Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 5.16.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' friends!

Just another quick walk-by today, as it is and will continue to be a busy day.

The biggest trade conference of the year for us starts next Thursday, so we are working hard to finalize all the prep work. Fortunately, the conference is in Boston this year, so we can drive to it, and sleep in our own bed each night. Because it is so close, we are taking different staff members each day to they can experience the craziness first-hand. It's a great conference, and we love seeing so many of our customers, and we get great input every year that often leads to new products, so it is all very exciting. However, we'll also be glad when it is behind us.

How ironic that our painted rainbarrel silent auction, scheduled for tomorrow, is being postponed because of rain.

'Nother rest day for me. But I might head out for an easy workout tomorrow to see how it feels.

I'm wishing tail winds, comfortable temps, fleet feet, and huge grins to all of this weekend's racers:

05/17 NHLA - Cradle to Grave 30k, Pisgah Forest NC

05/17 Ileneforward - Magic Shoe 5k, Newport Bch CA

05/17 ibleedunionblue - Geist Half Marathon - Geist, IN

05/17 wildchild - Sage Burner 50k, Gunnison CO

And I hope everyone has a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM #7877

Morning everyone! Thanks for supportive comments yesterday.

Had a very good day yesterday. 1 day after taking a running day off, I had a very strong 8.5 mile run. My wife road her newly purchased bike alongside to keep me company. I hit 2000 calories and 40 grams of fat. Keep in mind, my daily fat intake over the past couple months has been typically under 20 grams, and I rarely hit 2000 calories. And this has caused health problems and possibly might be behind some concerning results on some recent blood-work. At least I hope that is what has caused the problems. Will know more next week.

Plans for the day include an easy 2-3 mile loosen everything up jog since I have a half-marathon on Saturday! Hoping for good weather and a reasonably good run, but not trying for a PR. The last marathon of the Spring is next weekend, so I really need to conserve some energy for the Buffalo Marathon.

Philippians 4:13.

Mike E

MM #5615

Speaking of the Buffalo Marathon....the 10 day forecast is saying: 53- 73o Partly Cloudy and a West wind at 8 mph.  Don't get mad at me--IBUB brought it up...

MM #7877

Looking like a good forecast!

Speaking of the Buffalo Marathon....the 10 day forecast is saying: 53- 73o Partly Cloudy and a West wind at 8 mph.  Don't get mad at me--IBUB brought it up...

Philippians 4:13.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Beautiful bridge run over the Caloosahatchee last night, about 7 and a quarter miles, First and last halves to and from, then 3 round trip crossings as the sun dropped down toward the horizon.    Just 3 this am to shake things out for the weekend,  see below.....

Keep us posted on the rainbarrel auction, Jay, please.  Hope they go for lots of dollars when they finally do get sold.

IBUB -good luck tomorrow.  I'm glad you're glad about your goals.  I'm over in that other camp  with Erika, however, in that it would pretty easy for me to put away 2000 calories and 40 grams of fat.  Wouldn't have to work at it, nope, jut a natural eater, I guess.

Now that you unpacked the snow gear, Dave, instead of repacking it, just donate it and move down here.

OK, let's get down to business, tet, Holly, Nancy, Carolyn, dive and everyone else interested in a run together.  Holly needs Oregon, and tet listed Mt. Hood 50K/50M and Siskiyou Outback, also 50K and 50M.   I realize we can't get there this year, but they're in June, so we would have all year to plan for 2015.  What do you all think??  And what about those events?    Others?  June would be a good time to travel; GENERALLY, the snows have stopped and the big storms of summer haven't materialized. 

Not racing this weekend but crewing here: Keys 100.  We're going from Largo to Key West on the One Highway (the "Overseas Highway") that connects them.   Travel and engineering fans can check it out here: Drive of a Lifetime.    (My runner is Chris Roman; send us good karma if you think of it this weekend, please.)

Note that  winners of the race are guaranteed entry into 2015 Badwater.

Now there's a gift most ofus  have atop our  wish lists, right?  Sayhey, maybe we should sponsor wildchild to run the Keys 100 in 2015 (I'll crew!).

Or if there's enough interest, how about a 6 person RA relay team?

And all the other RAers can come on down for a Keys vacation.  THink Key Lime Pie and lots of beach time.

Superior weekends to all!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Holly needs Oregon, let'a give her Oregon

I am in!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

I'd  do an Oregon trail race!  I did the Gorge Waterfalls 50k last year and it was amazing - it's in late March and sells out, so might be a tough destination race for a group, but it's worth considering.

Leslie has done SOB, and is doing Mt Hood this year, so let's get her opinion!

Sounds like a fun RA gathering at Buffalo!  Mike and Dennis doing the marathon and Dave doing the half!  But no goddesses - how sad.   I'll wave to you - I'll be nearby in Ithaca that weekend, at DD's graduation.

A guaranteed entry into Badwater - yep, that's exactly what's at the top of my bucket list!     Aamos, I think YOU should enter, and I'll crew for you!  A relay team would be fun but not in Florida, please.  Somewhere cool.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

4.4 easy miles this morning.  It was 35° when I got up but fortunately it was 45° by the time I got out for a run.

Speaking of Buffalo, did either of you other guys watch the 6 minute video of the course?  Roads don't look too good in spots so watch where you step.  I sure am glad I am only doing the first loop.

I haven't told my brother yet that I will be in the area next weekend.  Guess I should get around to that.  I've been trying to connect with a cousin to see if I could visit my aunt when I was in town.  I missed her on my last couple trips and I want to at least say hello.  I was hoping to firm that up before saying anything to my brother or other friends so I didn't cause conflicts.  Plus, there needs to be time to see the forum guys too.

TammyinGP

I wonder what kind of purse MikeE got last night?

As far as an Oregon trail race, I'm partial to SOB. they have a 15K, 50K and 50 miler. I've run the 15K and Leslie has run the 50K. the 50 miler was just added last year I think. or maybe the year before. I'm partial to it because it's about an hours drive from me and although my home is small, I have lots of land for camping     and it's a beautiful course. I'm sure all the trail races in Oregon are beautiful though.

Tammy

Mt. Hood vs. SOB:

1. The races are in July, one week apart.  One reason they did that is so people who want to run both can do well at Mt. Hood, then tackle SOB.

2. Mt. Hood only has a 50-mile option.  SOB has a 50k and 50-mile option.

3. All the races fill up FAST.  Mt. Hood filled in about 2 hrs. this year.

4. Mt. Hood 50 has about 5630 feet of elevation gain/loss over the entire course, and I believe sits at about 5000 feet in elevation.

5. SOB starts at 6500 feet and goes up from there.  The 50k has 4200 feet of elevation gain.  The 50-miler has 7000 feet of elevation gain.

6. Both races are really beautiful.  With SOB, you can stay in Ashland and drive up to the race start.  Mt. Hood, there's camping or a small town called Government Camp with lodging.  There's also the lodge at Mt. Hood, but it is tre expenseeve.

7. SOB 50k - 7.5 hrs time limit with 3 strict cutoffs, with a 7:00 a.m. start.  50-mile, 13 hrs. with 4 strict cutoffs with a 6:00 a.m. start

8. Mt. Hood - 13 hr time limit with 5:30 early start.  12 hr time limit with 6:30 regular start.

9. Mt. Hood - 174 max runners.  SOB 50k - 300 max; 50-miler 150 max.  SOB also has a 15k option.

Both races are really beautiful. Mt. Hood is smaller/more intimate.  SOB is much more of a party atmosphere, both before and after the races.

Mt. Hood no longer goes to the mountain due to a small portion of the trail running through what is now some designated wilderness, so there are two 25-mile loops.  The first loop is the most technical/annoying due to rocks and roots, but overall the course is a soft course that's mostly covered.  On the first loop, you can see Mt. Hood in the distance.  On the second loop, there are two evil climbs, the last coming before the last aid station, which is about 5.3 miles from the finish.  But after that, it's fairly flat cruising, if you can still run.  I am developing an affinity for the Mt. Hood 50 because I want that course to be my first 100 (Mt. Lakes 100).

SOB is partially covered, but definitely more exposed.  It has beautiful high mountain meadows that, in a good year, are chock full of wildflowers.

I have a love/hate relationship with SOB, mostly because of the elevation.  If one were to choose the 50-mile option, just judging from the 50k course, the SOB 50-miler is more of a challenge than Mt. Hood.  But if you're looking for a good 50k challenge, the SOB would be a good option.

So as to which one to pick, it all depends on what kind of a challenge you're up for.  If you're going for an RA hookup, the better bet is the SOB 50k.  With 300 slots, it's more likely everyone who wants to run it will get in.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Oh how I hate all of you posting about your runs!!

Just kidding.

I did walk a mile today with Lucy.

The dr. said that this bleeding is a bit out of normal, but there is no other choice but to ride it out, so in a way I am encouraged as he would have told me to come in if it were bad news.

Spareribs

I'm not a purse person myself, but more power to you, Mike.

It just dawned on The Hub this morning that I'm going to be gone for 5 days over Memorial Day Weekend.  Not sure where he's been when I've been talking about it. . . . Oh, I know.  He's a guy and only listens with half an ear half the time.   I said, "I've been talking to you about this for weeks now."  Him: "Where are you going?"  Me: "To Oregon?  We're going up into Washington and running part of the Cascade Crest trail?  I told you this."  Him: "No."  Me:

But he did asked me when I got back this morning, "How far'd you run?" Me: "7 1/2." Him: "You've been doing really well.  I'm proud of you.  You're gonna do a good job at Mt. Hood."  Me:   "Thanks, hon!"

Have a great Friday and weekend, friends ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

perfect comparison and summary, Leslie.

I'll just add that even though SOB fills up fast, it's not "hours" fast. I believe this year for example, it might have been open several weeks before the different distances filled up. I put myself on a "watch" list for the 15K as I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it this year or not, so I used the ultrasign-up system to notify me when they were at 90% capacity and I bet the registration was open for approx a month before i got the notification that they were almost filled up.

Tammy

TammyinGP

Leslie, if I remember correctly, you said you'd be arriving at my place around dinner-ish time on Thur 22nd? leaving friday a.m.?

We'll also be leaving Friday mid morning for Corvallis. David has State starting at 2:00, so I'm thinking we'll be out no later than 10:00 a.m., more like 9:00 a.m. hopefully.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Those purse sales ladies just don't take "no" for an answer.