys//.................tree service in my yard, YARD SALES on every corner, and school out early

call it a REST DAY

============

good work-out at my 1st PT class

the PT is buddies with Pickles so she told me not to over-do it.

can't imagine who she heard that from

multiple rubber bands and exercise papers all over the place

...................good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hey, Folks - I just read your condolences.  Thank you.  It's been a very tough 2 months, but we finally were able to get answers to questions, and we knew that letting him go was the right thing to do. We thank God he was somewhat coherent the last two days his grandkids were able to spend with him, and that once my brother and I made the decision to stop dialysis, he was gone within a couple of days.  We found out he had had many, many TIA's over the last two months, would never recover from them and would basically be bed-ridden and on dialysis 3-4 times a week.  Not the life my dad would want or that we would want for him.  It hurts like crazy, but my dad was a strong Christian man, and we know he is in heaven and after 26 years of separation, reunited with my mom.  That's a reunion I would have loved to have seen!

So now, after 2 months of very little exercise, I'm working my way back into things.  I did a stationary bike workout on Monday, ran 3 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles yesterday, and did some core/strength training this morning . . . . . Egads!!  Tomorrow I'll hit the trails for 5 miles and try to survive.

Thank you all for your support these last two months.  It's meant a lot to me knowing you were rooting for us even when I wasn't in here posting much.

Have a great weekend, friends ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya all!  very nice photo, marj.....was thinking of you this morning on the way to work, just 'cuz.  Keep an eye on the Somerville sign up news in case stumps is snoozing.

OK, I'm real good with the UFO as UFO.  (Note I did not post right away as I wanted to give you the "official" line on it.)  Yay, team!

Jay--not to mention, rabid raccoons.  Yuk.  Would not want to do those shots.

Glad you're back, Leslie.

Listening to America's Test Kitchen.  Chris just bonked on pancake syrup, heh heh.  I betcha twocat may have a notion of what I'm referencing.

Hey MikeEeeeeee........am officially in the MCM; my chum transferred her bib to me yesterday.  So make sure you look good from the back, got that?

I just poked along for 6 moseying miles this am as I did 9 with a bridge over and back last night partially with Speedsters.  (i.e., not all went over the bridge).    So we'll see about a 5K tomorrow.

happy Weekending,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I always enjoy how Marj & Henrun seem to vacation where they live.

SteveP, I'll be in the Ann Arbor neighborhood for the football game between the Mighty Beavers* and the Wolverines.  I'm going there with 7 of my family members who have ties to Ann Arbor.  Woot!  *I am not an Oregon State University Beaver, but some of my family members are, including Lil' Econo.  So I have to wear orange & black for that game; so wrong.  In Oregon, of course, one cheers for the home state team if the game is against a nefarious foe like Michigan.

Random: When I run or walk I see black hair rubberbands (the coated kind).  Everywhere.  I think -- did I drop that?  This is not as exciting as Egret's oranges.

2 little miles.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Random: When I run or walk I see black hair rubberbands (the coated kind).  Everywhere.  I think -- did I drop that?  This is not as exciting as Egret's oranges.

2 little miles.

Now that you mention it, i do see a lot of those on the ground.  Being follicularly challenged, I've never had to worry about them--do they just shoot off and you don't know?  Or you have so many of them that once it hits the ground, you're on to the next one?  Curious.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Nice pic marj. Those guys in the white boat seem to be doing it wrong. They're not rowing. Must be a Boston thing.

Good to see you back Leslie.

Good luck at MCM Amy. One of my favorite races

Some good miles going into the long weekend. Good to see.

Got 5 easy at lunch and its still humid.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

I am so glad Econo is posting here again! Hi Renee! <waving madly>

{{Leslie}} Sure wish I could do that in person. Your mom and dad raised some amazing kids.

Lovely picture, Marj! Yes, vacationing where they live, I love it!

Yeah Amy, that looked kinda UFO'ish to me, too. But what do I know? We have rocket blasts a lot here in the winter, pretty cool stuff.

Went to the dentist this morning to repair a broken crown and possibly crown a cracked tooth in front of it. Turns out the crack wasn't too deep (they can't ever tell till they get in there) and they were able to fill it with composite. Yay! But, the broken crown tooth seems to have some problem in the bone, like an abscess or something so they left that one alone and I got a referral to the endodontist instead. No yay there. Rats, I was so hoping to have this all fixed up before I leave later this month. Now, who knows?

Gotta take DS1 to the sports med doc this morning. He hurt himself water skiing when on vacation with his GF and is not getting better. So... my numb mouth and I will take him to his appointment. Not sure why I bothered coming in to work today...

Our weekend looks like it'll be postcard perfect! I'll run 5 or so today, something tomorrow and then tackle Ester Dome again on Sunday for my last big long tough workout. Gonna feel weird to taper, so maybe I won't really. Sort of.

mrrun

Nice pic marj. Those guys in the white boat seem to be doing it wrong. They're not rowing. Must be a Boston thing.

the guys (or gals) in the white boats are the teachers.  they use megaphones to correct/praise the rowers.

mid-october is the Head of the Charles Regatta with competitors of all ages from all over - and it's FREE to watch!

Now that you mention it, i do see a lot of those on the ground.  Being follicularly challenged, I've never had to worry about them--do they just shoot off and you don't know?  Or you have so many of them that once it hits the ground, you're on to the next one?  Curious.

I don't think I shared with you guys, but we finally got our visas approved (after 3 months of trying) and we're officially going to Zimbabwe in October!!  Woo hoo!!! We are now in the process of getting all our vaccinations.  Holy cow, but they're expensive!

Why Zimbabwe, you ask?  A couple who we have been friends with for years are in the service, and he is the head US military attache to Zimbabwe.  Using our frequent flier miles, we were able to get our round trip tickets for "free," except for taxes.  I say "free" 'cause a good amount of those miles are from credit card charges over the last 20+ years and this is the first time we've used them.

Are we excited?  Yes!!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I always enjoy how Marj & Henrun seem to vacation where they live.

+1

Leslie - Zimbabwe - cool!

Erika - ouch!

Apparently the number one thing married couples fight about is money.  I guess I can vouch for that.  Every fight we have ever had ends up with DH bringing up that he makes more money than me.  Doesn't matter what we are fighting about, that is what he ends up with.  Ridiculous.

20 miles for me today in 72-80 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."