Masters Running

The Hump Day Daily: 12.17.14 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Interesting discussion yesterday about coaching, training, working, Garmining, traveling and cookies (not the internet kind - the good, eating kind!). 2K- the BeeGees aren't my style of listening music at all, but they are good for a workout.

We had our wrap-up for the Seacoast Half last night. It is always bittersweet to be able to (fortunately) celebrate some success, and also to kiss all the work we did this year goodbye and start pointing toward next year's race. So it goes.

I woke at 3:58 this morning, fed the cat, and then got back into bed 'cause I was tired. But after about 15 minutes I realized that I wasn't going to get back to sleep, so I dragged my sorry butt out of bed again, got dressed, and headed outside. It was raining lightly, but wasn't bad at all. After a mile, the light rain became a shower, which became a downpour. But I still did 5.3 RW miles of fartleks, and got home a bit fatigued, and completely soaked. A hot shower felt great, and now I'm heading out to BWB (reminder: Breakfast With the Boss).

Have a greta Hump Day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hi Jay and all to follow.

Way to get out of bed and get something done.

Bee Gees for workout music. Hmmm. Didn't think of that.

3rd day of doubles for me. Legs are getting that good tired feeling. Looks like the cold temps are in for a bit here in Indy. Winter is here and can't read a calendar.

Enjoy the day.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

C-R. I know what you mean. Nothing beats the feeling of tired legs! Well, on 2nd thought I can come up with quite a few but in relation to running and fitness...yeah Smile

6.91 miles of a clear cold sky. What a change from yesterday.

We just had another coffee pot bite the dust this morning. This is like 3 in 18 months and they ain't the exactly the cheap ones. I'm at a cross roads...I make coffee at 4am. DW isn't having a cup until 6ish and she likes it fresh. The last two pots brewed into a thermos that kept the coffee nice and fresh rather than the el cheapo glass carafe with the open top. I have a Keurig that we picked up at a garage sale only used for a few weeks...It's not exactly the most efficient way to brew coffee for my consumption.

A cheap one with a nice thermos might be the way to go.

Dave59

I am going to run to the gym so I can try out my new Garmin 910, and see what the mood is like at the gym.  They close on Saturday and reopen on 1/5 under the new name.  No word yet if my existing membership will be honored.

The Texas office never called last night. At 10pm they tried to do something on the system and it failed.  Roll eyes  Now we have a meeting sometime this morning. Roll eyes  Roll eyes

mta:  Ran 3.12 with a stop at the gym on the way by.  30° and a wicked west wind.  And I think I got Texas working.  Sometimes I think I am a genius (but when I act up I have Cindy to remind me that I am human.)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I woke at 3:58 this morning, fed the cat, and then got back into bed 'cause I was tired. But after about 15 minutes I realized that I wasn't going to get back to sleep, so I dragged my sorry butt out of bed again, got dressed, and headed outside.

good job jay and everyone else who's running today instead of tapering for a weekend marathon to wrap up the running year with a lot of similarly-minded friends from over the ages.

. . . . How can you stop the rain from falling down?

. . . . How can you stop the sun from shining?
            . . . . Same as the world goes round-and-round,

. . . . Nothin'  stops jay from his early risin'.

ps - I'm with Holly's  yesterday thought:  mariposai couldn't make a cookie, or anything else,  I wouldn't eat.   . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

ribs, good job by The Saint (and you) in the half.  jlynne, creating memories with the grand kids is special.  Nice long run for Mike.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and windy.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:05 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Nobody gets too much heaven no more.  It's much harder to come by.  I'm waitin' in line.

Thanks Tom.  We had fun.

Still a bit tired. Ran 3 this morning at easy pace, but that was all I could handle. Tomorrow is another day.   Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo - we buy cheap Mr. Coffee coffeemakers, and then replace them about once a year.  I don't know how you are going through so many so quickly when they are the pricey ones.  DH and I don't like the same coffee, so I brew my 16 oz cup at 5am and turn off the pot, then DH brews his 16-oz cup at 5:30am.....I still believe that brewed coffee tastes much better than Kuerig.

4 miles for me this morning and then I ran out of time.  I am hoping to run a few more this evening.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bee Gees for workout music. Hmmm. Didn't think of that.

Uh uh uh uh stayin' alive, stayin' alive. Or: when you lose control and you got no soul tragedy, tragedy.  I can just see John Travolta in that white leisure suit. Wow, that guy could dance.

