Masters Running

40s+ on the Run - week of 11/16/08 (Read 522 times)

Good suggestion Evryday! That way we wouldn't have to admit we can't remember our own names, much less everyone's race dates. Wink Nice short 3 miler this morning...tempo + hills...no issue w/ the outside of the knee. Hoping to do 6 on Thurs (with pet sitting in the middle) and 8 on Sat. I think I may FINALLY go out to the running group out at Lake Grapevine on Sat. morning. Sat. mornings are prime time pet sitting, but I only have one visit that morning...so maybe. LOVE this fall weather!
    Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Good idea Evrday- I just posted over on Ilene's thread.My first full marathon is this Sunday.I think that Arla steps up to the plate in Jan, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the reminder, Evryday. 4.25 hilly miles this a.m. for a 10:39 ap. Mother Nature's call put a kink in getting my full 5 miles. I really have to figure how to deal with this. It's becoming more of a problem lately. I think I'm going to have to time things so that I'm close to Safeway at the desired moment. Blush BIG cat fight in our house last night. BK and Zig, who are approximately the same age, are trying to battle it out for dominance. Well, BK is. He stalks Zig (who's actually bigger), and all Zig wants is to be left alone - by everyone. I've never seen him in a fight until BK came along. The Hub, who was quite cranky last night, threatened to get rid of BK if he doesn't stop. I don't know what to do. Need to conduct some Internet research on the issue before things get really bad. Undecided

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

evryday - good idea! I'll try to pop over there. Carol - tempo + hills + happy knee + cool fall weather = a good thing! You're gonna be montrously faster with workouts like that! Leslie - hope the cats figure it out so the fighting can stop. How long have they all been together? Joe - enjoying your taper? Tongue Yeah, my marathon is Jan 11...sort of a ways yet, still have some big workouts ahead of me. Was going to go to Pasadena for a half marathon, part of the City of Pasadena Inaugural Marathon - but it got cancelled because of the fires (air quality and road closures)!! Bummer! I feel bad for anyone that was running a first half or full marathon. Sad Instead I made the trip to the coast (Morro Bay) and was rewarded with clear, breezy and warmish conditions right on the beach (same weather pattern that's fanning the flames further south) - boy, running in sand is tough, even the wet, packed stuff! Add to that up and down the cliff where it met the water here and there, and it was sort of a trail running experience. Good workout, though. Big grin Back to work. Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - hope the cats figure it out so the fighting can stop. How long have they all been together?
            BK was added to our brood over 2 years ago, and he's finally comfortable with everyone. Fatso used to be King, but he's so old, it's time for a new sheriff in town, and the other two are too young to try and dominate. We'll get it figured out, one way or another.
            Was going to go to Pasadena for a half marathon, part of the City of Pasadena Inaugural Marathon - but it got cancelled because of the fires (air quality and road closures)!! Bummer! I feel bad for anyone that was running a first half or full marathon. Sad Instead I made the trip to the coast (Morro Bay) and was rewarded with clear, breezy and warmish conditions right on the beach (same weather pattern that's fanning the flames further south) - boy, running in sand is tough, even the wet, packed stuff! Add to that up and down the cliff where it met the water here and there, and it was sort of a trail running experience. Good workout, though. Big grin
            Too bad about your HM, Arla. Your talk of Morro Bay makes me homesick. Smile

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Turkey Shoot - 16,690 turkeys blown away. My trigger finger started cramping up! http://www.southbank-design.co.uk/turkeyshoot/index.htm

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks guys and gals for posting your upcoming races. It's a convenient way to keep up on who's doing what. Ilene does a fantastic job keeping the list going. Joe....this is your first. I've looked at your log and you've got a great mileage base...you're gonna do good. Do you have a time goal? fatozzig...you've got a good base as well. 50K...isn't that about 30+ miles? WOW Shocked And did I hear your hip is giving you trouble. Hope it works itself out. Arla, you too have a great base. I would love to have a mileage base built up like you all have. I did get a nice easy 6 miler in this evening. 10:30 pace. Another beautiful day in OK. Temps are suppposed to be near record highs for this time of year tomorrow. WARNING....if you go over to today's daily thread, take toilet paper! Shocked Later my friends.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Sounds like everyone is surviving the fires, the plane cancellations, the pet-sitting, the hill runs and much more. What a busy group. Great going to all that are getting their runs in when they can. Just 2-3 weeks of school left and I'm off til Jan. 12th. Can't wait. Registration started for Spring already and I've already signed up for 3 more classes. Woohoo! The weather is very, very chilly here. The morning is going to be down right cold. Will most likely get a run in before class tomorrow night so I don't have to run in the cold a.m. Yes, I am a wimp! Thanksgiving at my house as well. I'm looking forward to it. My sister wants to run a 10k Turkey Run on Thanksgiving morning but.....I have school til freaking 8:45 Wed. night and I have 16 people coming over Thursday early afternoon so there's no way I can do it. I just have too much to do. Goodnight ya"ll.......Jewels
                  But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                    fatozzig...you've got a good base as well. 50K...isn't that about 30+ miles? WOW Shocked And did I hear your hip is giving you trouble. Hope it works itself out.
                    Thanks, Evryday. Yes, a 50k is 31.06 miles. I completed one in March (it was tough) and was swept at Mile 22 of another in July. That was a bummer. That's what I initially planned, but Coach thinks it's too soon after my marathon, so I talked him into the 30k (18.64 miles). My hip is feeling better. Not sure what that was all about. Will be doing some gentle stretching. Jewels - Good luck with the family stuff at Thanksgiving. Now that the family ain't gonna be here for that holiday, I get to sit around in my PJs all day. Yee haw!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good morning everyone.... It is freezing here in Florida...... 41*/67%, brrrrr. Should make for a nice run around 2:30 when I get out of work. I'm thinking it will probably get up to maybe 63ish by then. Evryday, did you say record high for OK? What's the forecast? Have a great day......Jewels MTA: Hands were so cold my typing was horribly bad Smile Evryday, that's still some pretty warm weather for ya this time of year. The weekend here will be back to around 70ish. I can deal with that...... Cool Thanks for poppin' in Jim. Work comes before runs. Hope the weather holds up so you can get er done and get a wee bit of relaxing/running in. This running break for you is probably good for your achilles tendonitis anyway so......
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                        expected around 75 today in OK.... Don't know if that's a record for this time of year, the weather folks may have come off of that statement.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Non-runs til we get done with harvest or have weather delays. We got 21 semi loads out yesterday, weather coming in again tonite but hopefully it will be a dud. Gotta go put a new strap to hold on a fuel tank on my white truck before it falls off. Cheers