I hear what you're saying about coffee pots, Slo. We splurged and bought a Cuisinart that dispensed the coffee right from the maker (no carafe needed). It worked really well and kept the coffee hot - for about 3 months anyway - then the dispenser wouldn't stop dispensing and we had coffee all over our kitchen counter. I, too, would love some suggestions on a good one that keeps coffee really hot. And I don't want a machine that takes up half my kitchen, either.

Gosh Ribs - sorry you're still not your energetic self these days. I may have missed it, but did you get any results from the tests they took?

5 miles on the elliptical after work and 30 minutes of weights and core. There are a few advantages to being employed by the Y. When I leave my job for the day, I don't have to go very far work out

Dave59

We love the Keurig.  Greatest invention since pizza.  Cindy likes flavored coffee and I like plain (most the time.)

C-R

We just had another coffee pot bite the dust this morning. This is like 3 in 18 months and they ain't the exactly the cheap ones. I'm at a cross roads...I make coffee at 4am. DW isn't having a cup until 6ish and she likes it fresh. The last two pots brewed into a thermos that kept the coffee nice and fresh rather than the el cheapo glass carafe with the open top. I have a Keurig that we picked up at a garage sale only used for a few weeks...It's not exactly the most efficient way to brew coffee for my consumption.

A cheap one with a nice thermos might be the way to go.

I use a French press. I have two versions a big pot (four mugs) and a small one (one cup). Boil water in microwave for 3 minutes + a couple of minutes to soak and off you go. On the bright side nothing to break. I've had these for over ten years and they still work great. Just an idea. Plus I think the coffee tastes better.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Slo

I hear what you're saying about coffee pots, Slo. We splurged and bought a Cuisinart that dispensed the coffee right from the maker (no carafe needed). It worked really well and kept the coffee hot - for about 3 months anyway - then the dispenser wouldn't stop dispensing and we had coffee all over our kitchen counter. I, too, would love some suggestions on a good one that keeps coffee really hot. And I don't want a machine that takes up half my kitchen, either.

Yep...The one prior to the one I just retired this morning was a Cuisinart. We had the same thing happen with the dispensing. I fixed that then the heating element went out...which is what happend to the one today. I don't recall the brand off the top of my head.

Technically I guess we went thru 2 in 18 months. I'm adding in the original one that we had for years. Which worked fine except DW wanted a fresher cup when she got up which led us to these brew and hold models. Great Idea, just not so much on the quality of equipment.

So after talking to my sister who works in Food Service I've decided to go with the $15 Mr. Coffee and a high end Thermal Pot which will keep the coffee hot and fresh for hours. Like Jlynne...HOT is key. I like my coffee really hot.

Just more room on the counter and another item to wash. But hey...It's cheaper than hitting the Starbucks counter and I can still have a nice hot cup within minutes of waking up.

...there is No Bad Coffee.........anyone who says otherwise should be a GreenTea Drinker......

===========

.........after surviving

a weekend of mostly driving,

http://www.wkdzradio.com/pages/20482835.php?contentType=4&contentId=16418923

my 100-year old Uncle

(former Combat Veteran of Patton's 3rd Army,  Concert Pianist and collegue of Leonard Bernstein at Radio City Music Hall)

had  the Mayor of Hopkinsville  dedicate ""Marshall Butler Day'' to him

now

the Plan Resumes-

........30-min bikeride with backbrace

36-min poolrun, with belt, deep end only

add at HotBath and TENS treatment>>>>>>>>>>YOWZA

.............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Congrats to your uncle, TW!

I think we have a cheapo Mr. Coffee.  I think it stays on for about an hour and a half before shutting off.  If we need to keep the coffee hot longer than that, we have a really  nice thermos that we fill with hot water, then once it's warn, dump the coffee in.  Hours later, the coffee is still hot.

I have a French press that I pilfered from work.  (I cleaned out the cabinet and nobody claimed it from the box.)  I haven't used it yet, but have been looking at instructions on the 'net.  Sometimes I want a decaf cup of coffee at night, and dealing with the regular coffee pot for one cup is too much if a problem.  I'll give it a go this weekend.

No running for me today, but did do 45 min of stat bike with 4 x 2 min hard w/2 min of recovery in the middle of the time.  My butt was ready to get off the bike at the end.  Ouch!  Followed that up with about 30 min of core/ST and some stretching.

I got on the scales this morning . . .

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

One note on the French press - the more fine the grind, the more will "leach" into your cup. Coarse grinds work best although I kinda like a little sludge at the bottom of my cup.