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Hey Everbody! Quick pop-in...busy busy busy, not getting much running in - cleaning & hanging drywall up @ mtn house, moving stuff around (debating w/DS over that! Tight lipped), Fall yard cleaning (not getting much of that done) shopping for light fixtures, vent covers, hanging curtains, etc. getting ready to go up to Breck & getting some clients down here lately, chasing paperwork w/DH's car projects, DIL having some "issues" w/pregnancy so running errands - getting prescriptions or babysitting (nothing serious, & sometimes I think it's just that she's a bit "high maintenance")....guess after "lazing about" all Summer, I've made up this monster "to do" list....poor Doug! Roll eyes I'll be in as I can....found some "hot spots" up around where I'll be working, so some days I may be able to drag the computer along....if not, I'll still be down here early in the week... Now, do I take Mairead w/me for the wknd, or just run w/Misty up there & Mairead down here??? Undecided Nothing specific for Thanksgiving around here....long detailed boring story....I'll tell Doug we're going to Carols! Big grin painting's the one thing we're NOT doing this week!! Gotta Run! Ciao!
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi All- Evryday- Thanks for the compliments. My goal is a conservative 4:15 for the race.I have done a 21.2m training run faster than that (per mile pace) so I'm hoping to have a little surge at the end.I will be with the pace group though until then if all goes well. I don't think that I will try to surge until very late, so I don't bonk out! ps- your Cowboys are starting to scare me again.The biggest fear I have is that they do to us what we did to them in the playoffs last year Roll eyes Jim- 21 semi's eh? That's a lot of wheat? Corn? Keep up the good work and you'll have some down time soon. Say Hi to Lynda for us, I'm sure she'd busting hump as well! Arla- nice beach run! I bet it's beautiful there.I don't mind the sand so much as the slant of the beach. If it's level I can deal with it better. I'm planning on doing more of that soon, as well as trails. All this road running is hard on my parts! Good going with the marathon training,you're going to do great! Leslie- hope the cat's have worked things out at your place. Bummer about your "problem" while running.Do you drink coffee?That works for me real well. BTW, I'm sure Evryday would just love the story the includes the helmet light incident Clowning around Carol- glad the fall weather is suiting you well.Hope the Sat morn thing works out for you.That sounds like fun. Is your pet sitting business holding up well? Ok Jewels- no more complaining about the cold.63* sounds pretty good to me.Maybe a nice run before all that Turkey Day feasting would make ya feel good! Only 24* with a 15mph wind this morning during my 6.2 miler.Taper week has been Very good for my parts! The forecast is looking cold for the race,probably about 25* at the start.Also, there's a storm forecast for that night,just hoping it doesn't come early!Oh well ,what's that saying-"there's no bad weather,just bad clothes" Have a good one kids!! MTA- Hi Cindy- posting at the same time. I was afraid that you went "up there" already and we won't hear from you till spring! Easy on that DHub of yours and his "honeydo" list !Good luck with DIL and her baby!

Hey, All ~ Joe - I'm getting excited for you! A 4:15 finish would be very cool. Does DW know about the very sweet accommodations you were able to snag? And no, I don't drink coffee before I run in the a.m. I'm up and going by 5:00/5:30. Also, when I take in caffeine before I run, for some reason it messes with my breathing. And right now, with the colder weather, I'm already having issues. Had to use my inhaler 4 times yesterday within the first 30 minutes. Farmer Jim - We miss ya, bud. Hang in there with all that work, say "howdy" to Lynda, and don't lose your gas tank! Wink Jewels - It gets that cold in Florida?? Is that like against Mother Nature's rules or something? Cindy - Consider all of that cross training. Geez! And I thought I could be busy. Rest day for me. Contemplated getting up and an doing upper body and core workout, but the warm covers and warm kitty bodies derailed my plans. The crappy economy has hit close to home. 13 people at The Hub's work will be laid off by the end of next week. Two of the ladies are in his department, and one of them just bought a house. Undecided This sucks. He's not in jeopardy of losing his job as he is in management and has worked there for almost 20 years, but it's still scary. I want to tell him to try and not pi$$ anybody off so as not to tempt fate, but that's like asking the sun to not rise. Blush Have a great Wednesday!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance